E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-13-2010, 04:17 PM   #1
lkstaack

My Ride: 04 330iZHP, 05 325iT
Help Me Pick a Scan Tool

I want a middle of the road scan tool. Peak is too basic, and GT-1 is too complex. I want a tool that can read the error codes of all the electronic modules on my E46 in a format that aids in the diagnosis of the problem, reset SES and adaptation, aligns EWS, allows maximum programming of modules, and provides real time sensor streaming.

I am currently comparing Carsoft (CS) and Auto Enginuity (AE). It seems that CS can do most of what AE can at a lower price. I would appreciate anyones first hand experiences with these devices.

Based upon the information from their websites, it seems that both CS and AE do the same things. Both are PC based and use official BMW specific terminology. However, their websites are set up differently, so it's difficult to compare them evenly. For instance, AE's website seems to indicate that you can activate the ABS and CS does not. AE's website seems to indicate that you can program locks, interior lights, wipers and windows, AE's does not. The biggest differences that I note are indicated below.

Price: (I am not considering black or grey market devices)
-CS: $295
-AE: $480
Interface:
-CS: Serial Port
-AE: USB

So, does anyone have the definitive difference between AE and CS?
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-13-2010, 04:32 PM   #2
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
I have the AE tool with the BMW add-in. I think you can get the AE tool for a little less on eBay.

Honestly, I haven't played with the AE tool too much. I do know you can get an annual upgrade for $50.
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 04:33 PM   #3
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
had crapsoft, ok, but got rid of it, now i have peake research, wtf was i thinking with crap soft, really like how AE sounds, but not prepared to spend that kind of loot.
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 04:48 PM   #4
Another BM

My Ride: 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by snikwad View Post
had crapsoft, ok, but got rid of it, now i have peake research, wtf was i thinking with crap soft, really like how AE sounds, but not prepared to spend that kind of loot.
whats wrong with carsoft
Another BM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 04:49 PM   #5
Snik
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another BM View Post
whats wrong with carsoft
ive got a big laptop, it took me forever to get a serial to usb cord that worked, mine read in german for some reason, couldnt get it to show english,
in the end it was cool, but just too much trouble
Old 02-13-2010, 04:53 PM   #6
lkstaack

Quote:
ive got a big laptop, it took me forever to get a serial to usb cord that worked, mine read in german for some reason, couldnt get it to show english,
in the end it was cool, but just too much trouble
Did you purchase it from Carsoft, or from a resaler with Chinese hardware?
Old 02-13-2010, 04:57 PM   #7
Snik
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkstaack View Post
Did you purchase it from Carsoft, or from a resaler with Chinese hardware?
a guy on bf.c no chinese anywhere...
Old 02-13-2010, 08:24 PM   #8
Another BM

My Ride: 330ci
Quote:
a guy on bf.c no chinese anywhere...
did you end up getting it to work..

i researched for about a week and downloaded the software.
Picked up a bmw compatible interface and prestooooo..

i can scan my car no problem
Another BM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 10:10 PM   #9
Snik
OEM ///Member

Yeah, I had it working. Everything except diagnosing in english. So I'd scan, and then google it to translate and that how I found my problem.
Kinda funny, but hey, it did the job. Now I just plug in the peake, press a few buttons and look it up in the book. Done.

I just can't do cool program sh1t like the crapsoft was capable of.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:44 PM   #10
lkstaack

Well, I suspect that genuine Carsoft hardware and software won't have those types of problems. If so, the warranty should take care of it.

Still, I suspect that Auto Enginuity has some advantages over Carsoft to justify the significant price difference. Anyone know what it is?
Old 07-12-2010, 06:51 PM   #11
Au2bahn

My Ride: 05 330i ZHP,09 HCHII
Quote:
Well, I suspect that genuine Carsoft hardware and software won't have those types of problems. If so, the warranty should take care of it.

Still, I suspect that Auto Enginuity has some advantages over Carsoft to justify the significant price difference. Anyone know what it is?
Did you ever get the right scanner for your car? Im looking into a scanner as well. Initially Peake but not sure what Carsoft or AE can do over Peake.
Au2bahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 07:36 PM   #12
lkstaack

Quote:
Originally Posted by estrellajon View Post
Did you ever get the right scanner for your car? Im looking into a scanner as well. Initially Peake but not sure what Carsoft or AE can do over Peake.
I don't think that Carsoft is an option for us. The ZHP is a U.S. only model and Carsoft is European. Auto Enginuity with BMW enhancement was the only scanner/data logger within my budget that I could find that definitely supported the 330i with Performance Package.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:25 PM   #13
Au2bahn

My Ride: 05 330i ZHP,09 HCHII
Quote:
I don't think that Carsoft is an option for us. The ZHP is a U.S. only model and Carsoft is European. Auto Enginuity with BMW enhancement was the only scanner/data logger within my budget that I could find that definitely supported the 330i with Performance Package.
Aha!!! Thanks for narrowing my search. I was questioning the same and since I saw your ZHP sig, It was a perfect thread to resurrect.

Im assuming there is only 1 BMW enhancement for Auto Enginuity? Is there a site you can provide where you purchased your unit. Thanks
Au2bahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:02 PM   #14
lkstaack

Quote:
Originally Posted by estrellajon View Post
Aha!!! Thanks for narrowing my search. I was questioning the same and since I saw your ZHP sig, It was a perfect thread to resurrect.

Im assuming there is only 1 BMW enhancement for Auto Enginuity? Is there a site you can provide where you purchased your unit. Thanks
I bought my AE at Bimmerzone; they had the cheapest I could find at the time.

Yes, their is only one BMW enhancement application. You must ensure to select "330i Performance" and "Enhanced SULV" from the drop down menus to access the enhancement.

AE only started supporting ZHPs last year. There is another company that recently starting selling professional and enthusiast scanners for BMWs that looked very interesting (don't remember the name, but they advertise). I almost purchased from them but they don't supported ZHPs. Then I contacted Carsoft in Europe (Netherlands?) and asked the same question. They didn't seem to understand that there was a performance BMW just for the U.S. market. The CSR was condescending in the way that only some Europeans can be; I couldn't see myself getting technical support from them.

AE isn't perfect, but I'm not disappointed I got it. It takes a long time to gain communication with the modules, it sometimes will will just exit, and you can't save custom logging values. But, you can actuate alot of the modules, they have good customer support and it will tell you much more than a generic emissions scanner.

Last edited by lkstaack; 07-12-2010 at 09:03 PM.
lkstaack is offline   Reply With Quote