E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-17-2010, 02:02 PM   #1
///M3AN ONE

My Ride: AA HKS Boosted M3
Need help trouble shooting AEM boost gauge

Finally installed my AEM digital gauges. AFR gauge is reading fine but my boost gauge doesn't seem to be registering boost. When I turn the car on both gauges go through it's cycles. The boost gauge starts to go left of the zero slowly at idle and stays at around -8 to -10. When I start driving, the gauge does not move toward the right into boost and just stays at -8 or -10. At full revs while driving to 7-8k rpms, gauge stays at -8 to -10.

I double checked all the connections. I have both gauges grounded to the cig lighter and both tapped into the radio power line (fuse 7) in the glove box. The boost sensor is tapped into my vacuum line in between the blow off valves. I even tried moving the sensor tap closer to the fuel rail and still the same results. I made sure the sensor wire was not flat or pinched off anywhere from the steering column to the vac line. I have both AFR and boost sensor wires going through the DME hole on the drivers side. I pulled out all the covers and carpeting underneath the steering column just to make sure it was a clean read. I un-plugged the wire behind the gauge and re-plugged and no luck.

I'm not sure what else to do...any of you FI gauge experts have any suggestions? Could I have a bad gauge? Is there another way to reset it somehow?

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-17-2010, 02:11 PM   #2
Dreikraft

My Ride: slow m3
seems like you've covered all the bases you can without swapping...anyone local you could swap boost gauges with? i'd try that first before replacing the one you have. good luck

also, i'll have my hpf aem gauges FS here soon, if you want to replace both.

Last edited by Dreikraft; 07-17-2010 at 02:16 PM.
Dreikraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 02:23 PM   #3
///M3AN ONE

Yeah, I guess swapping another gauge in will let me know if all connections are good. I just wanted to make sure if I missed something or someone else had a similar experience. Gauges are brand new so I can exchange if necessary.
Old 07-17-2010, 02:34 PM   #4
Ispeed

My Ride: 2005 M3
Send a message via AIM to Ispeed
where did you connect the vacuum source?
the sensor is in the wrong spot,

Connect it to the line going to the bov, if it is already in that spot you need to check the line on the firewall, it is a hard plastic line that connects to a rubber line, i had my line come loose and I had the same problem.
2009 RR Sport
Ispeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 03:02 PM   #5
///M3AN ONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ispeed View Post
where did you connect the vacuum source?
the sensor is in the wrong spot,

Connect it to the line going to the bov, if it is already in that spot you need to check the line on the firewall, it is a hard plastic line that connects to a rubber line, i had my line come loose and I had the same problem.
Sensor is connected to the line closest to the front blow off valve. I'll check the hard line closest to the firewall. That one might be loose... Thanks! I'll check back in a few...
Old 07-17-2010, 04:04 PM   #6
///M3AN ONE

Ispeed,
That hard line was a tad loose. Zip tied it and it helped out my idling issue! Thanks! As far as the boost gauge, at least now it's idling at -16 to -18 and when on the throttle it goes to zero but doesn't go past zero...Should I move the sensor in between the hard line and fuel rail?
Old 07-17-2010, 05:50 PM   #7
Ispeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M3AN ONE View Post
Ispeed,
That hard line was a tad loose. Zip tied it and it helped out my idling issue! Thanks! As far as the boost gauge, at least now it's idling at -16 to -18 and when on the throttle it goes to zero but doesn't go past zero...Should I move the sensor in between the hard line and fuel rail?
yes
2009 RR Sport
Old 07-17-2010, 05:52 PM   #8
cnotesdip

My Ride: 330ci
can you take some pictures of the sensor and its location?
cnotesdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 07:24 PM   #9
///M3AN ONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnotesdip View Post
can you take some pictures of the sensor and its location?
Let me move the sensor again. If that still doesn't work ill post pics.
Old 07-17-2010, 08:19 PM   #10
cnotesdip

My Ride: 330ci
when you get it to work take pics i have a similar problem with my set up i only see about 5psi
cnotesdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 11:38 PM   #11
///M3AN ONE

Ugh! I just can't figure it out. I pulled all the wiring and reconnected and still get the same results. At least now the gauge is actually moving between -12 to -18 at idle but doesn't past zero on the throttle. Gauge reads zero when on the throttle and goes back to -12 to -18 when I let off. I moved the sensor to 3 different spots on the vacuum line, one in between the blow off valves, one closer to the fuel rail after the 2 blow off valves, and one right after the hard line coming from the fire wall. Unplugged the sensor and replugged, nothing! I can also just have the shop that's doing my dyno take a look and hopefully make it work...I know I'm making boost, just not sure how much!?!
Old 07-18-2010, 10:16 AM   #12
Ispeed

my sensor is between the bov and fuel rail. i start to see boost around 4k rpm
good luck getting it fixed.
2009 RR Sport
Old 07-18-2010, 08:07 PM   #13
dub325i

My Ride: 2001 LSB M3
I have mine on the line between the BOV / bypass valves. It was the easiest to access without taking anything off. Maybe the line that goes to the sensor for the guage is kinked or damaged internally somehow? And FWIW I see vacuum of 20 at idle and 22-24 off the gas decelerating depending on gear and RPM.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:02 AM   #14
///M3AN ONE

Thanks for the help guys... I also see vacuum around 18-20 off throttle but just pegs at 0 when on the throttle even past 4K on up. I think Ill just swap it for a new one.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:48 PM   #15
SweTurbo
Big Pimpin'

My Ride: 323i -98
Quote:
Thanks for the help guys... I also see vacuum around 18-20 off throttle but just pegs at 0 when on the throttle even past 4K on up. I think Ill just swap it for a new one.
Sounds just like you have it installed after a check valve.

Best thing is to plug it before the purge valve, or to drill a hole in the manifold and screw it in there.
SweTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 03:51 PM   #16
///M3AN ONE

Boost gauge problem solved!!!!!!! I am an idiot!?! Lolz, wasn't the gauge. I had a small boost leak from the blower to the S pipe. I didn't see the leak because it was behind where I couldn't see! When I made adjustments to my S pipe, somehow it came loose off the back.

I just want to thank Jean at AA for being patient with me, he also referred me to some tech guys at AEM to troubleshoot. FYI, they had a great idea to check the gauge to see if it was registering boost. They had me hook up a bike pump with a pressure gauge to the sensor. I connected the bike hose and sensor with an extra wire. Turned the car on and started pumping! Gauge showed boost past 16 psi.... Duh!?!

Anyways... I'm putting out 9-10psi on the blower! Afr's look pretty good but now I think I'm ready to at least dyno....
Old 07-21-2010, 08:33 PM   #17
leletyM3

My Ride: 05 M3
Quote:
Boost gauge problem solved!!!!!!! I am an idiot!?! Lolz, wasn't the gauge. I had a small boost leak from the blower to the S pipe. I didn't see the leak because it was behind where I couldn't see! When I made adjustments to my S pipe, somehow it came loose off the back.

I just want to thank Jean at AA for being patient with me, he also referred me to some tech guys at AEM to troubleshoot. FYI, they had a great idea to check the gauge to see if it was registering boost. They had me hook up a bike pump with a pressure gauge to the sensor. I connected the bike hose and sensor with an extra wire. Turned the car on and started pumping! Gauge showed boost past 16 psi.... Duh!?!

Anyways... I'm putting out 9-10psi on the blower! Afr's look pretty good but now I think I'm ready to at least dyno....
Great to know that you found the problem...so I am assuming your car should pull a bit harder too since you had a boost leak

Well keep us updated!! See you next time!

HPF Stg2 Turbo 640rwhp, Eisenmann Race 83mmx4, Volk TE37 TA, Toyo T1R, Brembo BBK 380mm 6pots & 345, 6k HID, 6K HID Fogs, Depo Smoked Corners, Strassentech Front Lip, V-CSL Bootlid, V-CSL Diffuser

leletyM3 is offline   Reply With Quote