E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-04-2010, 06:40 PM   #81
Blocked Out

My Ride: Imola 330i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamine View Post
I wasn't able to get any of the plastic yellow washers on w/o getting the circle clip on? Did anyone use this shifter able to get the yellow washers on as well as the circle clip.

Also, how far down should the rubber boot be on the shifter?
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolio View Post
I struggled with that washer too but I cleaned it and the clip and the rod with WD-40 as well as I could and finally managed to get it on. I had to use a screwdriver as a lever to force the clip all the way on but I think it would be okay without the washer. Probably?

As for the rubber boot, I just put some lube in there before I put the shift lever in and then I could move it around easily until it looked like it was in the right spot.
Guys, guys you dont need those washers simply because the new 545i shifter has the washers built in. I apologize that I didnt state that in the OP. If you look at your original shifter and the 545i shifter you'll see that the 545i shifter has the inside plastic ring that sticks out pass the metal one on both sides like so:

4593942116_4621bf70e4_o

====>>> E46 Coupe Airbags
IMG_1725
Blocked Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 06:51 PM   #82
Blocked Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvrk10256 View Post
could you post a link to the reviews because i looked around and couldnt find any. if the clearence is there wouldnt this be a nice addition?
There is a ton of clearance but thats not the reason.
I cant post reviews now because i was banned from BFC and that where I read about the solder weighted rod. But if you search BFC you'll find that many people like the solder weighted rod but its not for everyone, just like some people prefer Synchromax in their tranny and others say OEM is best.

IMG_1725
Old 07-04-2010, 07:07 PM   #83
e4Tsex

My Ride: '00 328i ZSP w/ 194k
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blocked Out View Post
Guys, guys you dont need those washers simply because the new 545i shifter has the washers built in. I apologize that I didnt state that in the OP. If you look at your original shifter and the 545i shifter you'll see that the 545i shifter has the inside plastic ring that sticks out pass the metal one on both sides like so:

Good to know. Oh well :]

dr-z400s / cannondale caad 5
'91 BMW 318is -> '95 BMW 318ti -> '00 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330msport View Post
i heard that this cars go like 300k miles
e4Tsex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 12:16 PM   #84
mvrk10256

My Ride: E30 325i
Send a message via AIM to mvrk10256
Quote:
There is a ton of clearance but thats not the reason.
I cant post reviews now because i was banned from BFC and that where I read about the solder weighted rod. But if you search BFC you'll find that many people like the solder weighted rod but its not for everyone, just like some people prefer Synchromax in their tranny and others say OEM is best.
I will take a look and see if it want it, cause if i do it, i obviously want it all at the same time.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:59 PM   #85
falcon1209

My Ride: 2000 BMW 328ci
Did this and can't say I noticed much shorter shifts. Wasnt exactly the replacement for the short shift kit I was hoping for. The lever was shorter, barely. To put it in perspective, I did a tranny fluid swap and noticed the shift feel difference more than the distance change.

Good find, perhaps I had a shorter lever to begin with. Not bashing the DIY, just didn't share the same optimal results as everyone else.

Last edited by falcon1209; 07-05-2010 at 01:07 PM.
falcon1209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 03:25 PM   #86
phamine

My Ride: 01 Orient Blue 330i
Send a message via AIM to phamine Send a message via Yahoo to phamine
^^I agree with the poster above.

The good
The shift is shorter - I would say maybe 20-30% by feel; but barely noticeable.
Less play in shifting more notchy but that is expected. This is where I felt the most improvement - Shifting is more precise.

The bad
I noticed more engine feedback from the shifter. The shifter would vibrate with the engine, something I did not notice with the stock shifter.
As mentioned above, throw was reduced but not as much as I would have liked.
I noticed that the shift knob is rotated about 5-10 degs

That said - I'm going to try a Z3 shifter and try to draw some comparisons.
phamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 04:22 PM   #87
mvrk10256

Quote:
That said - I'm going to try a Z3 shifter and try to draw some comparisons.

please keep us updated....
Old 07-06-2010, 09:12 AM   #88
iansanderson

My Ride: 2001 330CiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon1209 View Post
Did this and can't say I noticed much shorter shifts. Wasnt exactly the replacement for the short shift kit I was hoping for. The lever was shorter, barely. To put it in perspective, I did a tranny fluid swap and noticed the shift feel difference more than the distance change.

Good find, perhaps I had a shorter lever to begin with. Not bashing the DIY, just didn't share the same optimal results as everyone else.

same here. I am happy with the slightly shorter height, but was hoping for less throw.

I think the OP did this on an E39 5 series which has a very tall shifter.. so in his case, there would be a significant improvement. my 530's shifter was definitely taller than my stock 330. I appreciate the DIY OP.

Cheat Sheet:

GT1/ISIS/MoDiC = Factory authorized diagnostic system used by BMW dealerships across the world.

NCS Expert = BMW Factory R&D programming tool available on the internet (not intended for the public and not available to the dealership network)

OEM = Genuine BMW part only available from a franchised BMW dealership.

DME = Engine Management Computer

Last edited by iansanderson; 07-06-2010 at 09:14 AM.
iansanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:48 PM   #89
phamine

My Ride: 01 Orient Blue 330i
Send a message via AIM to phamine Send a message via Yahoo to phamine
Theres room for modification.

I'm going to attempt shorting the shifter.
I wanted to go with a shifter that already has a bend to clear the driveshaft. I've also decided to not go with the Z3 1.9 shifter since it has a longer throw than E46 shifters. The Z3 1.9 has a 5.13:1 ratio vs a 4.41:1 ratio that we have. I'm going to infer that people who do have a Z3 shifter are experiencing shorter throws since the lever is shorter.

The length on the 545i shifter the the bottom to the pivot is longer than the Z3 1.9. I have to assume the throw on the 545i would be shorter. Take a look at the 2 images below.

The silver lever is the 545i

Shifter ratios:
http://www.unofficialbmw.com/e36/dri...ift_lever.html

Solution: Shorten the shifter
http://www.unofficialbmw.com/e36/dri...ift_lever.html

Other Options:
You can either do with an MZ3 or a Z4 Shifter. The modification you'd need to do is to bend the shifter to clear the driveshaft and keep your shifter centered. Sure - it can be done for an extra 40 bucks from understeer.com.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:39 AM   #90
mvrk10256

so you plan on cutting your shifter up like the guy did in his DIY?

Its interesting. a lot of poeple are concerned about the actual height, and some are concerned with the throw, to be honest with you all i care about is percision. I hate missing downshifts cause there is so much play in the shifter. i guess i am better of going with the 540 shifter and new gaskets.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:43 PM   #91
falcon1209

My Ride: 2000 BMW 328ci
I should clarify my results. I feel like my shifts are a lot more accurate. Given this might be the tranny oil, but the bushing swap might have helped. I wish there was a shifter like the custom shortened ones available OEM like the 545i. Oh well.
falcon1209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:06 PM   #92
smoke96

My Ride: 2004 325ci
Just called the dealer and it come out to $270. I guess online orders would make it cheaper.

[QUOTE=Back2Basics;11538236]So you're gonna have your food delivered to you while you sit at your computer screen on the 112th floor responding to questions about dildo's and sex lube's while strangers fill your bank account to acquire the tools needed for their sick, guilty pleasures?
That's pretty ****ing legit man.
smoke96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 01:54 AM   #93
01330cifirstbmw

My Ride: 2001 330ci
Quote:
The good
The shift is shorter - I would say maybe 20-30% by feel; but barely noticeable.
Less play in shifting more notchy but that is expected. This is where I felt the most improvement - Shifting is more precise.
Tried this diy the other day. Results aren't too dramatic (same as quote) but for the price and effort, it was worth it. The clip and white ring was a pia to take off somehow. The retainer clip is U shaped and easiest to take off by applying pressure outward on the bottom part of the U. Thanks for the DIY OP
Old 07-20-2010, 04:48 PM   #94
the_HP_junkie

My Ride: has been upgraded
Ok. So I've tried this install on my 325xi .... and.... no luck.
The transfer case is on the way to remove the shifter from under the car. I even tried from inside the cabin, no luck either.
So, for all you Xi'ers, we have to stick with the stock shifter.

PS.Smoke96 if you want the parts I have them for sale now.

Its been fun

Last edited by the_HP_junkie; 07-20-2010 at 05:21 PM.
the_HP_junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:18 PM   #95
Blocked Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_HP_junkie View Post
Ok. So I've tried this install on my 325xi .... and.... no luck.
The transfer case is on the way to remove the shifter from under the car. I even tried from inside the cabin, no luck either.
So, for all you Xi'ers, we have to stick with the stock shifter.

PS.Smoke96 if you want the parts I have them for sale now.
I'm very sorry that you couldn't install it, however, you said you simply couldnt get to it, it doesnt mean that it doesnt fit.
There are many people who've installed short shifter kits on Xi and the 545i shifter is one of them with many others.
Please look into it again, dont sell the parts.

Check my PM.

IMG_1725
Old 07-20-2010, 09:53 PM   #96
the_HP_junkie

will it fit, or will it not. that is the question

That is correct, I could not reach the pin to remove the stock shifter. The transfer casse in in the way. So 545 shifter may very well fit on an XI, but installing it is a pain.
I might give it another shot ... time will tell.

Quote:
I'm very sorry that you couldn't install it, however, you said you simply couldnt get to it, it doesnt mean that it doesnt fit.
There are many people who've installed short shifter kits on Xi and the 545i shifter is one of them with many others.
Please look into it again, dont sell the parts.

Check my PM.

Its been fun
Old 07-21-2010, 03:26 PM   #97
the_HP_junkie

So I've tried, for the third time, installing the 545i shifter, when I noticed that the one I have is exactly the same length as the new 545i which is about 190mm from top of the ball to the tip of the shifter. Weird, heeh
Attached are the pics. Also the third is my original shifter with just a ZHP knob.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0054.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	368045   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0055.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	368046   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0058.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	368047  

Its been fun
Old 07-22-2010, 09:22 PM   #98
Blocked Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_HP_junkie View Post
So I've tried, for the third time, installing the 545i shifter, when I noticed that the one I have is exactly the same length as the new 545i which is about 190mm from top of the ball to the tip of the shifter. Weird, heeh
Attached are the pics. Also the third is my original shifter with just a ZHP knob.
I'm sorry but I have to give you a facepalm.

Its ALL about the distance BELOW the ball (pivot point).

The distance above the ball doesnt matter.

THE DISTANCE BELOW THE BALL (PIVOT POINT) IS WHAT MAKES YOUR SHIFTS SHORTER., because the longer the distance the shorter the throw will be, simple physics.

IMG_1725
Old 08-09-2010, 10:52 AM   #99
3bananas

My Ride: 1998 328is
this is a great diy write up, much appreciated. i plan on doing this, cdv delete, and zhp knob as soon as my car gets back from the shop.
i'll be sure to review/comment back (i'm coming from a stock shifter)

Old 08-09-2010, 12:21 PM   #100
mvrk10256

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3bananas View Post
this is a great diy write up, much appreciated. i plan on doing this, cdv delete, and zhp knob as soon as my car gets back from the shop.
i'll be sure to review/comment back (i'm coming from a stock shifter)

check this out as well.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=778387