E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld

Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-10-2010, 01:16 PM   #61
JimmyOberg

My Ride: BMW 330Ci 2001
These Alcon-kits looks great! Since I'll be starting to upgrade my chassie soon, these will definately be an option!
JimmyOberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 01:33 PM   #62
azzy989

My Ride: 325i
Send a message via AIM to azzy989 Send a message via MSN to azzy989
thanks for clearing that up rob... you learn something new everyday

azzy989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 02:10 PM   #63
georgiev

My Ride: BA3 2105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Levinson * UUC Motorwerks View Post
I'll put one thing quite simply; all of our Alcon-based kits have the correct bias for whichever car we are offering them for. Rotor size is not the only factor that determines bias; brake torque (and then the comparison of front:rear brake torque) of a particular brake package is determined by a calculation using multiple factors including pad height, piston size, pad , blp, and rotor diameter.

In a nutshell, don't worry about it - if there's one thing you can be sure of, the UUC engineering on these systems is very, very thorough.

Now, as to why the E46 M3 has bigger rear rotors... it's not a question of brake bias. It has to do with DSC (Dynamic Stability Control) and traction control. This system actuates the rear brakes to control wheelspin, so the components are larger than previous 3-series to retain component longevity, affected by their more frequent use.
thanks for the helpful answer indeed
Old 06-10-2010, 02:55 PM   #64
FTWeisse

My Ride: has no hip-hop rimz
Old 06-10-2010, 09:25 PM   #65
cnotesdip

My Ride: 330ci
i got the front bbk wilwood they are really good a lil nosiey but the breaking power is phenomenal i love to stop quickly rob did the rear sway bar come in for the m3 and the motor mounts >?
cnotesdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 06:14 AM   #66
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
How much of an upgrade are the alcon kits over the wilwood kits?
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:25 PM   #67
Rob Levinson * UUC Motorwerks
UUC Motorwerks, *******

My Ride: 7s, M5s, M3s, others
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
How much of an upgrade are the alcon kits over the wilwood kits?
The Alcon calipers are at the top of the "professional" list of calipers. That means the ultimate in strength/stiffness.

What you also get is a larger pad area; that means longer pad life, lower pad temps, or the ability to use a milder pad with the same results. While I do not recommend it, we had one of our track junkie customers use his street pads in the Alcon setup for a track weekend... he noted a little less "bite" than the track pads, but they held up perfectly fine.

BIG BRAKE KIT HEADQUARTERS!

ALL CURRENT UUC SPECIALS:
-[ CLICK HERE ]
Rob Levinson * UUC Motorwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:42 PM   #68
drivrswntd

My Ride: 330ci
Quote:
The Alcon calipers are at the top of the "professional" list of calipers. That means the ultimate in strength/stiffness.

What you also get is a larger pad area; that means longer pad life, lower pad temps, or the ability to use a milder pad with the same results. While I do not recommend it, we had one of our track junkie customers use his street pads in the Alcon setup for a track weekend... he noted a little less "bite" than the track pads, but they held up perfectly fine.
Rob, dont the alcon's use the thinner 16mm pads though, vs if you have the wilwood 4 piston fronts which are 20mm? And I think the wilwood pads are cheaper. I absolutly love my wilwood kit and cant wait to get the matching rears.

And on a different note, Rob how about you shed some more light on the new 2 piece rotors you have coming out?

Boston BMWCCA chapter
drivrswntd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 03:23 PM   #69
Rob Levinson * UUC Motorwerks
UUC Motorwerks, *******

My Ride: 7s, M5s, M3s, others
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivrswntd View Post
Rob, dont the alcon's use the thinner 16mm pads though, vs if you have the wilwood 4 piston fronts which are 20mm? And I think the wilwood pads are cheaper.
Correct and correct, but the Alcon has more surface area, but temperature also affects lifespan is the point... the larger Alcon pad will run cooler.

Quote:
I absolutly love my wilwood kit and cant wait to get the matching rears.
Awesome, glad to hear it!

Quote:
And on a different note, Rob how about you shed some more light on the new 2 piece rotors you have coming out?
Ssssshhhh!!! It's-ay a ecret-say. Details very soon.

BIG BRAKE KIT HEADQUARTERS!

ALL CURRENT UUC SPECIALS:
-[ CLICK HERE ]
Rob Levinson * UUC Motorwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:09 PM   #70
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
Quote:

So does upgrading from the Wilwoods tot he Alcons make sense for someone doing HPDEs and doesn't run more than 25-30 minutes at a time.

Quote:
Ssssshhhh!!! It's-ay a ecret-say. Details very soon.
Different from the PFC DDs? Maybe a little cheaper?
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote