E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld

Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-23-2010, 12:00 PM   #21
drivrswntd

My Ride: 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshelley View Post
If you are running 18" then I'd look into some used Continental Tires from a GS team. I sell all of my 17" tires to guys that do track events. They wear really well, are a medium compound and are cheap. I sell mine for $100/set and that's dirt cheap for a dedicated race tire that will get you at least 3 to 4 weekends out of them
As a customer of shelly's I can definitly agree! I would do your first 3-5 events on your stock tires and just upgrade your brakes, then if you really want to get into it then get your self some dedicated track wheels and tires. I've been running shelly's continental take off's all season, and they are amazing. I am a bmw club instructor and I usually get about 4-5 track days worth of driving out of a set. That's 3-4 23min sessions per day. The tires work great and wear excellent. I just got 2 more sets from him that will last me the rest of the season.

Jp, on a different note, how are the new conti slicks verse the conti badged hoosiers that I am currently on?

Boston BMWCCA chapter
drivrswntd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 12:18 PM   #22
M3TA5IN

My Ride: 06 e90 - e36 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by trippinbillies4 View Post

Honestly, you'll become a better driver with a 6MT. You'll learn the balance of the car under braking and cornering much better. Plus there's nothing quite like a perfectly matched heel-toe downshift
I suppose you are right about becoming a better driver with the manual. The lady might be kinda disappointed, but she will live with it lol. Who knows, maybe one day Ill teach her (but not on the M3)

Quick off topic question. When I was home a couple weeks ago I drove a 09 M3 and I noticed it had a hill sensor so the car didnt roll back when shifting to first. Do E46 M3s have this too? That would probably be a good plus for her if she decided to learn.
M3TA5IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 12:54 PM   #23
SpeedDemon

My Ride: 08 M3/05 ZHP/08 R32
I used to think that I would enjoy an SMG more for learning how to drive out at the track but after learning with my manual I am so glad that I didn't go straight to paddles. Learning how to heal and toe is an invaluable lesson for any car enthusiast and I don't think you'll ever get it just right until you go out to the track and do it at full speed.
SpeedDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 06:31 PM   #24
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivrswntd View Post
I've been running shelly's continental take off's all season, and they are amazing.
Dang, I guess I'll have to get some the next time I'm back in the Philly area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedDemon View Post
Learning how to heal and toe is an invaluable lesson for any car enthusiast and I don't think you'll ever get it just right until you go out to the track and do it at full speed.
Right. I found it a little difficult to master on the street since you generally don't have the brake pedal all the way down. So it was harder to control the blip since your foot wasn't flat.
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:34 PM   #25
trippinbillies4

My Ride: '02 Mini, '13 FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
Dang, I guess I'll have to get some the next time I'm back in the Philly area.

Right. I found it a little difficult to master on the street since you generally don't have the brake pedal all the way down. So it was harder to control the blip since your foot wasn't flat.
Heel Toe will seem like a piece of cake on the track compared to the street. Especially in a car with ABS. Trying to heel toe on the street without the car behind you rear-ending you is very tricky. On the track? Much easier than it sounds.

'02 Mini Cooper #40HS, '13 Scion FR-S #40CS, '12 Ducati SF848
trippinbillies4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:44 PM   #26
buildingcode

My Ride: 1997 M3 Track Car
For the track

!. Brake Fluid flush and replace Motul
2. SS Brake lines
3 Floating or Euro rotors New Pads
4. Seat time
5. Seat time
And more seat time. Save the R-Compounds until you are at the limit on street tires. The GS take offs are a great deal and are made by Hoosier.
No to the harness with out a roll bar
Stay between the ditches keep the dirty side down and have a blast.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:24 PM   #27
bigjae1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippinbillies4 View Post
Heel Toe will seem like a piece of cake on the track compared to the street. Especially in a car with ABS. Trying to heel toe on the street without the car behind you rear-ending you is very tricky. On the track? Much easier than it sounds.
I remember getting rear ended was a concern when I was practicing on the street.

Eventually, I could heel toe by just braking normally which felt really retarded. Made it a lot easier on the track.

Actually, there is a video on www.BMWNA.com about the BMW Performance Center M School where the instructor is explaining a rev-matching technique which might help as well.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:27 PM   #28
bigjae1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildingcode View Post
!. Brake Fluid flush and replace Motul
3 Floating or Euro rotors New Pads
The E46 floating euro rotors are drilled. Mine wore out and cracked pretty quickly. I'd just stick with regular blanks or slotted.

I used to use Motul but had to flush it 2-3 times a year. SRF is much better just because its still good after 9 months. Saves you the trouble of probably 4-5 bleeds over Motul. And its probably cheaper over the long run.