E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2010, 07:13 AM   #1
320 open

My Ride: bmw e46 2.2 cabrio
wilwood big brake kit opinions

i have bought a bbk for my bmw e46cabrio 2.2 6 cylinder(170hp).the specifications of the wilwood kit are the following:dynalite 4 pistons brake calipers(120-6810),wilwood brake pads(150-8850k),rotors 325mmx25.stainless steel hoses.i have talk to several people that sell brakes and told me that the kit will be better than the stock front brakes of 330.what do you think?????i dont use the car in track,i want better stopping power on the road

Last edited by 320 open; 05-09-2010 at 02:09 PM.
320 open is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-08-2010, 04:46 PM   #2
ryanwhite74115

My Ride: 2011 Hyundai Sonata
Some would argue that the only reason to have a BBK is for better heat absorption/ heat dissapation from the brake pads while being on a track. I have never been in a car that was "upgraded to BBK" but logical would state that a larger rotor with more brake pad surface area would brake more effectively and cool down better than a smaller OEM setup...

I would say get it but dont "go all out" since you are not tracking...

I have also heard that the Wildwood kit's from UUC are not that great because their brackets are made of junk (the rotors, calipers and pads are good though)...

I would wait for more educated opinions before dropping $1-3k on brakes.
ryanwhite74115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 06:15 PM   #3
drivrswntd

My Ride: 330ci
I would visit our open discussion we have going on now in the track section. We've been debating for 4 pages so far: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=757666

Boston BMWCCA chapter
drivrswntd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 07:55 PM   #4
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
Yes, the title of the thread is misleading but you'll find out everything you need to know. Thread jack of the year.
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 10:51 AM   #5
320 open

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivrswntd View Post
I would visit our open discussion we have going on now in the track section. We've been debating for 4 pages so far: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=757666
i have already read the debate.i have already bought the kit at low price.i want better stopping powerON THE ROAD not track performace.right now i have the oem set up(oem calipers,300mm rotors oem).iam planning to change my engine (2.2 liter)m54b22 with the 3.0liter m54b30.ihave made the upgrade of the suspenssion with racing coilovers and now i have to upgrade brakes.i dont want to use the front oem brakes.so i bought the wilwood bbk for the front axle.i have compared the brake pad area of my oem pad with wilwood.its almost the same.i say almost because my oem textar brake pad make angles left and right and dont use all the area of the rotor.in addition wilwood brake pad uses all the area of the rotor(compare them face to face including the dead angles of the oem pad,wilwood pad is less bigger) .wilwood brake pads are made from better material with higher temp specs.the rotors are also bigger,from 300mm oem go to 325mm slotted.finally i think that wilwood 4 piston caliper is MUCH better than my oem.tell me your opinion those of you that you are using the wilwood bbk???i forgot to mention that for the rear axle i have bought oem calipers and rotors.

Last edited by 320 open; 05-09-2010 at 10:56 AM.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:39 AM   #6
bigjae1976

I think we covered EVERY aspect of the kit in the thread that was linked before. I can't say that it will stop shorter than OEM, I've never measured.

I think pads, fluids, and the condition of your suspension and tires will have a lot of influence on stopping distance.

Now, the wilwood kit is more than enough brakes for 20-30 minute runs on the track. I'm sure you'll be OK on the street.
Old 05-09-2010, 02:05 PM   #7
320 open

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
I think we covered EVERY aspect of the kit in the thread that was linked before. I can't say that it will stop shorter than OEM, I've never measured.

I think pads, fluids, and the condition of your suspension and tires will have a lot of influence on stopping distance.

Now, the wilwood kit is more than enough brakes for 20-30 minute runs on the track. I'm sure you'll be OK on the street.
thank you,this is what they told me here in Greece people that not sell wilwood brakes.at the end of the month i will test them.i will inform you
Old 05-09-2010, 02:31 PM   #8
SpeedDemon

My Ride: 08 M3/05 ZHP/08 R32
Notice that the OP said his kit comes with a Dynalite caliper and not a Superlite caliper like we are talking about in the thread in the Motorsport section. Dynalite isn't the same quality as Superlite.

Also, FWIW, I kind of thread jacked my own thread
SpeedDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 04:10 PM   #9
320 open

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedDemon View Post
Notice that the OP said his kit comes with a Dynalite caliper and not a Superlite caliper like we are talking about in the thread in the Motorsport section. Dynalite isn't the same quality as Superlite.

i know but i think that both dynalite-superlite use the same brake pad.notice that i want them for fast-road not for track
Old 05-09-2010, 04:33 PM   #10
bigjae1976

Quote:
Didn't see that.

Quote:
which is why I didn't feel bad!
Old 05-09-2010, 09:22 PM   #11
cnotesdip

My Ride: 330ci
i bought the bbk kit for the front and the instructions are not that clear if you call uuc they expect you to know where everything goes. now everything is very straight foward the only problem i had was with all the washers i bought the front and rear and all the washers where in one bag together and i really had a problem with the big spacers i try using those on the front and that make things very hard for me the 90 degree fitting that goes in the caliper doesn't go all the way in i thought it should the instructions are in black and white they look better in color so you may want to have the instructions email to you to view then on a pc
cnotesdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 06:35 AM   #12
bigjae1976

There shouldn't be any spacers on the front. Just a washer under the 2 bracket bolts that goes into the OEM hub and the 2 caliper bolts that bolt to the bracket.
Old 05-10-2010, 03:00 PM   #13
AL330CI

My Ride: 330Ci
From what I understand, the 4 piston front kit will require 3 spacing washers on each mounting bolt to center the the caliper. There is a set stainless spacers included with the kit, but they are not used for the E46. I have the 4-piston kit (same calipers as the front kit) in the rear and 3 washers (in lieu of spacers) is how I installed mine also. This may be different depending on the rotor choice selected for the kit as this could affect where the centerline of thr rotor disk is, thus also affects the number of washers used. The kit is felxible in this respect, but also makes it a bit of a trial and error installation.

The 6 piston front kit (uses the Superlite SL-6 calipers) uses just the stainless spacer to center the caliper (on spacer per mounting bolt). The spacing washers included with the kit are not used. This is the kit I have in the front.
AL330CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 02:21 PM   #14
320 open

i have already tested my new brakes.almost excellent impressions.high speed brake stops from 227 km to 70km without press them to the limit.the car stopped faster than my stock brakes(300x22) and gives a more safety feeling than before,in terms of braking.i have made several tests at the same road in the past with my stock brakes and there is a great reduce of stopping distance(although i cant measure it in meters).i have also made many brake stops in street with turns and the brakes didnt show any sign of fading.i forgot to mention that the car was loaded with 3 persons and luggage.the only issue concerns a small noise(not all the time).the noise doesnt affect the power of the brakes.finally the new pads leave less dust on wheels than the stock ones
Old 07-12-2010, 06:54 PM   #15
AL330CI

My Ride: 330Ci
1. A bit of scraping noise is normal for the Willwoods, especially when hot.

2. Street driving will not come close to making your stock brakes fade either (even with three people onboard). Upgrading to the Willwoods only increases the operational margin and does pretty much nothing (other than the feel) on street application. Make sure your fluid is changed on a regular basis - every 2 years max for street use, every 6 months for track use.

3. Your feeling of shorter stoping distance is just that, your feeling. As long as your brake can lockup the wheels (which stock brake does just fine), then stopping distance is determined by how much your tires are in contact with the ground and how sticky your tires are. Your feeling of shorter stopping distance more likely have to do with the different frictional materials between the aftermarket and the oem pads. The higher friction aftermarket pads will give you a more aggressive initial bite, thus, contributing to a feeling of stronger braking. Ultimately, the stopping is the same when maximum braking effort is used.

In the end, your Willwood brakes makes your brake feel better, which in turn gives you more confident, which in turn helping you drive faster. That's really the point of it all. Go have fun with it.
AL330CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 12:35 PM   #16
320 open

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL330CI View Post
1. A bit of scraping noise is normal for the Willwoods, especially when hot.

2. Street driving will not come close to making your stock brakes fade either (even with three people onboard). Upgrading to the Willwoods only increases the operational margin and does pretty much nothing (other than the feel) on street application. Make sure your fluid is changed on a regular basis - every 2 years max for street use, every 6 months for track use.

3. Your feeling of shorter stoping distance is just that, your feeling. As long as your brake can lockup the wheels (which stock brake does just fine), then stopping distance is determined by how much your tires are in contact with the ground and how sticky your tires are. Your feeling of shorter stopping distance more likely have to do with the different frictional materials between the aftermarket and the oem pads. The higher friction aftermarket pads will give you a more aggressive initial bite, thus, contributing to a feeling of stronger braking. Ultimately, the stopping is the same when maximum braking effort is used.

In the end, your Willwood brakes makes your brake feel better, which in turn gives you more confident, which in turn helping you drive faster. That's really the point of it all. Go have fun with it.
the feeling is better,i am sure about that.but is not only the feeling. the tires are the same brand and almost the same condition.but the reduced distance (especially from high speed braking) is a fact.at the same test with the stock brakes after the initial bite ,the oem brakes hadnt anything else to offer.my stock brakes 300x22(only the adaptors of disk rotors are different ,in order to fit the disks) had the same oem brake pad and caliper with the 286x22brake of the 2-4 door 320ci,and there was significant difference of the 300x22.so if there is a significant difference at the example i have mentioned,is sensible to have smaller stopping distances an d better feeling,with the wilwood brake kit.about fading,i have tested them as i was going down a mountain road full of turns,low tarmac quality(road distance approx.25-30 km) , driving quite fast with 3 persons and luggage on board.no sign of fading.i know that this is not a track use,but i think this road can show the weaknesses of any brake system.

Last edited by 320 open; 07-13-2010 at 12:38 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:31 PM   #17
cuprafenix

My Ride: BMW e46 320cd
About willwood a friend of myne bought a kit, it performed very well till one day he noticed the rotors...

Several craks showing on both front rotors...

The kit has about 5000 miles...

The rotors are crossed and drilled.

Now he's bought some solid rotors and he's hoping that craks don't show again.
cuprafenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 07:49 PM   #18
320 open

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuprafenix View Post
About willwood a friend of myne bought a kit, it performed very well till one day he noticed the rotors...

Several craks showing on both front rotors...

The kit has about 5000 miles...

The rotors are crossed and drilled.

Now he's bought some solid rotors and he's hoping that craks don't show again.
my rotors are drilled not crossed.your friend have made track use?
Old 07-15-2010, 10:48 PM   #19
bigjae1976

FYI, my OEM M3 floating drilled rotors cracked after about 25k miles.
Old 07-17-2010, 07:21 PM   #20
cuprafenix

My Ride: BMW e46 320cd
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320 open View Post
my rotors are drilled not crossed.your friend have made track use?
Yep mostly track use.
cuprafenix is offline   Reply With Quote