E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum

Motorsports & Track Forum
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports – this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-23-2010, 03:18 AM   #1
bigjae1976
Registered User
 
bigjae1976's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Earth
Posts: 11,472
My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
Seats for street and track duty...opinions

My sport seats are getting a little worn so I've been thinking about getting some new seats. My driver's side bolster is getting flattened down.

I've looked at Cobra, Bride, Recaro and Corbeau.

I've narrowed it down to:

Recaro Sportster CS
Recaro Speed
Corbeau A4
OEM M3

I need a seat that is good at the track but is still comfortable for long x-country trips. Don't care about power adjustments. Lumbar is a plus. Cost is a concern but I am willing to spend some $$$ on some seats that will last the life of the car.

I'm 5'10" and about 160-170 lbs.

I'm kind of leaning towards the Recaro Speeds. I've sat in the Speed and Sportster and really like them. But I wonder if the Corbeau A4s will be just as comfortable, serve the same purpose and cost about 1/2 of the Speeds.

Also, the A4s have the option for Lumbar.

Looking for input. Thanks.
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:58 AM   #2
e46techtuner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 721
My Ride: 2000 328i
Sparco Torino seats are comfortable and are reclineable(have one as my passenger seat). They do a good job of holding you in too. I heard the Corbeau FX seat is really comfortable despite being a composite/fixed seat(I have not sat in one though).
__________________
e46techtuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:57 AM   #3
drivrswntd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 301
My Ride: 330ci
Wow, we are almost the exact same build, but I'm an inch shorter. If it were me, and i wanted a reclining seat. My first choice for the $$ would be the Recaro Speed's. get the 5pt ones so down the road you could get better belts. Those sportster CS are nice but one of those is what both of your speed's would cost. I've never been a big fan of the Corbeau seats, and for my build I have yet to find a Sparco that I am happy with that fits me perfect. I would stick to recaro/racetech when it comes to seats.
__________________
Jay

Boston BMWCCA chapter
drivrswntd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 01:26 PM   #4
AAblown
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: tampa, fl
Posts: 795
My Ride: e46 m3, e36 m3, H2
ive heard someone that had E36 M3 vaders in their E46 M3. The E46 M3 coupe and vert seats are slightly different, in my case i have a E46 M3 vert, and i think the vaders hug better and are more suited for track purposes than my E46 M seats. Plus the head rest adjusts to put your harness through. just a cheaper alternative.
__________________
AAblown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 01:28 PM   #5
AAblown
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: tampa, fl
Posts: 795
My Ride: e46 m3, e36 m3, H2
http://e46fanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=737584

vaders in a E46
__________________
AAblown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:51 PM   #6
bigjae1976
Registered User
 
bigjae1976's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Earth
Posts: 11,472
My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivrswntd View Post
Wow, we are almost the exact same build, but I'm an inch shorter. If it were me, and i wanted a reclining seat. My first choice for the $$ would be the Recaro Speed's. get the 5pt ones so down the road you could get better belts. Those sportster CS are nice but one of those is what both of your speed's would cost. I've never been a big fan of the Corbeau seats, and for my build I have yet to find a Sparco that I am happy with that fits me perfect. I would stick to recaro/racetech when it comes to seats.
I've sat in a display model of both the Sportster and Speed. The Sportster was definitely a much closer fit.

Good info about the 5pt Speeds...didn't think of that.

I'll guess that the Speed is a more flexible and versatile track/street seat.

Good thing is my wife is pretty small (5'1" and 95-105 lbs) so the pass side seat is not an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAblown View Post
Great info! For me, I would prefer something newer which is why the E46M3 seats are low on the list.

Plus, I have some weird thing about used seats. Just to think someone has been had their sweaty @ss and balls in the seat, farting in it, and maybe even a couple of sharts grosses me out.
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:59 PM   #7
MrMotorwerk
Der Meisterstück
 
MrMotorwerk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 2,411
My Ride: '02 330Ci


Nothing compares.
MrMotorwerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:25 PM   #8
AAblown
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: tampa, fl
Posts: 795
My Ride: e46 m3, e36 m3, H2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMotorwerk View Post


Nothing compares.
whoa! what are those and how much
__________________
AAblown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:27 PM   #9
AAblown
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: tampa, fl
Posts: 795
My Ride: e46 m3, e36 m3, H2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
I've sat in a display model of both the Sportster and Speed. The Sportster was definitely a much closer fit.

Good info about the 5pt Speeds...didn't think of that.

I'll guess that the Speed is a more flexible and versatile track/street seat.

Good thing is my wife is pretty small (5'1" and 95-105 lbs) so the pass side seat is not an issue.



Great info! For me, I would prefer something newer which is why the E46M3 seats are low on the list.

Plus, I have some weird thing about used seats. Just to think someone has been had their sweaty @ss and balls in the seat, farting in it, and maybe even a couple of sharts grosses me out.
buy some new E36 M3 vaders from the dealer if you dont like sweaty balls, my used e36 M3 with its sweaty ball vaders work perfect LOL
__________________
AAblown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 12:10 AM   #10
bigjae1976
Registered User
 
bigjae1976's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Earth
Posts: 11,472
My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMotorwerk View Post


Nothing compares.
Are they MUCH better than the Recaro Speed? Are those leather or vinyl?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAblown View Post
whoa! what are those and how much
Recaro Sportster CS ~$1300-$1800 depending on upholstery material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAblown View Post
buy some new E36 M3 vaders from the dealer if you dont like sweaty balls, my used e36 M3 with its sweaty ball vaders work perfect LOL
For that much, I'd rather get some Recaro's. Ideally, I could find some recently upholstered seats.
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 02:06 AM   #11
MrMotorwerk
Der Meisterstück
 
MrMotorwerk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 2,411
My Ride: '02 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
Are they MUCH better than the Recaro Speed? Are those leather or vinyl?
I used to have the Recaro SRD, predecessor to the Speed. The SRDs were a lot better than the Speed. These, Sportster CS, are better than those two. Better bolsters, lumbar and shoulder support. The CS are probably even lighter too. Remember the Recaro Sport is based on the SRD which is a +20 year old design! SRDs were also better built than the newer Sports in respect to materials and quality. The CS has the same build quality as the older SRD as it is not an entry level seat like the Sport.

Quote:
Sportster CS ~$1300-$1800 depending on upholstery material.
Mine are leather both mounted to Recaro E46 specific slider mounts.
I bought mine over 4years ago for around $3000 for both


Quote:
For that much, I'd rather get some Recaro's. Ideally, I could find some recently upholstered seats.
True, I never looked back.
MrMotorwerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 02:50 AM   #12
bigjae1976
Registered User
 
bigjae1976's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Earth
Posts: 11,472
My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMotorwerk View Post
Mine are leather both mounted to Recaro E46 specific slider mounts. I bought mine over 4years ago for around $3000 for both
So do these seats feel on long trips. Once or twice a year, I will drive my car on a 750+ mile trip.

How is the leather wearing?
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 12:16 PM   #13
Grande D
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Dirty South
Posts: 3,341
My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMotorwerk View Post
I used to have the Recaro SRD, predecessor to the Speed. The SRDs were a lot better than the Speed. These, Sportster CS, are better than those two. Better bolsters, lumbar and shoulder support. The CS are probably even lighter too. Remember the Recaro Sport is based on the SRD which is a +20 year old design! SRDs were also better built than the newer Sports in respect to materials and quality. The CS has the same build quality as the older SRD as it is not an entry level seat like the Sport.
On Recaro's website, the speed is listed as wider than the sportster (21in. vs 20.1in.) as well as lighter (30.9lbs vs 33.1lbs.)

Last edited by Grande D; 06-27-2010 at 12:17 PM.
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:31 PM   #14
MrMotorwerk
Der Meisterstück
 
MrMotorwerk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 2,411
My Ride: '02 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
So do these seats feel on long trips. Once or twice a year, I will drive my car on a 750+ mile trip.

How is the leather wearing?
These seats are very comfortable. I haven't driven long extended hours such as yours, but I have driven 3 hour sprints in these and have not had and comfort problems with them. These seats are not fixed back racing shells, so you do have the luxury of adjusting the seat backs to suit your needs. You can also opt to get a manual air lumbar inserted for the backs as well.

The leather wears a lot better than the BMW oem leather. A lot better!
MrMotorwerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 01:41 AM   #15
bigjae1976
Registered User
 
bigjae1976's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Earth
Posts: 11,472
My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
Cool. I think I've made my decision to get the Sportster CS. My main hang up was how these seats would feel on a long drive. So didn't want to hang on to my sport seats since I don't need more car crap around the house.

Now can someone give me $3000???
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use