E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Mid Atlantic

Mid Atlantic
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
DC DE MD PA VA WV

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 70 votes, 4.93 average.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:59 AM   #25141
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
Nascar works because rednecks and country folk love it. Plus they race in an oval, so u can see the entire lap. Plus it used to be cheap and evolved into this expensive monster. Try making a M cup? U already lost 60% of the audience since they're not american cars, or cheap cars. No audience = no tv, no tv = no big name sponsor, no big money sponsor in an expensive series = incredibly small group of people financially able to compete. (Think Ferrari modena cup, or Porsche GT3 challenge) only millionaires can afford that sh1t. So yeah, make series where the cheapest car cost 6 figures to build, and see how small your starting grid will be. Then bet how long it will last, and u will prolly make more money winning it won't last 2 seasons.
Snik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 01:30 AM   #25142
das BENZin

My Ride: 1985 380SE 5.6
So, use your imagination man. It doesn't have to be straight M cup or Can Am. Make it what NASCAR once was - take American street cars and soup them up. Besides, there are plenty of millionaires, you just have to get them interested (this is how spoilers got into mainstream racing). Nobody makes money buying race horses, but people still do it.

You can make road courses where you see the whole track (Rolex 24 Hours anyone?). Heck, if they could just lift some of the rules on the new Trans-Am and market it better....

There's no real reason it would have to be expensive anyways. Just say no manufacturer's-cars, and then the expenditures will be limited by how much advertisers value the series. Don't underestimate how much a man can do in his garage with a little ingenuity, $80,000, and good old fashioned American stick-to-it-ness.

Last edited by das BENZin; 06-14-2010 at 01:40 AM.
das BENZin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 01:48 AM   #25143
Snik
OEM ///Member

Ahh, this is a bmw board. Remember? This all started when I posted the vid of the CSL cup. Why the hell would I invite the others, then it would be just like every other cup. 1 make cups work because they're relatively cheap, and everyone is equal, if the rules are dun right. Especially if there are spec tires too. The only thing is I'd expand it to be a BMW M cup. Fuk everything else. I want a M car cup. M cars ONLY. U can go build ur can am wanna be nascar championship. I couldn't give two ****. My dream is of a M cup. Go M, or go home.
Old 06-14-2010, 02:31 AM   #25144
das BENZin

But what the hell is the point of everybody being equal? You might as well just have everybody racing each other in a 4 cylinder Toyota Camry, that would be equal too. Racing is supposed to be man AND machine. Racing is about innovations on the track that find their way into street cars. Spoilers, and eventually full aero, and a clutchless manual (albeit it done very differently) were just two of the things brought to life by a millionaire with time, interest, and an available no-rules motorsport.
Where's the excitement in spec tires? You have nobody gambling with one tire vs another. You'll never get great racing stories out of these heavily regulated motorsports (and the past 20 years have shown us that).
Old 06-14-2010, 04:23 AM   #25145
Snik
OEM ///Member

you don't watch much racing do u?
When u have a dominating team, it makes it boring. Oh who's gonna win this weekend, hmm, team x, again, oh joy, why go watch it, I'll just read about it.
When u have a chance of anyone winning, u don't want to miss it, because there will be passing and fights for 1st, 2nd and 3rd and even the points off the podium. That's exciting, that's what makes the fans pay money to come see it, that's what fills grand stands, and books pay per view, etc. Not some procession where its the same order in finishing every time.
That will kill any championship. F1 is about the only championship I've seen survive while managing to be boring as fuk to watch, as far as the actual racing, its the speed and the sound and the fascination i think keeps people going back, that and the big name manufacturers and sponsors. For pure racing excitement, F1 is garbage. WRC is intense and they really even pass each other, DTM, WTCC, etc, those are championships where the cars are almost dead even, and setup and driver and pit stops is what decides the winner. Why do u think so many people thought Schuemacher retiring was good for the sport? Cause now 3 other mofos stood a chance of winning and they'd be at each others throats the entire race to get that win.

That is also why nascar works. Its a great spectator sport even tho they're driving in a ridiculous circle AND tho u have the favorites and they know that one mistake by the fav, and some ricky bobby type is gonna beat him. because the cars are evenly matched and its competitive.

If you are a competitor and u know u have no chance of winning because you will need the newest model M3 with 5 figures worth of parts, you're gonna be like, fuk that, i'll take my E30 or my E36 to the NASA or SCCA and run it there where i stand a chance to win. No one wants to spend all that money on gas, hotel, diesel for the hauler, food, entry fees, mechanic and crew pay, miss time at work, and all that expensive stuff if u stand no chance of at least setting foot on the podium, if its like that, u might as well stick to trackdays and then u leave the grid, then the next set of guys that finish behind you leave after a while thn your grid dwindles and you're left with a 4 car championship.
Then we'll see how long that lasts.

Last edited by Snik; 06-14-2010 at 06:45 AM.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:05 AM   #25146
das BENZin

Wow. I can't believe you just called F1 boring. I get that it doesn't have a lot of passing, but it's not boring.

As far as the NASCAR goes, there are times when the cars are not evenly matched, and to me it is always more fun to watch when somebody's car is just clicking better than everybody elses that day, and the guys in positions 2, 3, 4, and 5 stack up in a long draft to try to push the number 2 guy to pass the number 1 with the better car.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:17 AM   #25147
RSDeuce

My Ride: 2002 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tothpl View Post
has anyone been to the auto cross at acu 4? a few buddies from work went last month and were telling me about it. kinda want to go next time they have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm5 View Post
Ron - -RSDeuce does them.
I have been Autocrossing there since 2007. I am signed up for the next event (26th of this month) and will be there around 0800 or so...

What do you want to know?
RSDeuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:29 AM   #25148
RSDeuce

My Ride: 2002 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by snikwad View Post
What snikwad said
Quote:
Originally Posted by das BENZin View Post
What das BENZin said
Quote:
What snikwad said
Quote:
What das BENZin said
I think what both of you need is for the 24 hours of lemons to be broadcast nationally. Few regulations, fun racing. "Innovation" is highly encouraged.

http://www.24hoursoflemons.com/

That said, there are tons of racing series going on RIGHT now, that aren't F1 or NASCAR or any of that boring ****. We get the Australian Touring Car Championship on SPEED, which is a ton of fun to watch when you can catch it.

http://www.speedtv.com/programs/aust...-v8-supercars/

Until Americans start watching more racing, no racing will be broadcast... Don't yearn for the olden days, that **** isn't coming back any time soon.

Oh, and for the record... F1 is boring as ****, and almost always has been. I have sat down and watched so many races trying to like it... No fun at all. I watched for 30 or so minutes yesterday and was happy when Steph changed it...
RSDeuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:44 AM   #25149
das BENZin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSDeuce View Post
I think what both of you need is for the 24 hours of lemons to be broadcast nationally. Few regulations, fun racing. "Innovation" is highly encouraged.

http://www.24hoursoflemons.com/

Until Americans start watching more racing, no racing will be broadcast... Don't yearn for the olden days, that **** isn't coming back any time soon.

Oh, and for the record... F1 is boring as ****, and almost always has been. I have sat down and watched so many races trying to like it... No fun at all. I watched for 30 or so minutes yesterday and was happy when Steph changed it...
I agree about the 24 Hours. I was going to go last time, but then I found it's just a bunch of eurotrash partying when you're actually there.

As far as watching more racing...maybe when Speed stops sucking and actually shows a good amount of racing, I'll get a TV and cable.

I still don't get how you guys think F1 is boring. More fun to watch than NASCAR or Daytona Prototypes if you ask me.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:56 AM   #25150
jwm5

My Ride: station wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSDeuce View Post
I have been Autocrossing there since 2007. I am signed up for the next event (26th of this month) and will be there around 0800 or so...

What do you want to know?
26th or 27th??

Saturday the 26th is the AIK meet
jwm5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 12:59 PM   #25151
Snik
OEM ///Member

if you think F1 is exciting, u need to watch some Touring car races, or WRC racing form around the world.
F1 is a fukin 200 mph funeral procession.

Ron, lots of Americans watch motor sports, most watch it on our PC because Nascar-vision, (Speed TV) doesnt show anything else really. and when they do, its chopped to an our and full of commercial breaks.
Europeans get to watch qualifying, for major racing events, we get the abbreviated race, but if its nascar, nooo, we get the whole thing. It was just amazing to watch the motoGP qualifying and free practice on TV when i was in Germany, 1st time seeing either and it wasnt on a computer screen.
Fuk American motor sports television. it sucks donkey balls.
All the SCCA, and other smaller car racing champs, get no air play over here.

im well aware of the Le Mons race, and that not what im after, i dont want lemons racing, i want to see a BMW type cup, similar to the M3 CSL cup they have in Europe, like the one i posted, something for me as a BMW fan could aspire to, that doesnt involve strictly E30s.

Last edited by Snik; 06-14-2010 at 01:01 PM.
Old 06-14-2010, 01:09 PM   #25152
IB RearWheelin

My Ride: Rental...for now.
Quote:
Hahahaha dayum
Next time you see her, ask her if the kleemann blower for the 3.5 m272 bolted onto that 3.0 or if she had to use something else. EDIT: nevermind, some googling showed that it does.

If she's rocking a meisterschaft exhaust she's got a sugar daddy somewhere. Nobody who has to work for their money would blow it like that.
Also ask her how the unlined Alusil is hanging in there after 5 years on 14psi lol.
Dude Alusil is much better...I don't blame Mercedes Benz for running with Alusil instead of a Nikasil block, material used by BMW years ago in the M60. It was not successful due to U.S fuels destroying the Nikasil material.
IB RearWheelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 01:15 PM   #25153
das BENZin

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB RearWheelin View Post
Dude Alusil is much better...I don't blame Mercedes Benz for running with Alusil instead of a Nikasil block, material used by BMW years ago in the M60. It was not successful due to U.S fuels destroying the Nikasil material.
Oh, Alusil is great....it just doesn't like boost or nitrous unless you're reallllllly careful.
Old 06-14-2010, 01:16 PM   #25154
Snik
OEM ///Member

Quote:
I agree about the 24 Hours. I was going to go last time, but then I found it's just a bunch of eurotrash partying when you're actually there.

dude, that is a part of the experience, what do u think happens at your F1 events, your 24hrs of LeMans, your WRC, your Touring car... being a spectator is also about the partying, u think everyone sits in suites and sips coffee and talks about their millions and who to sponsor or fire next season?

Quote:
I still don't get how you guys think F1 is boring. More fun to watch than NASCAR or Daytona Prototypes if you ask me.
Ill tell you what, for some idiots driving real fast in a circle like a dog chasing its tail, it has 100x times more passing and fighting than anything on a F1 circuit, and dont get me wrong, im a nascar hater, but when they go to their circuit courses, 3 times per year, its actually, INCREDIBLY entertaining to watch.
If nascar didnt allow silly unsportsmanlike crap like bumping, etc, and raced more circuits, and less ovals, it would actually be fun to follow, cause on any sunday, any number of top runners can win.
Old 06-14-2010, 01:23 PM   #25155
das BENZin

Quote:

dude, that is a part of the experience, what do u think happens at your F1 events, your 24hrs of LeMans, your WRC, your Touring car... being a spectator is also about the partying, u think everyone sits in suites and sips coffee and talks about their millions and who to sponsor or fire next season?

If nascar didnt allow silly unsportsmanlike crap like bumping, etc, and raced more circuits, and less ovals, it would actually be fun to follow, cause on any sunday, any number of top runners can win.
1 - eurotrash didn't used to be part of the european racing experience, and being a spectator need not be about partying (there isn't that much partying at the Rolex 24)

2 - I'm not a NASCAR hater myself, I just like watching F1 more

3 - bumping in a stock car is not unsportsmanlike. Bumping in other racing vehicles may be, but not in a stock car. If for no other reason than you'd get into grey areas where they want to black flag someone for bumping, but really he was just bump drafting, which is quite sportsmanlike (it helps out the guy in front of you)
Old 06-14-2010, 01:29 PM   #25156
Snik
OEM ///Member

^ youre confused, i dont care if its stock car, or whatever, it shouldnt be allowed as far as im concerned.

again, the partying and such is a part of the experience, u get any event that goes on long enough with hardcore fans, there will be parting. again, rolex 24hrs, ive never mentioned it, because i dont care for it, 24hrs LeMans, you best believe there are some crazy bonfires and parties going on around that track.

and m a proud nascar hater, but i give props where props are due.
Old 06-14-2010, 01:29 PM   #25157
Snik
OEM ///Member

im making a new thread about my dream M cup series. :p
Old 06-14-2010, 01:51 PM   #25158
Snik
OEM ///Member

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...9#post11873729
Old 06-14-2010, 02:24 PM   #25159
das BENZin

Why should bumping not be allowed with stock cars? They're not open wheel, they're not open cockpit, and they have strong chassis.
Old 06-14-2010, 02:27 PM   #25160
hcaleman

My Ride: E36 M3
Picked up those H&R spacers today, time to test fit. Will see if 245/40s on a 17x8.5 +36 will fit a stock height E36.