E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-26-2009, 11:20 PM   #61
lafabritto325ci

My Ride: 2008 E90 335i
do u happen to have the part no? and where is it located????
Old 08-08-2009, 01:55 AM   #62
hshirl

My Ride: 2001 330ci
i was away for a while. don't know if you've got the part no. already but here it is: 64118369805
hshirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 04:26 PM   #63
lafabritto325ci

thanks... im going to order it and hopefully it fixes the issue... cuz FL summer+black leather+ no AC= FAIL
Old 08-15-2009, 01:39 PM   #64
lafabritto325ci

just got done replacing iit and it sure feels alot better!!!! but its hot as hell.... we'll see when i go out with the car later.....
Old 08-23-2009, 03:14 AM   #65
hshirl

lafabritto325ci, did the AC problem go away? i'm hoping you have good news for us.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:06 AM   #66
Silver325

My Ride: 2002 325i
, I have this same problem. After reading this and other posts, there are several causes for this issue. The HCV failed, low freon, or issues with stepper motor(s) inside the dash. Seems to me if you get nice cold AC with the engine cool, the freon charge should be fine. Once the engine gets up to temp, hot coolant flows to the HCV, which should be closed with AC on if working properly. If it is failed it sticks open causing the mixed heat/cool air issue. What still confuses me is the folks who replace the HCV and still have the problem. Do the stepper motors send signals to the HCV? If a stepper motor is bad, will it cause the HCV to stick open?

Meyle control arms, M3 RTAB's, Bridgstone Potenza RE760
Silver325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 11:33 AM   #67
lafabritto325ci

hey guys... i replaced my hcv and its still blowing hot air... im taking the car next week to the mechanic so he can look at it and hopefully it needs just a recharge on freon...
Old 09-12-2009, 02:48 AM   #68
hshirl

sorry to hear that the problem wasn't solved after replacing the water valve. so did it turn out to be a recharge of your ac system? or is it something else?
Old 03-03-2010, 12:52 AM   #69
330i_guy

My Ride: 330i
do u remember how much they charged you to fixed the flap? since they had to took the dash out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowmann View Post
My AC problem has been fix by Sun BMW dealer locally here. Since I had try to trouble shoot most of what I can on my own, the only thing left was let the pro look at it. They were just that, found the problem to be one of my stepper motor went bad out of the 5 in the dash. They took the dash out and also notice that the center control dial didn't turn the flap correctly to give the right air flow. They made adjustment and its all good now just in time for summer temperature.

Charlie
330i_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 06:03 PM   #70
Adam330i

My Ride: 03 M3
What if I have warm air coming out of all vents? I cannot find any solutions for that. Andboy got ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
There are two common failure modes of "A/C blowing warm":

If you have warm air blowing on both sides and cold air out of other vents your Heater Control valve needs replaced as it is stuck "open" and making the heater function. This is a common failure in our cars. THE HCV is mounted onto the driver wheel well under the air intake bits.

If you have warm air blowing on the passenger side and cold air on the driver side, you have low refrigerant in your A/C loop. Two steps are required here: 1) find out where the refrigerant went. This usually needs a professionally equipped shop to do, then 2) after the leak is resolved, recharge with proper level of refrigerant.
Adam330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:41 PM   #71
vadercelica

My Ride: 323Ci
GOod write up need to check all of these. also the hissing noise comes from one i look at? what is this from? the compressor?
vadercelica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 06:04 PM   #72
pjo33us

My Ride: 03 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam330i View Post
What if I have warm air coming out of all vents? I cannot find any solutions for that. Andboy got ideas?
Have you found a solution for this yet?
Old 07-13-2010, 08:23 PM   #73
Silver325

My Ride: 2002 325i
I just fixed mine!!!

I replaced the HCV. $87 from BavAuto and I swapped it out in less than 30 minutes. Just in time for the real hot weather.

Meyle control arms, M3 RTAB's, Bridgstone Potenza RE760
Silver325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 02:44 PM   #74
datssoled

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
I had similar symptoms before, when i had my temp dial set to the three blue dots and my tempersture set at the at the lowest, my top vents blew out cold air fine. The problem was I kept feeling hot air coming out from gas pedal area. A friend suggested to look over this thread, so I replaced my water valve. Problem solved.

I have not felt as much heat from the foot area for a month or two, but a few days ago, with my climate control set to auto, and my sandals on, I felt warm air coming out from the area that is to the right of the gas pedal. The air coming out was not as hot as before I changed the water valve, but with the temperature and dial set to the coldest, warm air is still coming out from there.

Any thoughts on what the problem is?
Old 05-20-2011, 05:49 PM   #75
rhuie1

My Ride: '01 325i - AASC 8psi
If you get this figured out, please reply to this thread. I've had that problem for the past 2 or 3 years now. Replaced the water valve - no change. The only way I get cold air is if I don't use the Auto function, but I select the Top and Middle air buttons. The face and top vents will blow cold, but when the car gets hot, the vents by my feet blow hot as hell.

Next step is to remove the dash, however I don't have the time to take the dash out, try and figure out what the broken part is, order the part, wait for it to be delivered, and then put it all back together. I suspect its an actuator motor or a stuck vent... however I can't find individual parts for that on realoem.com. If I even had a guess at the parts it could be, I'd start buying them and replace them when the dash is out. Realoem shows the center vents as one unit. If someone who has done this knows of the individual part numbers that I can order, PLEASE pass that on as I'm so sick of this issue.

Thanks
rhuie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 06:56 PM   #76
pjo33us

My Ride: 03 330xi
Check your AC levels first

Guys,

If you have not done so already, have your refrigerant levels checked first. It needs to be EXACTLY to spec (its in the Bentley manual). I had mine charged by a shop and it did not work correctly until I took it back, had them hook up the system and dump some of the refrigerant. It was about 2 pounds heavy.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:24 PM   #77
rhuie1

My Ride: '01 325i - AASC 8psi
My refrigerant levels checked OK.

I also went back and checked realoem and found some actuators (I forgot I had found them years ago)... unfortunately there is no diagram that shows where these go. They're also not cheap - so I'd rather have a diagram that shows the actuators, or a DIY on how to diagnose and replace these before tearing the dash apart. Already got burned on a water valve I didn't need.
rhuie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 02:07 PM   #78
datssoled

Anyone?
Old 05-26-2011, 01:40 PM   #79
Cobra

My Ride: '00 328i & '06 R6S
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
There are two common failure modes of "A/C blowing warm":

If you have warm air blowing on both sides and cold air out of other vents your Heater Control valve needs replaced as it is stuck "open" and making the heater function. This is a common failure in our cars. THE HCV is mounted onto the driver wheel well under the air intake bits.

If you have warm air blowing on the passenger side and cold air on the driver side, you have low refrigerant in your A/C loop. Two steps are required here: 1) find out where the refrigerant went. This usually needs a professionally equipped shop to do, then 2) after the leak is resolved, recharge with proper level of refrigerant.
would this hold true for hot air coming out with the air system completely off? a ton of hot air comes into the car from the floor panel, only on the driver side, but the air system is off, and the slider in the center is set to 3 blue dots, obviously.

Last edited by Cobra; 05-26-2011 at 02:32 PM.
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 03:02 PM   #80
datssoled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
would this hold true for hot air coming out with the air system completely off? a ton of hot air comes into the car from the floor panel, only on the driver side, but the air system is off, and the slider in the center is set to 3 blue dots, obviously.

same here.

Tags
heat, vent