E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld

Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-12-2010, 03:40 PM   #41
delirium45

My Ride: 2004 M3
yep, i've got the high-flow version of the 16" fan, i bought the pin mounts too, but i think the fan is a bit too heavy for them, so i've ordered some of the bracket/straps as well. thanks for the quick response!

2011 Rocky Mountain Region GTS4 champion & "Rookie of the Year"
2012 Rocky Mountain Region GTS3 champion
Thanks Sponsors: SCR Performance & Built-by-Bones
delirium45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 04:10 PM   #42
JamesClay
Sponsor

My Ride: Any BMW with 4wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by delirium45 View Post
yep, i've got the high-flow version of the 16" fan, i bought the pin mounts too, but i think the fan is a bit too heavy for them, so i've ordered some of the bracket/straps as well. thanks for the quick response!
Disclaimer - while I do sometimes reply quickly, if this had been an actual business question, please direct to our office...

Agree - the 2.54" ius heavy for the pin mounts, but it is workable. The straps are my favorite option and you can slide them under the plastic shroud - will work well.
www.bimmerworldracing.com

Bimmer World
JamesClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 04:34 PM   #43
delirium45

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesC View Post
Disclaimer - while I do sometimes reply quickly, if this had been an actual business question, please direct to our office...
yep, understood, i had actually placed a call but got tied up with a prior question (availability of NT-01's) and Brian is due to call me back with word from Nitto... you just got back to me before he had

sorry for the OT, btw, fun build thus far

Old 07-15-2010, 06:31 PM   #44
tim330i
Owner/Admin

My Ride: 03 Ti Silver M3
Not to keep going OT but will you please post a DIY for the rest of us? I'm interested in replacing the mechanical fan at some point.

James - More updates

Tim
tim330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:24 PM   #45
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
JamesC,

I might be none of my business but what was the original budget constraint? Do you mind posting retail pricing of all the parts and labor hours?

How streetable is brake ducting and removing the brake dust shields? I know I've torn up 5 fender well liners in the 7 years I've had my car. I'm sure brake ducting would not last nearly as long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i View Post
Not to keep going OT but will you please post a DIY for the rest of us? I'm interested in replacing the mechanical fan at some point.

James - More updates

Tim
Say it ain't so...a mod (actually the owner!) theadjacking

Last edited by bigjae1976; 07-15-2010 at 09:26 PM.
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 01:16 PM   #46
JamesClay
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i View Post
Will do. But really it is as easy as pulling off the mechanical fan, mounting the new electrical, and then wiring it in - probably less than an hour job and most of it is intutive or follows the instructions in the parts boxes. Will do better when I'm not at the track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
I might be none of my business but what was the original budget constraint? Do you mind posting retail pricing of all the parts and labor hours?

How streetable is brake ducting and removing the brake dust shields? I know I've torn up 5 fender well liners in the 7 years I've had my car. I'm sure brake ducting would not last nearly as long.
I will definitely talk about the budget at some point. The number was important, but more important is constraint of the number. I had a pretty heavy filter on when deciding what parts to use. For example - the decision to spend $2500 on aero got a lot more consideration than $500 on a brake cooling kit and ducts. Everyone expects a car with 100k of race parts thrown at it to be fast. I wanted to surprise people with how fast we could go on how little money.

Now it is an E46 M3, I did want to make it representative of what I feel is the average customer's car or just a little bit more, so I think the number now is around $15k in parts (retail). More on that later.

Brake ducts are durable. You remove the hose when not at the track.

Bimmer World
Old 07-16-2010, 01:28 PM   #47
delirium45

Tim, i am documenting my 16" SPAL high-flow fan install, it is a little larger in size and requires some modification of the OE fan shroud to mount flush with the rad. i'll post a link once i have completed it.

Good luck this w/e in NJ to you, James, and the rest of the BW team.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:13 PM   #48
bigjae1976

Quote:
I will definitely talk about the budget at some point. The number was important, but more important is constraint of the number.
I would also request an estimate for labor hours.

At least for the stuff that def requires the skill of a professional, like the cage fabrication. Don't really anyone here really needs to include things like replacing the brake rotors, etc.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:03 PM   #49
JamesClay
Sponsor

The plan with the project was to have something that could be completely built at home by the average enthusiast mechanic. At some point, we will push it a little past that point, but everything to date can be recreated with a Bentley manual, normal tools, and a bit of effort.

You mentioned fabrication specifically. As I mentioned in the early post on that, what we are doing can be duplicated by a bolt-in rollbar, which you can install - and remove down the road. We did custom because I like our part better and there was no great time savings by the time we installed another product.

Bimmer World
Old 07-19-2010, 10:05 PM   #50
JamesClay
Sponsor

A few quick shots - more on our website Project Page.

Racetech 4009W seats - the wide version fits most, including me. Built by the Kiwis, who have much more similar body types to the average American than the Italians... Schroth belts both sides as well - 6-pointers will feel nice at the speeds we are moving.
BW_E46M3STC (43)

Evosport seat adaptors give a variety of seating positions and the Racetech mounts bolt right on. Remember - build it in your garage, not show what BimmerWorld can fabricate.
BW_E46M3STC (46)

Tires for the UTCC? Something very fast. And something that comes up to speed quickly. There is plenty of traffic and you only get a couple of laps before you have to start running in traffic which best-case slows you down. Worst case, I don't think the majority of drivers feel comfortable facilitating a pass where I would want it. So all this leads to a full slick (fast) from Hoosier (up to speed quickly). 265/645R18 all 4 corners (slicks are done in diameter, not aspect ratio) and with an _____ compound.
BW_E46M3STC (50)

Doing some scaling and setup. Initial numbers have it under 3,000 wet. The final number will impress for one of those "heavy newer-model cars" as our E30 and E36 brethren call the E46...
BW_E46M3STC (42)

More later this week.

Bimmer World
Old 07-20-2010, 01:42 AM   #51
SteelGray3

My Ride: 2003 slicktop LSB M3

cya at VIR!
Old 07-20-2010, 01:59 AM   #52
firefirefire90
Banned

My Ride: suce ma bite
Send a message via AIM to firefirefire90
does the intake utilize the MAF or are you goin to be running alpha N?
firefirefire90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:46 AM   #53
JamesClay
Sponsor

This is the alpha-N version.

Bimmer World
Old 07-20-2010, 10:55 AM   #54
bigjae1976

Quote:
The plan with the project was to have something that could be completely built at home by the average enthusiast mechanic. At some point, we will push it a little past that point, but everything to date can be recreated with a Bentley manual, normal tools, and a bit of effort.

You mentioned fabrication specifically. As I mentioned in the early post on that, what we are doing can be duplicated by a bolt-in rollbar, which you can install - and remove down the road. We did custom because I like our part better and there was no great time savings by the time we installed another product.
Got it. Thanks! I look forward to more progress.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:16 PM   #55
IDriveRealSlow

My Ride: goes slow!
sick project, ill be following this as well
Old 07-21-2010, 09:45 PM   #56
JamesClay
Sponsor

More updates online. Will do a writeup when I have time.

BimmerWorld - E46 M3 Street Track Project Page

James

Bimmer World
Old 07-21-2010, 10:04 PM   #57
cyberkaa

Location: Sunnyvale, CA <-- Ithaca, NY <-- dirty jerz (201) Useful Posts: 25
My Ride: E46 332i,M3;E30 325i
Send a message via ICQ to cyberkaa Send a message via AIM to cyberkaa Send a message via MSN to cyberkaa Send a message via Yahoo to cyberkaa

M3 drive train conversion (S54 Swap, LSD, 6MT, suspension linkage) | UUC Stg 2 Organic Clutch | OEM M-Tech II Kit
KW V2 | BBS GT4 RE | Falken FK452 | Alcon 6-pot 365mm BBK | M3 steering wheel | Powerflex bushings

Quote:
Originally Posted by koven View Post
i'd rather be gapless with no bulge
cyberkaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 04:57 PM   #58
JamesClay
Sponsor

One final update before the event tomorrow. It has been a whirlwind to get this all finished. The car is light (2900, no driver), makes good power (almost 340 wheel), and really looks pretty awesome - I was surprised how clean/street it looks given the specs. The street ride is also very nice even with the big boy springs, as we found out today when we took it for a state inspection (it passed!).

More pictures on the website, and I will do a full writeup later. For now, here it is getting prepped and ready for the weekend at VIR and Summit!

BW_E46M3STC (62)

Bimmer World
Old 07-22-2010, 05:04 PM   #59
cyberkaa

Location: Sunnyvale, CA <-- Ithaca, NY <-- dirty jerz (201) Useful Posts: 25
My Ride: E46 332i,M3;E30 325i
Send a message via ICQ to cyberkaa Send a message via AIM to cyberkaa Send a message via MSN to cyberkaa Send a message via Yahoo to cyberkaa
Awesome job! Lots of luck this weekend.

M3 drive train conversion (S54 Swap, LSD, 6MT, suspension linkage) | UUC Stg 2 Organic Clutch | OEM M-Tech II Kit
KW V2 | BBS GT4 RE | Falken FK452 | Alcon 6-pot 365mm BBK | M3 steering wheel | Powerflex bushings

Quote:
Originally Posted by koven View Post
i'd rather be gapless with no bulge
cyberkaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 05:55 PM   #60
vaio76109

My Ride: Race Cars
So, uh, 2:05?
vaio76109 is offline   Reply With Quote