E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-26-2010, 03:10 PM   #41
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHiXi View Post
LOL your RWD car in the snow with snow-tires is RETARDEDLY terrible and you don't even know it!
awwwwwwwww someone wanted to get a word in.... adorable

(another over-sensitive Xi owner)

keep reading sunshine
Old 05-26-2010, 03:17 PM   #42
MileHiXi
Banned

My Ride: '02 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJR4884 View Post
awwwwwwwww someone wanted to get a word in.... adorable

(another over-sensitive Xi owner)

keep reading sunshine
I love it that your car is slower and can't go in the snow. HILARIOUS! Srsly tho. . . M3, XI or a different car.

So you've made it up all the "hills" in RI. Try coming and pulling that **** in february in Colorado where the "hills" are 14000 feet tall and where 3 inches of snow isn't called a "storm."
MileHiXi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 03:20 PM   #43
JJR4884

Quote:
I love it that your car is slower and can't go in the snow. HILARIOUS! Srsly tho. . . M3, XI or a different car.

So you've made it up all the "hills" in RI. Try coming and pulling that **** in february in Colorado where the "hills" are 14000 feet tall and where 3 inches of snow isn't called a "storm."
and when in this thread did i try to compare RI conditions to CO conditions?

now you are looking for an argument... haha, look at you all worked up

the only reason i responded to the OP that way is because he is in CT.. not once did i say (or have i ever said) that RWD will be as good as AWD in any conditions, let alone 14000 feet mountains

stop being pathetic please

m3, xi, or a different car? LOL... thats like me saying get a subaru if you want to get 4wd... seriously, we are all FANATICS, not once did i rip on Xi

Last edited by JJR4884; 05-26-2010 at 03:31 PM.
JJR4884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 03:22 PM   #44
wdeerfield

My Ride: 2009 E90, 2011 F10
Quote:
you are retarded, you seriously are.... please see BOLDED parts to prove how much of a dumbass you are

WHEN DID I SAY MY CAR WAS SOOOOOOOOOO MUCH BETTER.... NEVER

and

I NEVER SAID I WOULD RATHER BE IN AN RWD CAR, NOR DID I DISCREDIT THE CAPABILITIES OF AN AWD WITH SNOWS

and

WHEN DID I SAY AWD WAS A MARKETING GIMMICK????

butthurt? ya clearly you are if you are making up things that you "thought" i said

i'll say this one last goddamn time... for the weather here in RI (just like YOU referenced your driving habits/conditions on the way to VT)... there is never more than a couple inches on the ground, if that... with that being said, RWD with snow tires is COMPLETELY FINE

if you can't agree with that, then you need to open your eyes... you are talking about going 80 in all this snow and not losing control, idk wtf kinda bullshit is running through your mind, but where the fvck are you coming up with ideas like that? why is whatever you are saying even relevent?

on page 1 i even said to another member "oh i didn't check where you were from (calgary) and then AGREED THAT AWD WOULD BE A BETTER CHOICE"

please.... put your guard down and READ everything i have said in this thread

once again... PLEASE READ what i am saying, because clearly you haven't been able to read a goddamn thing yet

2009 MBM E90 | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | CA | 6FL | NAV | XENONS | 18x8.5 VB3s ET30/25
2011 JB F10 | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | 6FL | NAV | 331s Square
wdeerfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 03:29 PM   #45
MileHiXi
Banned

Dinan suspension here and I've found that the ride quality is certainly more harsh than before, but the amount of rubber on the car makes a big difference. I've got 17's in the winter and 18's in the summer and I notice a big difference between the two. On 18's the ride is harsh and my tires tramline like crazy. On 17's the ride is actually not too bad and I get no tramlining.

The big question in my mind is whether dropping an XI actually affects CV/CV-boot failure. Front axles are expensive.

Quote:
stop being pathetic please
Don't tell me how to live my life. Now go sell your car and get an XI or an M3. Or maybe a ZHP.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:36 PM   #46
JJR4884

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeerfield View Post
by that response i'll take it you have no other thoughts or comebacks, either that or you were too stubborn to read

Quote:
Don't tell me how to live my life.
I can in fact tell you how to live your life, however you don't necessarily have to listen

this is just amuzing now, keep going Xi owners... i'm allllll ears
Old 05-26-2010, 03:42 PM   #47
MileHiXi
Banned

Quote:
by that response i'll take it you have no other thoughts or comebacks, either that or you were too stubborn to read

I can in fact tell you how to live your life, however you don't necessarily have to listen

Is that a picture of yourself in your avatar? Listen, I had no idea you were. . .

We should hang out.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:48 PM   #48
bimmer654

My Ride: 2004 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZemogFC3S View Post
Wow this thread has been pointless.

Back to the original subject. I have a set of H&R springs that have been sitting my garage for 2 years now. My car has 92k miles and I'm ready to get the worn struts out, but I'm worried about having a crashy, harsh ride.

Who has the smoothest ride and what strut/ spring combo do you use? Should I just replace my struts and leave the stock springs on? Are the H&Rs really the worst for comfort? Is it even possible to keep a smooth ride with aftermarket suspension parts?
+1 Thank you...I'm OP & even I was getting to think this was a snow thread.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:52 PM   #49
wdeerfield

My Ride: 2009 E90, 2011 F10
I dont think that a mild drop of 1-2 inches will affect the cv/boots too much. ive only see a few issues of this and that was with ///a's kw's. The way im seeing it when i get a suspension setup, whatever it may be, itll be much better than old tired shocks/springs with 96kmi on em.

Quote:
no need for comebacks. it seems you just know everything about xi's, weather patterns, and the plowing capabilities of every town in the New England area. i can now see how you got your 14000+ posts..

2009 MBM E90 | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | CA | 6FL | NAV | XENONS | 18x8.5 VB3s ET30/25
2011 JB F10 | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | 6FL | NAV | 331s Square
wdeerfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 03:53 PM   #50
bimmer654

My Ride: 2004 330xi
Quote:

geeeezus JJ...this a XI suspension thread, not AWD vs RW or how great your Blizzaks can go in 2 inches of snow. Will ya please give it a rest & let us get back to topic.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:01 PM   #51
JJR4884

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer654 View Post
geeeezus JJ...this a XI suspension thread, not AWD vs RW or how great your Blizzaks can go in 2 inches of snow. Will ya please give it a rest & let us get back to topic.
will all due respect, i said one thing how RWD with snows are fine in a little bit of snow, and i have a half of dozen Xi members down my throat accusing me of saying RWD is just as good as Xi and how RWD bimmers are SOOO much better than Xi's

Do me a favor, look at all of my posts, did i sit here bashing people's cars and ragging on Xi's? come on now... ... tell your Xi buddies to stop being so immature
Old 05-26-2010, 04:02 PM   #52
MileHiXi
Banned

FWIW, i've been dropped for about 1.5 years and now have a worn out inner cv joint. the boot never tore and yet the cv joint is cooked. just a little more anecdotal evidence that maybe a drop does cause problems. Obviously it's not conclusive evidence.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:05 PM   #53
JJR4884

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeerfield View Post
no need for comebacks. it seems you just know everything about xi's, weather patterns, and the plowing capabilities of every town in the New England area. i can now see how you got your 14000+ posts..
it does?

weird... i didn't say ONE THING about Xi's in this entire thread.. i did mention on page 1 that i would "imagine they are nothing less than perfect with snow tires"... other than that, lol i didn't say one thing about Xi's

hmm... weird

if you people stopped putting words in my mouth maybe i would have left here a long time ago...
Old 05-26-2010, 04:08 PM   #54
MileHiXi
Banned

Quote:

weird... i didn't say ONE THING about Xi's in this entire thread..
Quote:
no offense OP, i'm sure you have your own reasons... but after having blizzacks in RI for 3 years, there is absolutely no reason to get an Xi

Old 05-26-2010, 04:11 PM   #55
xi325xi02

My Ride: 325xi
JR I agree with you on every point youve made, it seems as if most XI drivers are touchy about their cars. Maybe its because we have noticeably slower cars than the RWD peeps. I do think that the XI is better in snow, but **** thats just common sense. People freak out over RWD cars in snow. My moms old maxima was so much worse than my dad's ///m in the snow. Anyway more to the point. I have springs that give me a small drop. My shocks are holding up fine, looks great, firmed up a little. Happy with results. All other XI drivers.. chill a bit please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebad328i View Post
you want ladys damm, get a punchin hard ass sound system
I HATE CVT'S
xi325xi02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 04:23 PM   #56
MileHiXi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xi325xi02 View Post
JR I agree with you on every point youve made, it seems as if most XI drivers are touchy about their cars. Maybe its because we have noticeably slower cars than the RWD peeps. I do think that the XI is better in snow, but **** thats just common sense. People freak out over RWD cars in snow. My moms old maxima was so much worse than my dad's ///m in the snow. Anyway more to the point. I have springs that give me a small drop. My shocks are holding up fine, looks great, firmed up a little. Happy with results. All other XI drivers.. chill a bit please.
You should watch the motorweek you tube vid on page one.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:25 PM   #57
xi325xi02

My Ride: 325xi
Quote:
Idk i just cant believe it. I know my car is sower than a 325i. Maybe it just pertains to the 330, but somehow i doubt it. Hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebad328i View Post
you want ladys damm, get a punchin hard ass sound system
I HATE CVT'S
xi325xi02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 05:08 PM   #58
JJR4884

Quote:
At least one person can actually understand what i was actually saying, thank you. Of course Xi is better in the snow, like you said its common sense...

Quote:
Not to open up another can of worms... but referencing that the Xi is faster from 0-60 is like me saying "well the 330i is faster 5-60"

two different drivetrains... apples and oranges

on a side note... while i don't doubt that the Xi should be faster 0-60, 6.2 isn't that great of a time... Road and Track put down 6.1 for the 330Ci, so i would think with the right times, an Xi could break 6
Old 05-26-2010, 05:19 PM   #59
MileHiXi
Banned

Quote:
Idk i just cant believe it. I know my car is sower than a 325i. Maybe it just pertains to the 330, but somehow i doubt it. Hmmm
I have my doubts as well, but you never know. Also, I've heard XI's are approx 200lbs heavier. . . that's a lot of weight, making it that much harder to believe.

That said, the "official" 0-60 times are notoriously inaccurate so it could be true.

Quote:
...i don't doubt that the Xi should be faster 0-60, 6.2 isn't that great of a time... Road and Track put down 6.1 for the 330Ci, so i would think with the right times, an Xi could break 6
None of our cars are particularly "fast" by comparison to all the new cars you see driving around. I've always just enjoyed the smooth power curve of the m54 motor and the classic great BMW handling. Not to mention great looks. So, I'm not real concerned with 0-60 times. I almost never floor it anyway.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:31 PM   #60
JJR4884

Quote:

None of our cars are particularly "fast" by comparison to all the new cars you see driving around. I've always just enjoyed the smooth power curve of the m54 motor and the classic great BMW handling. Not to mention great looks. So, I'm not real concerned with 0-60 times. I almost never floor it anyway.
i can't even call them "quick" anymore... nevermind fast.. and i agree, there are far more attributes to the e46 than how fast it is(n't)