E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-24-2010, 04:51 PM   #1
bimmer654

My Ride: 2004 330xi
Calling XI's with a Drop...are u happy with ride comfort???

So I was thinking about doing a drop, but when I did a search it seems like many XI owners who did this regret it due to a harsh ride as a result. I would be interested in hearing from those who have done it & how your ride compares to stock. If lowering with springs & sport shocks will give a bone jarring ride, I'll think I will stick with the SUV look since ride quality/comfort is more important to me than looks. Also I would be interested in hearing from those who did a coilover. How much drop did it give you & is ride quality close to stock? Thanks much for your input.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:16 AM   #2
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
I'm stock springs with Bilstein HD's, so no drop. Dinan gets the best marks for ride comfort. H&R springs are the worst. Eibach is somewhere in between.

I'd love a set of coilovers that would be stock height at their highest and h&r low at their lowest.

Bilstein Sport shocks seem to offer almost zero travel on an xi- they are going to be very rough regardless of spring choice. Much different than the ride the RWDers get on Bilsteins.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 11:49 AM   #3
delmarco

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
Why would you pay money for all wheel drive vehicle and then drop it?

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917

Last edited by delmarco; 05-25-2010 at 11:59 AM.
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 11:52 AM   #4
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
Why would you pay money for and wheel drive vehicle and then drop it?
because they feel they need an "xi" in the snow rather than going with snow tires...

no offense OP, i'm sure you have your own reasons... but after having blizzacks in RI for 3 years, there is absolutely no reason to get an Xi

on the flip side, maybe the OP found the "perfect" e46 and it just so happened to have xi

Last edited by JJR4884; 05-25-2010 at 12:10 PM.
JJR4884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 12:40 PM   #5
Kubica

Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhh.

Let's change the thread name to: "RWDers, Come speculate about the XI"

I personally see no reason to buy a 330i when you can buy an M3. In the e46 stable, a 330i doesn't do anything the best. M3's smoke the bejesus out of you in the dry, and a 330xi is faster than you in the wet and snow.

M3 or Xi FTW.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:49 PM   #6
e36-2.0

My Ride: 330xi
kubica
dinan just uses rebranded H&R sport and koni yellows... same thing.
these springs are actually quite harsh. very similar spring rates to H&R race

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJR4884 View Post
because they feel they need an "xi" in the snow rather than going with snow tires...

no offense OP, i'm sure you have your own reasons... but after having blizzacks in RI for 3 years, there is absolutely no reason to get an Xi

on the flip side, maybe the OP found the "perfect" e46 and it just so happened to have xi

i rock dedicated snow tires for the winter months and its FAR better than my e36 with winters. even though i did think my e36 was already fantastic in the snow. i would never trust a rwd with winters outside the city where conditions are far more unpredictable.

'02 330xi
Konigsport/Ground Control/DPE/BMW Motorsport/Eurosport/Turner Motorsport/PowerFlex/RacingDynamics/Hotchkis/UUC/Beisan/Bimmerworld/Dinan/Conforti/RPI/GroupN/Technik/Dynavin

Alberta's BMW enthusiast forum.
-Projecttechnik.com
e36-2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 12:50 PM   #7
winston330xi

My Ride: 2001 bmw 330xi
To OP, I have hr sport springs and it is a bit harsher than stock but definitely bearable. The look is great and sportiness feel factor does improve. I love it. Good luck with your decision.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:50 PM   #8
JJR4884

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubica View Post

I personally see no reason to buy a 330i when you can buy an M3. In the e46 stable, a 330i doesn't do anything the best. M3's smoke the bejesus out of you in the dry, and a 330xi is faster than you in the wet and snow.

M3 or Xi FTW.
if you read my entire post you would know it wasn't a dig towards Xi owners

but the fact of the matter is, Xi's are "necessary" for winter... you only drive in the snow (literally) maybe a few days out of the year, other than that you are driving on plowed pavement that might have black ice, etc...

RWD with snow tires work COMPLETELY fine

touchy about have an Xi are we? lol
Old 05-25-2010, 12:52 PM   #9
e36-2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubica View Post

M3 or Xi FTW.
xi's also have a faster 0-60 than regular 330s according to motorweek hahaha

'02 330xi
Konigsport/Ground Control/DPE/BMW Motorsport/Eurosport/Turner Motorsport/PowerFlex/RacingDynamics/Hotchkis/UUC/Beisan/Bimmerworld/Dinan/Conforti/RPI/GroupN/Technik/Dynavin

-Projecttechnik.com
Old 05-25-2010, 12:56 PM   #10
JJR4884

Quote:
Originally Posted by e36-2.0 View Post
i rock dedicated snow tires for the winter months and its FAR better than my e36 with winters. even though i did think my e36 was already fantastic in the snow. i would never trust a rwd with winters outside the city where conditions are far more unpredictable.
i would never doubt that Xi with snow tires is anything less than perfect in the snow

however what is your driving habits where your car is unpredictable? I'm not trying to cause an argument, but common sense will tell you if conditions on the road are bad, it doesn't matter what kind of drivetrain/tires you have, you drive with extra caution

if you want to talk about swerving out of the way or slipping on black ice... ya MAYBE if you use Xi to straighten out you'll have the upper hand, but 9 times out of 10, your reaction in a case of "unpredictable conditions" will cause you to use your brakes, not your gas pedal.... and in that case, it won't matter if you have 4wd or RWD
Old 05-25-2010, 12:58 PM   #11
JJR4884

Quote:
xi's also have a faster 0-60 than regular 330s according to motorweek hahaha
well i would hope so.... 0-30mph should happen quickly and with ease
Old 05-25-2010, 01:04 PM   #12
e36-2.0

Quote:
i would never doubt that Xi with snow tires is anything less than perfect in the snow

however what is your driving habits where your car is unpredictable? I'm not trying to cause an argument, but common sense will tell you if conditions on the road are bad, it doesn't matter what kind of drivetrain/tires you have, you drive with extra caution

if you want to talk about swerving out of the way or slipping on black ice... ya MAYBE if you use Xi to straighten out you'll have the upper hand, but 9 times out of 10, your reaction in a case of "unpredictable conditions" will cause you to use your brakes, not your gas pedal.... and in that case, it won't matter if you have 4wd or RWD
i think where i live we get some of the worst conditions where ice is very prominent with -40 celcus weather and the thickest of snow falls. of course driver experience does play a role but the added traaction and stability is just a no brainer. i do still miss rwd in the summer months even tho it is slower jk

'02 330xi

-Projecttechnik.com
Old 05-25-2010, 01:09 PM   #13
JJR4884

ahhhhh ya i didn't see your location... little bit different than the northeast over here

slower? GOOD, i'd rather be driving slower
Old 05-25-2010, 01:10 PM   #14
bimmer654

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
Why would you pay money for all wheel drive vehicle and then drop it?
The drop is for looks mainly & handling too, but whether you drop or not you still have AWD..so I'm not seeing your point???
Old 05-25-2010, 01:20 PM   #15
Kubica

Quote:
kubica
dinan just uses rebranded H&R sport and koni yellows... same thing.
these springs are actually quite harsh. very similar spring rates to H&R race
Hey I understand the Dinan springs are made by H&R, but i am fairly certain they are different. The reason I think this (besides the fact I have seen no proof) is the fact that I've driven Sna77's xi with Koni and H&R, and the ride was night and day different than the Dinan stage 1 setup for xi. I've read that Dinan "valves" their Koni's differently than those you can buy off the shelf, but i'm not sure just valving the shocks different would change the characteristics that much. All of this leads me to believe the Dinan springs, though made by H&R, are different to the ones readily available from sponsors.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:23 PM   #16
bimmer654

Quote:

I bought the XI so I don't have to worry about the harsh New England winters. With all due respect, after owning both a 5 & 7 series with rear wheel drive I have to disagree with you...they suck in the snow with or without blizzacks. Whereas with our famous noreasters my XI will plow through just about anything & the rear wheel drives are off in a bank somewhere or spinning sideways up a hill.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:57 PM   #17
Kubica

Quote:

Haha. JJ, I'm sorry but you just don't get it man. Haha. You have never driven an xi in the snow! Do you know how i know? Becasue an xi is never unpredictable in the snow! Haha.

I drive retarded fast in the snow- I'm a ski racer. My xi does 15+ trips a year from Boston>>Jay Peak (it's on the VT/Quebec border if you didn't know). I stepped up to studded Nokian Hakkas last winter becasue i wanted to go even faster in the snow. You may have to slow down and "drive with extra caution" with your blizzaks. I'm the guy doing 85+mph in the unplowed left lane- you are the guy stuck behind a plow spreading rock salt all over your hood.
Old 05-25-2010, 02:00 PM   #18
botaman

My Ride: 330xi/5 530/5SC
The none XI owners are good at speculating. The XI are not only faster but will bring you home in any kind of blizzards that mother nature brings on any terrain of Upstate NY and Vermont. Oh! and don't tell me Subaru and Audi are better because we really don't give a damn if they are.
botaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 03:36 PM   #19
GCoop

My Ride: '04 325xi
NIght and day difference between capabilities of an XI vs non XI on winter tread.

With that said I really cant add to the topic at hand because I am running stock and have no experience with a lowered XI. So I guess all I am doing is just adding fuel to the fire.
GCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 04:28 PM   #20
Kubica

Quote:
Originally Posted by botaman View Post
The none XI owners are good at speculating. The XI are not only faster but will bring you home in any kind of blizzards that mother nature brings on any terrain of Upstate NY and Vermont. Oh! and don't tell me Subaru and Audi are better because we really don't give a damn if they are.
Botaman for President!