E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.10 average. Display Modes
Old 05-11-2010, 08:10 PM   #41
Blocked Out

My Ride: Imola 330i M-Sport
I got this responce from Jared at EAC:

Re: to Mark@EACTuning***8207;
Sent: May 11, 2010 4:15:35 AM
To: tttttt@tt.com (tttttt@tt.com)
Yes, any BMW with a "bent" shifter. One of the Z3s has a straight shifter, otherwise, all others use the same shifter setup.

Thanks!
Jared

On 5/11/2010 12:22 AM, tttttt@tt.com wrote:

Hi, I was wondering when you say it will fit Any BMW manual transmission, does that include 6 speed E46 and Xi E46 transmissions?
Thanks.

====>>> E46 Coupe Airbags
IMG_1725

Last edited by Blocked Out; 06-12-2010 at 07:34 PM.
Blocked Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 10:50 PM   #42
neil1138

requested by op

Last edited by neil1138; 06-12-2010 at 05:09 PM.
neil1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:14 AM   #43
Blocked Out

Shout out to "spencers" >> identical engine and transmission, so this thread is in.

IMG_1725

Last edited by Blocked Out; 06-12-2010 at 07:31 PM.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:25 AM   #44
mvrk10256

My Ride: E30 325i
Send a message via AIM to mvrk10256
children simmer down.

Op - this is a great thread. lets stop polluting it. Almost every other thread on this site where people swap in non e46 shifters in Xi's have problems at one point or another. So to be safe lets put this. THIS SHIFTER WILL FIT ANY 5/6 SPEED E46 CAR, INCLUDING M3 - Xi OWNERS BUY AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Neil - you and I have spoken, and while the rouge kit or the active autosolutions kits are more "complete" ie. they replace more of the worn parts, actually they replace pretty much everything from the transmission to your hand, at a price close to 300 dollars, they are had to justify for a car worth maybe $5-8K range.This solution offered a large benefit (as demonstrated in the videos and photos) as well as by measurements. (about 3cm shift throw 3-4) at a not so large price.

those of you with non xi cars, please consider this an opportunity, those with xi cars please consider this a cautionary warning. if you do install this and it DOES work w/o problems please feel free to contribute something useful to this thread.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:30 AM   #45
Blocked Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvrk10256 View Post
children simmer down.

Op - this is a great thread. lets stop polluting it. Almost every other thread on this site where people swap in non e46 shifters in Xi's have problems at one point or another. So to be safe lets put this. THIS SHIFTER WILL FIT ANY 5/6 SPEED E46 CAR, INCLUDING M3 - Xi OWNERS BUY AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Neil - you and I have spoken, and while the rouge kit or the active autosolutions kits are more "complete" ie. they replace more of the worn parts, actually they replace pretty much everything from the transmission to your hand, at a price close to 300 dollars, they are had to justify for a car worth maybe $5-8K range.This solution offered a large benefit (as demonstrated in the videos and photos) as well as by measurements. (about 3cm shift throw 3-4) at a not so large price.

those of you with non xi cars, please consider this an opportunity, those with xi cars please consider this a cautionary warning. if you do install this and it DOES work w/o problems please feel free to contribute something useful to this thread.
I appreciate your positive response.

IMG_1725
Old 05-17-2010, 03:35 PM   #46
dj335Ci

My Ride: 2006 330Ci ZHP
Well I did install the BMW Performance shifter on my 5sp and it was a disaster. I should have listened! It didn't seat properly and when it was in neutral it actually looked like it was almost in 5th gear. When I shifted gears it felt like plastic on plastic rubbing especially going from 4th to 5th. Forgive me for not doing thorough research but has anyone else tried using the Z3/Z4/Z3M shifter? I've read one in this post but I would like to hear some more.

The Ultimate Ubermensch
dj335Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 02:30 PM   #47
mvrk10256

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj335Ci View Post
Well I did install the BMW Performance shifter on my 5sp and it was a disaster. I should have listened! It didn't seat properly and when it was in neutral it actually looked like it was almost in 5th gear. When I shifted gears it felt like plastic on plastic rubbing especially going from 4th to 5th. Forgive me for not doing thorough research but has anyone else tried using the Z3/Z4/Z3M shifter? I've read one in this post but I would like to hear some more.
hold on. you installed the shifter out of the 545 on your non Xi 5 speed? and it didnt seat properly? i have a feeling there was some user error here.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:16 PM   #48
Blocked Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvrk10256 View Post
hold on. you installed the shifter out of the 545 on your non Xi 5 speed? and it didnt seat properly? i have a feeling there was some user error here.
No, I believe he installed the BMW Performance shifter (the one sold in the dealership) as he stated "I did install the BMW Performance shifter on my 5sp"

IMG_1725
Old 05-21-2010, 12:07 PM   #49
mvrk10256

so there is a specific performance shifter for non M e46's sold by bmw?
Old 05-22-2010, 03:09 AM   #50
xixixi
Banned User

My Ride: 01 330x-xi
to put the xi myth to rest. it does fit it will fit anyone that wants to argue this is an idiot the levers are the same the install is different. just like turner motor sports said SS headers don't fit xi's... i called SS and they said they do fit. after 12 hours they were on my car. If you don't drive an XI don't spew trash that you have no proof of. You are only repeating the same trash the last guy with the same disease he had it will fit it will fit it will fit it will fit xi's i don't care about "mark" or this diagram or that diagram. how many ssk has "mark" installed on an xi??? how many ssk have you installed on an xi??? Speak from first hand or **** too much he said she said bullsh!t.

Last edited by xixixi; 05-30-2010 at 10:59 AM.
xixixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 08:25 AM   #51
phamine

My Ride: 01 Orient Blue 330i
Send a message via AIM to phamine Send a message via Yahoo to phamine
Thanks for the thread cap ^^^

Glad to see it works on an XI
Old 05-23-2010, 08:46 AM   #52
itscoo2pyopants

My Ride: E53 4.8is
Send a message via AIM to itscoo2pyopants
thanks op for taking time out to post a DIY
Old 05-23-2010, 03:13 PM   #53
Blocked Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by xixixi View Post
to put the xi myth to rest. it does fit it will fit anyone that wants to argue this is an idiot the levers are the same the install is different. just like turner motor sports said SS headers don't fit xi's... i called SS and they said they do fit. after 12 hours they were on my car. If you don't drive an XI don't spew trash that you have no proof of. You are only repeating the same trash the last guy with the same disease he had it will fit it will fit it will fit it will fit xi's i don't give a rats ass about "mark" or this diagram or that diagram. how many ssk has "mark" installed on an xi??? how many ssk have you installed on an xi??? Speak from first hand or **** too much he said she said bullsh!t.

EAT THAT NEIL !

Quote:
Originally Posted by itscoo2pyopants View Post
thanks op for taking time out to post a DIY
You are welcome.

IMG_1725
Old 05-24-2010, 08:16 AM   #54
rmank

My Ride: 2000 323Ci
Works perfect in 323ci

I just installed this in my 2000 323ci (155k, original clutch etc) over the weekend; 545i rod, ZHP knob, new bushing, 1 hour of time.
  • All gears line up
  • Sits perfectly center
  • Doesn't hit anything with longer lower shift rod
  • Has less side to side play
  • Shift throw shorter vs. stock (feels like about 30%)
  • Sits lower (combination of the 1/4inch shorter 545i upper shift rod and shorter ZHP knob, which also help the shorter throw)
After driving around for the weekend I wonder how I ever lived without it. I can't vouch for a 6-speed or Xi, but fit and performance is perfect in a 323ci.

Blocked Out, great find and DIY.
rmank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 09:55 AM   #55
BimmerFerret

My Ride: 08 G37S, 07 Sky RL
Send a message via Skype™ to BimmerFerret
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmank View Post
I just installed this in my 2000 323ci (155k, original clutch etc) over the weekend; 545i rod, ZHP knob, new bushing, 1 hour of time.
  • All gears line up
  • Sits perfectly center
  • Doesn't hit anything with longer lower shift rod
  • Has less side to side play
  • Shift throw shorter vs. stock (feels like about 30%)
  • Sits lower (combination of the 1/4inch shorter 545i upper shift rod and shorter ZHP knob, which also help the shorter throw)
After driving around for the weekend I wonder how I ever lived without it. I can't vouch for a 6-speed or Xi, but fit and performance is perfect in a 323ci.

Blocked Out, great find and DIY.
Thanks for this post... Just more inspiration to get this mod, the wiggle room on the stock shifter is starting to drive me nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxlo View Post
Class of '03, yet you're still an idiot. Whats your point? Do you really think that you're somehow a god because you joined a site before someone else? ****ing nerd.
BimmerFerret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 12:23 PM   #56
xixixi
Banned User

just to further my point UUC SSK have the worst fitment out of all the SSKits. Rarely do we agree to install them due to the fitment issues. An even cheaper SSK is from HPF's it fits on e46s even though its not listed. search megan racing under hpf site and you should be able to find it. it has a blue cup on it. here is the link just so everyone knows. http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/part...hifters//11203 great product fitment is great minus a slight twist in the lever. (which i still believe was designed that way to help avoid money shifts) 45 bucks for a ssk well worth it you can spend all the money you saved on other mods as i did. It's clear why you can't find these parts shopping by year/model. use the shop by brand filter. those search engines are designed to make the most money not to inform you how to cut corners and save money. great DIY! horrid thread bashing, mods clean this thread up for the OP!!! so NO mistakes are made haters/thread bashers please see on the link listed above and again here http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/part...hifters//11203 all the models for this shifter... ci, i, XI (perhaps you missed it X I) it's all the same. wonder why... oh wait we covered that. Guess these guys are lying about installation too.. speak first hand or s+fu

Last edited by xixixi; 05-24-2010 at 12:29 PM.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:30 PM   #57
BimmerFerret

My Ride: 08 G37S, 07 Sky RL
Send a message via Skype™ to BimmerFerret
Quote:
Originally Posted by xixixi View Post
just to further my point UUC SSK have the worst fitment out of all the SSKits. Rarely do we agree to install them due to the fitment issues. An even cheaper SSK is from HPF's it fits on e46s even though its not listed. search megan racing under hpf site and you should be able to find it. it has a blue cup on it. here is the link just so everyone knows. http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/part...hifters//11203 great product fitment is great minus a slight twist in the lever. (which i still believe was designed that way to help avoid money shifts) 45 bucks for a ssk well worth it you can spend all the money you saved on other mods as i did. It's clear why you can't find these parts shopping by year/model. use the shop by brand filter. those search engines are designed to make the most money not to inform you how to cut corners and save money. great DIY! horrid thread bashing, mods clean this thread up for the OP!!! so NO mistakes are made haters/thread bashers please see on the link listed above and again here http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/part...hifters//11203 all the models for this shifter... ci, i, XI (perhaps you missed it X I) it's all the same. wonder why... oh wait we covered that. Guess these guys are lying about installation too.. speak first hand or s+fu
Wow thanks man!!

Not sure what a "money" shift is though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxlo View Post
Class of '03, yet you're still an idiot. Whats your point? Do you really think that you're somehow a god because you joined a site before someone else? ****ing nerd.

Last edited by BimmerFerret; 05-24-2010 at 12:35 PM.
BimmerFerret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 01:13 PM   #58
xixixi
Banned User

2nd to 3rd is good... 3rd to 2nd when trying to hit 4th is going to cost you money
Old 05-26-2010, 12:25 AM   #59
Tate325xi

My Ride: 325xi & CLK55 AMG
blocked out don't listen to neils sh!t. this looks like a great mod and when i have the money, i will def try and do it on my xi, and let you know how it goes. great write up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 217Bimmer View Post
sometimes i'm into it and my one hand gets tired, i try switching, but then it's like someone with lou gehrig's trying to peel a carrot.
Tate325xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 03:06 PM   #60
Bimmerboi325

My Ride: 2003 BMW 325i
Blocked out you are a beast for not only posting this DIY but for also shutting Neils down as well
Bimmerboi325 is offline   Reply With Quote