E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

View Poll Results: Suspension Upgrade Poll - HELP!
Eibach Pro Kit + Koni FSD 18 31.03%
H&R Sports Cup Kit 9 15.52%
KW V1 or V2s 18 31.03%
Any Other 13 22.41%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2010, 10:50 AM   #21
BMWespresso

My Ride: 2005 325CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyjuice5150 View Post
i suggest ST V1.. also made by KW.. same thing as KW v1.... using different material and cheaper.
+1 I have the ST setup
Old 06-05-2010, 01:25 PM   #22
shynebrite

My Ride: '04 330CI ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 328iacschnitzer View Post
Kw V1 I got them and they are amazing
how are the kw v1s feel ride quality wise, living in NY?
Old 06-05-2010, 10:19 PM   #23
chenja 330CI

My Ride: 330 Coupe
thanks guys for all the inputs. i have narrowed it down to the following 2:

1) eibach pro + koni fsd
vs.
2) kw v1

i keep reading that v1's shocks aren't as good as v2s, should that be a factor when comparing it to my spring + shocks combo?? i am going to get this soon b/c i want to finally get wheels for my car haha. also, once i go with one of my choices, will i need additional parts for either one for installation that might cost me more $$? will the additional cost for the v1s really be that much better for my daily driving needs?

let me know what you guys think, thanks all.

Last edited by chenja 330CI; 06-05-2010 at 10:25 PM.
chenja 330CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 10:01 PM   #24
snitzl3

My Ride: e60 LCI
Send a message via AIM to snitzl3
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkmanlfe View Post
Koni Yellows are not adjustable height-wise. Only the rebound is adjustable.
I currently have Yellows that has bottomed out. Fluids has been spilling out of it causing rust to developed around the strut. I had it for 2 years and 25,000 to be exact. It has failed me.

I went ahead and purchased HR Touring Cup Kit ($599) since it is the only kit not backordered at tirerack. FSDs and eibach is suppose to be good as well. But backordered and cost $800+. I don't track, just drive from point A to B.
well considering in his list of what was important to him he had drop and adjustability as two different things i figured he was talking about dampening adjustability. What kind of springs where you running with the yellows?
Old 06-06-2010, 10:16 PM   #25
Messe46

My Ride: 325xi ZSP - ONRLS
Send a message via AIM to Messe46
i would say h&r sport springs and h&r 3way adjustable rear sway. as for shocks and struts, bilsteins are probably just fine.
i did the above (minus the shocks/struts) and a nice set of dunlop sp sport maxx tires. i went from being just over 2 seconds slower than a zhp and z4 3.0 in autox, to being within .7 of a second of them. to put it in perspective, i have ~40-50hp less than those guys and i have awd.
i'm very happy with the setup and the ride quality.

Im sorry, but having an Aston Martin DB9 on the drive and not driving it is a bit like having Keira Knightley in your bed and sleeping on the couch. If youve got even half a scrotum its not going to happen.
-Jeremy Clarkson
Messe46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:37 PM   #26
chenja 330CI

bump, more opinions???

1) eibach pro + koni fsd
vs.
2) kw v1

i keep reading that v1's shocks aren't as good as v2s, should that be a factor when comparing it to my spring + shocks combo?? i am going to get this soon b/c i want to finally get wheels for my car haha. also, once i go with one of my choices, will i need additional parts for either one for installation that might cost me more $$? will the additional cost for the v1s really be that much better for my daily driving needs?
Old 06-09-2010, 06:59 AM   #27
ryanwhite74115

My Ride: 2011 Hyundai Sonata
FSD's and eibach...the KW's are so much more expensive.
ryanwhite74115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:23 AM   #28
chenja 330CI

^ agree that it's more expensive, but I wonder if it'll be THAT much noticeable/better for my needs.
Old 07-03-2010, 08:26 AM   #29
chenja 330CI

so i've finally decided to pull the trigger on FSD/Eibach Pro kit after talking to my independent shop guy. i don't think there is a need for me to get coilovers for now, and can save the money for other mods.

last question for you guys that have this set up, or have insights into this kit - is it safe to say there won't be any rubbing after the slight 1" drop from my stock sports pkg suspension? i am planning on putting in slightly wider 18" wheels after this (8.5 front, 9.5 back), let me know, thanks!
Old 07-04-2010, 10:39 AM   #30
packrat555

My Ride: 2001 325i
as someone suggested the ST V1 are same as KW VI on not stainless. If you don't drive in snow and salt then probablly a safe bet and can be had for less than $1000.

But, seeing as how you have rated handling and ride quality the top of your list i'm not sure you'll get that with any coilover especially with a 1 inch drop. If ride quality equals comfort the FSD is the clear choice but you will get minimal if any drop since you already have sport suspension.
packrat555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 11:05 AM   #31
chenja 330CI

i ordered the FSD/Eibach Pro kit from ECS and now awaiting shipment. one more question for you guys, and i have searched this to death without real answers. are their other parts that i should get to install this? new bump stops, shock mounts, etc.? or can i just use what's on my car now... let me know, thanks!
Old 07-11-2010, 11:34 AM   #32
monkeyjuice5150

My Ride: ///M3 droptop
Send a message via AIM to monkeyjuice5150
you would need rear shock mount. turner motorsport sell the JD ones for like 100.

You might as well do rear control arm bushing and front control arm bushing while at it. Tighten everything up. They're cheap mods to do.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:36 AM   #33
g4LLiT0

My Ride: 99 Bmw

H and R cupkit bought from jlevi 640+ i think...
Old 07-12-2010, 11:03 AM   #34
Edison@JleviSW
1.888.JLEVISW

My Ride: BMW Duh
Send a message via AIM to Edison@JleviSW
If you need the height adjustment then go with the KWs but I think the H&R Cup Kit is the best bang for your buck.
Edison@JleviSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:26 AM   #35
snitzl3

My Ride: e60 LCI
Send a message via AIM to snitzl3
Quote:
Originally Posted by chenja 330CI View Post
i ordered the FSD/Eibach Pro kit from ECS and now awaiting shipment. one more question for you guys, and i have searched this to death without real answers. are their other parts that i should get to install this? new bump stops, shock mounts, etc.? or can i just use what's on my car now... let me know, thanks!
you may want to get some front strut reinforcement plates also, im going to be doing a koni yellow/eibach install soon and im replacing rear shock mounts, front shock mounts, and adding the reinforcement plates for sure and might add a few other things, haven't decided yet.