E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-30-2010, 08:10 AM   #61
Many330i

My Ride: 330i ZHP Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerboi325 View Post
Blocked out you are a beast for not only posting this DIY but for also shutting Neils down as well
..it's funny, you would have expected that guy, Neil, to at least acknowledge the good work BlockedOut did!
Many330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 10:20 PM   #62
Bimmerboi325

My Ride: 2003 BMW 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Many330i View Post
..it's funny, you would have expected that guy, Neil, to at least acknowledge the good work BlockedOut did!
I'm a regular at bimmerfest and every once in while he will pop over and start up fight with well respected members and magically disappears as soon as he is proven wrong. Not that I'm complaining but making a point
Bimmerboi325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 10:26 PM   #63
Blocked Out

My Ride: Imola 330i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmank View Post
I just installed this in my 2000 323ci (155k, original clutch etc) over the weekend; 545i rod, ZHP knob, new bushing, 1 hour of time.
  • All gears line up
  • Sits perfectly center
  • Doesn't hit anything with longer lower shift rod
  • Has less side to side play
  • Shift throw shorter vs. stock (feels like about 30%)
  • Sits lower (combination of the 1/4inch shorter 545i upper shift rod and shorter ZHP knob, which also help the shorter throw)
After driving around for the weekend I wonder how I ever lived without it. I can't vouch for a 6-speed or Xi, but fit and performance is perfect in a 323ci.

Blocked Out, great find and DIY.
I'm glad to help out fellow fanatics like you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerboi325 View Post
Blocked out you are a beast for not only posting this DIY but for also shutting Neils down as well

====>>> E46 Coupe Airbags
IMG_1725
Blocked Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 11:34 PM   #64
neil1138

neil1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 03:20 PM   #65
sarunas4

My Ride: 2004 330Ci 6spd
yes, the E46 6spd has a DIFFERENT shifter than the 5spd - the 6spd shifter is shorter past the plastic ball down. I learned the hard way by buying one from the site that stated theyre all the same, installed it and the shifter rubbed on the axle big time! had to remove it and return it.
just my 2cents...
Old 06-14-2010, 11:43 AM   #66
Infinity99

My Ride: 328Ci
Hey Blocked Out... (ooops i had posted in the other thread, posting in this thread now.) As i was saying, great DIY, thanks for sharing.

Was wondering where you ordered the parts from? I called the local dealership in Waterloo, Ontario and they're asking for $137 for the shifter, $18.71 for the bearing and $105.23 for the shift knob. The price of the shifter seems a lot higher than the $90 you mentioned.

Also, the part number you have listed for the 5-spd knob is it the wood grain finish? Do you have a link handy where I can find part numbers for shift knobs. (Maybe I can use my old knob in the mean time?)
Infinity99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:50 AM   #67
mvrk10256

My Ride: E30 325i
Send a message via AIM to mvrk10256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity99 View Post
Hey Blocked Out... (ooops i had posted in the other thread, posting in this thread now.) As i was saying, great DIY, thanks for sharing.

Was wondering where you ordered the parts from? I called the local dealership in Waterloo, Ontario and they're asking for $137 for the shifter, $18.71 for the bearing and $105.23 for the shift knob. The price of the shifter seems a lot higher than the $90 you mentioned.

Also, the part number you have listed for the 5-spd knob is it the wood grain finish? Do you have a link handy where I can find part numbers for shift knobs. (Maybe I can use my old knob in the mean time?)
all the parts can be had from ticher bmw (online) for the prices listed earlier in the OP. of course you will have to add shipping so it will be a bit more expensive but not THAT expensive. that shift knob is like $60 max...
Old 06-14-2010, 02:58 PM   #68
xixixi
Banned User

My Ride: 01 330x-xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarunas4 View Post
yes, the E46 6spd has a DIFFERENT shifter than the 5spd - the 6spd shifter is shorter past the plastic ball down. I learned the hard way by buying one from the site that stated theyre all the same, installed it and the shifter rubbed on the axle big time! had to remove it and return it.
just my 2cents...
what site???? what shifter did you buy??? more info please
xixixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 03:55 PM   #69
Blocked Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity99 View Post

I'll PM you the number to call in order to get BMW OEM parts dirt cheap here in Canada.

Oh and thanks about the part number note, I just fixed that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvrk10256 View Post
all the parts can be had from ticher bmw (online) for the prices listed earlier in the OP. of course you will have to add shipping so it will be a bit more expensive but not THAT expensive. that shift knob is like $60 max...
Last time I checked Tisher DOES NOT ship to Canada.

IMG_1725

Last edited by Blocked Out; 06-14-2010 at 04:02 PM.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:36 PM   #70
falcon1209

My Ride: 2000 BMW 328ci
Did this today with my 328Ci and cant say I noticed any shift travel change at all. The shifters were a bit different. by about 1/4" below and above the pivot. That didnt translate to a whole lot of change. I was hoping for a more aggressive transformation. Between doing this and my tranny fluid at the same time, I definitely noticed the changes in the fluid more than the shifter.

Great DIY though.

Also, for those who are having trouble with the shifter carrier bushing, Try spinning it clockwise. It came out like a breeze once I inspected the bushings closer.
falcon1209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 09:01 AM   #71
raptorman5174

My Ride: 330i ZHP
My shifter is loose and sloppy from 150,000 miles of use. I would love to so this mod, do you have to drop your drive shaft or your exhaust to install the shifter properly?

18 VMR CSL's
Koni FSD's
Eibach Sport Spring's
UUC Power Pullies
Sprint Booster
raptorman5174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 09:10 AM   #72
xixixi
Banned User

My Ride: 01 330x-xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorman5174 View Post
My shifter is loose and sloppy from 150,000 miles of use. I would love to so this mod, do you have to drop your drive shaft or your exhaust to install the shifter properly?
no and a better shifter is the one i listed above from HPF website 45 bucks can't go wrong
xixixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 03:24 PM   #73
the_HP_junkie

My Ride: has been upgraded
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blocked Out View Post
I'll PM you the number to call in order to get BMW OEM parts dirt cheap here in Canada.

Oh and thanks about the part number note, I just fixed that.
I ordered all the parts ... cant wait ... doing this in the next couple of weeks ... will keep you posted on the results.

Thanks BlockedOut for pointing me in the right direction.

Its been fun
the_HP_junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:38 PM   #74
e4Tsex

My Ride: '00 328i ZSP w/ 193k
I just completed this mod about 30 minutes ago. It made a big difference and feels much better. Definitely shorter and smoother shifts but its hard to say how much shorter. And the sound when my hand rubs the leather is neat. I feel like I own a race car now! Fairly easy DIY, I'd say 3 out of 10 just because you have to get under the car. Thanks, Blocked Out!

dr-z400s / cannondale caad 5
'91 BMW 318is -> '95 BMW 318ti -> '00 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330msport View Post
i heard that this cars go like 300k miles

Last edited by e4Tsex; 06-30-2010 at 07:41 PM.
e4Tsex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:04 PM   #75
Blocked Out

^ Not a problem man.

Glad to help a fellow fanatic anytime.

IMG_1725
Old 07-02-2010, 10:23 PM   #76
phamine

My Ride: 01 Orient Blue 330i
Send a message via AIM to phamine Send a message via Yahoo to phamine
I'm going to tackle this tomorrow on my 330. Has anyone thought about making a cheap WSR/ wieghted rod selector?

http://www.understeer.com/cheapwsr.shtml

phamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 06:53 PM   #77
Blocked Out

^ I thought about it but after reading reviews of it decided not to.

IMG_1725
Old 07-03-2010, 07:11 PM   #78
mvrk10256

My Ride: E30 325i
Send a message via AIM to mvrk10256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blocked Out View Post
^ I thought about it but after reading reviews of it decided not to.
could you post a link to the reviews because i looked around and couldnt find any. if the clearence is there wouldnt this be a nice addition?
Old 07-04-2010, 08:43 AM   #79
phamine

My Ride: 01 Orient Blue 330i
Send a message via AIM to phamine Send a message via Yahoo to phamine
I wasn't able to get any of the plastic yellow washers on w/o getting the circle clip on? Did anyone use this shifter able to get the yellow washers on as well as the circle clip.

Also, how far down should the rubber boot be on the shifter?
phamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 05:54 PM   #80
e4Tsex

My Ride: '00 328i ZSP w/ 193k
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamine View Post
I wasn't able to get any of the plastic yellow washers on w/o getting the circle clip on? Did anyone use this shifter able to get the yellow washers on as well as the circle clip.

Also, how far down should the rubber boot be on the shifter?
I struggled with that washer too but I cleaned it and the clip and the rod with WD-40 as well as I could and finally managed to get it on. I had to use a screwdriver as a lever to force the clip all the way on but I think it would be okay without the washer. Probably?

As for the rubber boot, I just put some lube in there before I put the shift lever in and then I could move it around easily until it looked like it was in the right spot.

dr-z400s / cannondale caad 5
'91 BMW 318is -> '95 BMW 318ti -> '00 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330msport View Post
i heard that this cars go like 300k miles
e4Tsex is offline   Reply With Quote