E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2010, 10:55 PM   #1
Greek Dinan

My Ride: Dinan 330Ci
Swap Question Help

I dont post on the forums much. I usually just read through threads to gather information. Anyways, I have seen some crazy swaps into BMWs. A thought ran through my head for a swap the other day, and I know others have thought of this, but I cant find any information.

I drive a 330Ci. I have read that the M54B30's cylinder linings are bored so thin that you cant do much with them and it is impossible to re-sleeve the block. Also the harmonics issues, because of the longer stroke, cause tons of problems above 6k RPM. Such as breaking the oil squirters or even damaging the oil pump. ATi has come up with a dampener to solve these problems, but it is interference fit custom made for that particular crank. AND there is no installation tool.

What I am wondering is, if it is possible to swap an S50 into the 330Ci since it would still be the same displacement and stronger as it is cast iron(plus more aftermarket products available). Also, could re-flashing the DME allow the car to pass emissions. Anyone ever hear of this swap being done and being done correctly?

Any info will be appreciated,
Dan
Greek Dinan is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:15 PM   #2
cnotesdip

My Ride: 330ci
thats pre obd2 no way you can pass inspection with that engine the cars 95 and older obey a different emission laws so any car 96 and older is made to comply with the obd2 program 95 and older no good so if you get an engine try to get one thats a 96 i dont know if the s50 were made for 96 and older then it would be hell trying to make it work you may also need the computer and a lot of time trying to wire everything up
cnotesdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 02:50 AM   #3
Greek Dinan

Yes it is pre OBD2 and in Illinois they only plug into the DLC and check the readiness monitors for READY and if there are any codes stored(as far as I could tell). But the S50 is just an engine block. If I could get all the sensors to work on that engine block and rig some things up to work properly Im wondering if it would work. The only other alternative would be this. Swap in an S50/S52 along with the DME and complete harness.

I say this because one of my best friends had a 1997 Civic hatch with a full Integra GSR swap. Using the GSR harness and PCM. He took it in for emissions testing. They plugged it in and he passed. Now wouldnt that set a red flag for having a different PCM? B18C5 PCM vs a D16PCM? Im thinking if it worked for him, then would it work in a BMW?
Old 06-06-2010, 10:36 AM   #4
Bimmer Dude Xi

My Ride: 03 325XI 07 ZX-6R
Send a message via AIM to Bimmer Dude Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greek Dinan View Post
I say this because one of my best friends had a 1997 Civic hatch with a full Integra GSR swap. Using the GSR harness and PCM. He took it in for emissions testing. They plugged it in and he passed. Now wouldnt that set a red flag for having a different PCM? B18C5 PCM vs a D16PCM? Im thinking if it worked for him, then would it work in a BMW?
you cant compare a honda to a bmw, honda are like erector set in my opinion. You can practical throw any honda made part it and make it work. Bmw is.... well a bmw. There isnt much wiring complications in honda like we have with our cars. I say this because I recently seen a 850Ci with a E39 M5 motor in it and the wiring was a mess. The car runs but I saw what a mess it can be. You can take the chance and do it, but its gonna come big $$$

|Dinan High Flow Air Box|Eibach Pro Kit|Koni Sport|UUC Strut Barbarian|UUC TSE3|UUC Underdrive Pulleys|18" VMR V710|

|BMC Race Air Filter|CRG Spectrum Levers| Galfer Steel Braided Brake Lines|Volar Motorsport Spiked Frame & Bar-end Sliders|
Bimmer Dude Xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 12:32 PM   #5
Greek Dinan

I see your point with Hondas. Makes sense. Also, if i decided to sell my 330 and get an e36 M3 I would still lose tons of money considering what I paid for it and the money Ive already put in it after the warranty went out. Plus I like the E46 body style. Im a tech for Ford, so I would do most of the work. Wiring and electronics come easy for me actually, as long as I have diagrams and etc. But is possible to pass emissions with the S52 in an E46? Since its still an OBD2 system, can someone tune it to pass? or will it just pass when they plug into the DLC? Thats the main problem with this swap.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:26 PM   #6
Justin@SharkInjectorDirect
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: Many Cars
No, it would not pass. At least something like that would not pass in Utah.

I really don't think you could even do the swap and have it run. A BMW is no Honda. A Honda has ONE computer in it, the E46 has many. The E36 electronics are not going to talk to the E46 electronics.

The M52 with cams(I mean S52) makes less than 10hp more than the M54. Just seems like a completely pointless thing to do with almost no real benefits.
Justin@SharkInjectorDirect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 02:09 PM   #7
Greek Dinan

I also have been thinking about the other electronics and the communication between modules etc. But there has to be some kind of solution to that. As far as benefits go, there are some. Its a cast iron block with a lot more aftermarket support then an M54B30. S52 doesnt have the harmonics issues and I wouldnt have to worry about the cylinder lings if something went wrong. Also, Ive been told "the aluminum block flexes too much, the headbolts threadserts are very weak and don't take heat well." unless there is a way of using the MS43 electronics and sensors on a cast block.