E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-28-2010, 08:27 AM   #1
Chris-alfonso

My Ride: 330i
TPS testing

Heyy,

Any one out there with a Bentley manual or knowledge on the TPS sensors for the M54b30, could explain how to test them. I found some info on the S54 engine but I was told not to use any of it for the trouble shooting. Adam (pei330ci) explained to me how the sensors work
Quote:
There are most certainly 2 TPS signals, it is a failsafe for the ECU if one goes bad. The same is true of the throttle pedal, it has 2 sensors in it.

What's really cool is that the signals are different, and the "check" is designed around some simple math.

One signal rises in voltage from 0% to 100%, and the other falls in voltage from 0% to 100%. (0-4.5v, and 4.5v to 0v) When the 2 are summed via the ECU, they should always equal 4.5vs no mater the throttle position.
But now I need a way to test which one of my sensors went bad so I can replace it.

Thank you,
Chris
Chris-alfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:07 PM   #2
Chris-alfonso

to the top
Old 06-29-2010, 12:05 AM   #3
maxi

My Ride: BMW E46 328I, 1999
I was looking for this info too. Any body can help in this.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:46 PM   #4
Chris-alfonso

if the tps went bad your going to need replace the entire throttle body since the tps is integrated in it on the m54 engine but idk how it is on the 328 engine.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:24 AM   #5
shanneba

My Ride: 2003 330Ci
Maybe this will help - I found this in a PDF file on the internet-
BMW MS 43 NEW FUNCTIONS

MS 43 NEW FUNCTIONS
ACCELERATOR PEDAL SENSOR
The accelerator pedal sensor is similar to the PWG used on the ME 7.2 system. It is integrated
into the accelerator pedal housing. Two hall sensors are used to provide the driver’s
input request for power.
The hall sensors receive power (5 volts) and ground from the MS 43 control module and
produce linear voltage signals as the pedal is pressed from LL to VL.
PWG SENSOR 1 = 0.5 to 4.5 V
PWG SENSOR 2 = 0.5 to 2.0 V
The MS 43 control module uses the
signal from sensor 1 as the driver’s
request and the signal from sensor 2
as plausibility checking.

MS 43 NEW FUNCTIONS
ACCELERATOR PEDAL SENSOR
PWG SIGNAL MONITORING & PWG FAILSAFE OPERATION:
• As a redundant safety feature the PWG provides two separate signals from two integral
angle hall sensors (HS #1 and HS #2) representing the driver’s request for throttle activation.
• If the monitored PWG signals are not plausible, MS 43.0 will only use the lower of the
two signals as the driver’s pedal request input providing failsafe operation. Throttle
response will be slower and maximum throttle position will be reduced.
• When in PWG failsafe operation, MS 43.0 sets the EDK throttle plate and injection time
to idle (LL) whenever the brake pedal is depressed.
• When the system is in PWG failsafe operation, the instrument cluster matrix display will
post “Engine Emergency Program” and PWG specific fault(s) will be stored in memory.
shanneba is offline   Reply With Quote