E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Love Line

Love Line

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-25-2010, 02:01 PM   #1
falcon1209

My Ride: 2000 BMW 328ci
How to approach someone who is busy as hell.

Cliffs below:

I agreed to be my buddies wingman for a night out. Earlier, we went out to grab some food to just shoot the breeze and talk about what he planned on accomplishing that night. (I don't normally do this wingman business) It didn't really seem like he wanted to just pick up someone at the bar for a night. He wanted to actually meet someone. I approved of that plan much more. He saw this girl who I believe is the manager, but was behind the counter. She was ultra busy as it was the noon rush. She came out to clean up a bit and I basically threw my friend out of his seat. He walked over to go "get something", and saw that she initiated the conversation. He came back after a few words. She had complimented him on his clothing. When asked if he got her number or at least her name. He said he just thanked her.

Could be worse. I told him to come back at a less busy time to try and talk to her.

Fast forward a week, and he still hasn't had an opportunity to go and talk to her again, said shes always in back, out of reach.

For subtlety I suggested he could ask to speak to a manager, compliment her on her store's great customer service, shake her hand and slip her his phone number in the process. This wouldn't embarrass her in front of her coworkers since it would be very noticeable otherwise.

Or he can just sit sit it out and wait for another opportunity and flat out ask her out for drinks. That also implies he has the tenacity to do it without me holding his hand.

Any suggestions?

Cliffs:
Friend wants a gf.
Has his eye on a very busy restaurant manger.
Manager complimented him on his appearance, he didn't fully follow through.
He wants to try again, cant find an opportunity after a few other visits.

Last edited by falcon1209; 06-25-2010 at 02:02 PM.
falcon1209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:39 PM   #2
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
if we had a gay sub-forum this would be stickied.
DylloS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 04:18 PM   #3
falcon1209

Rofl. And what would the thread title be?
Old 06-26-2010, 08:45 PM   #4
chivo328

My Ride: 328/330/633/M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon1209 View Post
Rofl. And what would the thread title be?
My gay friend uses wanting to find a GF as an excuse to be near me.
chivo328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 01:38 PM   #5
kushy

My Ride: automatic m3
Quote:
Originally Posted by chivo328 View Post
My gay friend uses wanting to find a GF as an excuse to be near me, who is also gay.
fixed
kushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 09:42 AM   #6
falcon1209

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushy View Post
fixed
Well played.

Now that you guys mention it.... I'm pretty sure he's never been laid.

But really, I was just looking for suggestions to approach someone in that situation without coming off as rude or embarrassing her.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:46 AM   #7
mcr_driver

My Ride: my favorite two feet
him playing the waiting game is pointless all that's gonna come of it is a "shoulda coulda woulda" scenario he needs to take charge and be proactive. Good or bad it shows confidence whether it's this girl or for the next he'll need that no matter what. The phone # idea is kinda sneaky and iunno if you do a role reversal it seems like a wuss move. I'd just have you push me over again and cause another "chance" encounter.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:01 PM   #8
cityjohn

My Ride: 2001 M3
Be direct. He could smile and say "When is it not so busy around here. You know, so I could talk with you a bit more?" She'll either give a time or just say it's always like that; whichever way it goes it will remain a comfortable situation for everyone.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:08 PM   #9
CMT247

My Ride: 07 VW GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityjohn View Post
Be direct. He could smile and say "When is it not so busy around here. You know, so I could talk with you a bit more?" She'll either give a time or just say it's always like that; whichever way it goes it will remain a comfortable situation for everyone.
good way to know if there is an "opening"
CMT247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:17 PM   #10
falcon1209

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityjohn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMT247 View Post
good way to know if there is an "opening"
Very nice. I like that approach.

I think he will too as it sort of doesnt put pressure on sealing the deal at that very point. Also, at said less busy time, both parties will be more relaxed too because its not so spontaneous if they both expect it.

Last edited by falcon1209; 06-30-2010 at 08:21 PM.