E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-30-2010, 03:40 AM   #41
HP Autowerks
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: E36 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
I've heard some people complain that the Quaifes are noisy. Otherwise, I've seen nothing but good reviews.

I have a Metric Mechanic 3.15 3 disc LSD. I've been pretty happy with it, DSC comes on a lot less often. It does make my rear end a little more "lively".
Quaife is noise free. If anyone is saying Quaife is noisy, I want to know about it. I have not had anyone with a properly installed Quaife complain about a noise issue.

Quaife is what 99% of you need for your street/HPDE/Track Day car. Leave the clutch/plate type of LSD for a track only car unless you are ready to deal with added noise, frequent fluid changes and rebuilds.

Harold

Last edited by HP Autowerks; 06-30-2010 at 03:53 AM.
HP Autowerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 03:55 AM   #42
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
I have to correct my earlier statement...its the Kaaz diffs some complained were noisy. Not the Quaifes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
Quaife is noise free. If anyone is saying Quaife is noisy, I want to know about it. I have not had anyone with a properly installed Quaife complain about a noise issue.

Quaife is what 99% of you need for your street/HPDE/Track Day car. Leave the clutch/plate type of LSD for a track only car unless you are ready to deal with added noise, frequent fluid changes and rebuilds.

Harold
I made a boo-boo...I meant Kaaz.
bigjae1976 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:07 AM   #43
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
Leave the clutch/plate type of LSD for a track only car unless you are ready to deal with added noise, frequent fluid changes and rebuilds.
A well built clutch type isn't the nightmare you seem to imply. I have absolutely zero complaints about mine after 2.5 years and 40k miles of use and wouldn't hesitate to recommend this type of diff to others.
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 08:10 AM   #44
blablac

My Ride: 240sx
how often do you need to change the fluid ?
blablac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:10 AM   #45
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by blablac View Post
how often do you need to change the fluid ?
In street use, I change the fluid every 10k miles... same as I did with the stock open diff.
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 08:00 AM   #46
blablac

My Ride: 240sx
Just got an email from WAVETRAC they will be releasing a 330i version of their LSD in August of this year.
blablac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 08:47 AM   #47
bluejeansonfire
ninja editor

My Ride: shaken, not stirred
Send a message via AIM to bluejeansonfire
Quote:
Originally Posted by McSpeed View Post
Frustrating. I wonder if you'd be breaking halfshafts if there was a smoother diff dishing the power out*

*I'm not saying Quaife necessarily - but something less brutal than the Kaaz maybe
well, the first set of breakages was mid-drift. Traction wasn't present, so the diff was just locked, there was no rough engagement at the time. The second breakage, the diff was also being smooth, it was straight line acceleration. The diff is harsh, no question, but in a straight line, there's no other diff I'd want. In a straight line, this one is silent and smooth. It's when angle is added with the steering wheel that the harshness comes.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:48 AM   #48
bluejeansonfire
ninja editor

My Ride: shaken, not stirred
Send a message via AIM to bluejeansonfire
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkstaack View Post
Performance Gearing told me that "The Kaaz units will always make noise by design, because both the discs and plates are made of steel alloy, with no coating on either, and (PG units) don't chatter because the discs are ceramic coated".
I think it's just because lockup is beyond 95%... I've heard from some Kaaz owners in the JDM scene that when lockup is turned down, below 80%, it becomes pretty bearable.