E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-15-2010, 03:50 PM   #21
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
If you're okay with it, can we start mocking you seriously now? You really do deserve it, you know...

So this is the stupidest thing you've ever done? Dude, you put car into reverse from neutral, when you shouldn't have been in either.

Was a woman involved in any of this?

BTW, +1 on those who say stay in gear. I'm sorry you don't have a manual, as I'm sure are you, but think about it...if you had a manny, you'd have gone from neutral to where...pick a number...doesn't even have to be a forward gear!

So what do you think you were thinking...that coz you were going down a hill in neutral, that you had a steptronic all of a sudden and could push up for a lower gear? No, I'm thinking drugs, alcohol, or women...yes, two of the three.

Maybe something else going on in back seat...don't want to say what I'm thinking, OP, but I'm pretty sure you know I know. We can leave it at that, or you can do so explaining.

Sorry about those harsh words above...trying to find my fanatics voice! There are some really rude people here!

Doug

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 04:02 PM   #22
Andy2108

My Ride: E46 M3, '67 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killinspree View Post
these are all great replies so thanks everyone, i wont be putting it into neutral anymore thats for sure! il check and see what OBDII code i recieve, hopefully its nothing major but putting it into reverse gear while going 80 in the opposite direction was by far the stupidest thing ive done, i was expecting people to make fun of me hehe

just to clearify:
my car is only automatic- no step, those were introduced in the models an year after mine
problems only started occuring after my error
You were going 80!?!?!?

Maybe the fact that you have a straight up auto means you dont have the computer controlled bit in there either. Do you have a button at the bottom of the throttle movement? Do you have the capability of like a "sport" mode with "manual" shifting?

The tranny might have legitimately gone into reverse without a computer there to stop it. I would think bmw would design a saftey feature for this . Maybe read the manual to get some more info? I would look but I dont have a 1999 manual handy.

Hahaha Doug ^

Im not trying to be harsh at all. Im just trying to figure out what could have happened I guess... The U Haul videos just fit the bill.

De gustibus non est disputandum.

Last edited by Andy2108; 07-15-2010 at 04:04 PM.
Andy2108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 01:25 PM   #23
White_Knuckles

My Ride: 2003 325xi
What happened when this mis-shift occurred? Did the car violently shudder or skid? You describe the damage was already done that suggests something went south that you felt or heard. The manual guys have coined the term "money shift". Perhaps this can now be extended to auto-trans owners?
Old 07-16-2010, 04:19 PM   #24
Killinspree

My Ride: 1999 323i
ive never had a girlriend, too smart to drink and drive and never done drugs so none of those were factors haha

when the mis shift occured everything seemed fine at first, i reached my destination safely without noticing anything out of the ordinary, but when i left the destination the dash showed an check engine light, the time only time its noticable is going from a full stop to 40, or when idling, after that the car runs fairly smoothly. But a jerkiness motion can definatly be felt when accelerating from a complete stop.

im not blaming the manufacter but even i am suprised the car let me shift into reverse from neutral while the car was going 80 forward in the first place, i dont quite still know how i managed to do that- it happend none the less. no sport mode no steptronic or manual shifting, just straight up automatic.

il get the car checked out today hopefully n get back with the engine code
Killinspree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 04:37 PM   #25
blarf

My Ride: '00 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2108 View Post
Maybe the fact that you have a straight up auto means you dont have the computer controlled bit in there either. Do you have a button at the bottom of the throttle movement? Do you have the capability of like a "sport" mode with "manual" shifting?
BMW has been using computer controlled automatic transmissions since the late 80s.
blarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 05:47 PM   #26
White_Knuckles

My Ride: 2003 325xi
"when the mis shift occured everything seemed fine at first"... So, nothing happened? It just continued cruising along and you pulled it back into drive? I imagined a screeching, hair-rising event that would make for a wet spot on your pant leg. Your current concern may not even be related. Pull and post your SES code(s).
Old 07-16-2010, 05:50 PM   #27
fotsir

My Ride: 2004 Lexus IS300
Actually your car may use more gas at neutral than engine braking, because at some point on the E46 BMW programmed their DMEs to turn off the injectors when engine braking.

Obviously in this case your engine idling in neutral uses more gas than your engine being turned by the rear wheels but not using any gas.

Also the more your engine brakes, the less you wear on your brakes.

Also, at least in the USA, you don't need to press the shift button to go from Drive to Neutral, but you do to go from Neutral to Reverse. Sadly, that mechanism is there to prevent this sort of incident. While on the topic, you don't have to press the shift button to go from Reverse to Neutral or Neutral to Drive.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:47 PM   #28
Killinspree

My Ride: 1999 323i
ok so got the car checked out, dont know the specific code but it turns out it was a misfire on cylinder 2, might have not had anything to do with the mis shift after all.
so bought some brand new spark plugs, replaced all 6 and so far so good! car performs like its new again. i'l continue to post if the problem reoccurs, but if this did solve the problem- i might have dodged a bullet, it would be the best case senario i can think of for something that seemed like a major problem.
Killinspree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 11:55 AM   #29
golf_234

My Ride: E90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killinspree View Post
ok so got the car checked out, dont know the specific code but it turns out it was a misfire on cylinder 2, might have not had anything to do with the mis shift after all.
so bought some brand new spark plugs, replaced all 6 and so far so good! car performs like its new again. i'l continue to post if the problem reoccurs, but if this did solve the problem- i might have dodged a bullet, it would be the best case senario i can think of for something that seemed like a major problem.
lmao op you just gave me a good laugh lol. in terms of codes from a bmw, a misfire on one cylinder is like the tiniest code i have ever seen lol. some guys come up here with like page long code readouts lol.

happy for you though and get a peake reader for gods sake!

2008 135i | Year 1 of the 1 | AW/Black Boston Leather | N54 | JB4 | Map 5 | 19" Matte Black CSLs | Comfort Access
Adaptive Xenons | Premium/Sport | Cold Weather | Brembos | Clear Bra | Auto Dim | Rain Sensor | 350 WHP
golf_234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:48 PM   #30
golf_234

while you are at the spark plugs i would go ahead and do the fuel filter air filter power steering fluid brake fluid oil and coolant

2008 135i | Year 1 of the 1 | AW/Black Boston Leather | N54 | JB4 | Map 5 | 19" Matte Black CSLs | Comfort Access
Adaptive Xenons | Premium/Sport | Cold Weather | Brembos | Clear Bra | Auto Dim | Rain Sensor | 350 WHP
Old 07-19-2010, 01:24 PM   #31
ac_2007

My Ride: F32 M4, E46 M3/325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by golf_234 View Post
while you are at the spark plugs i would go ahead and do the fuel filter air filter power steering fluid brake fluid oil and coolant
Don't forget to change the xenon fluid too..

Serriously, going down hill you want to be putting it in a lower gear to engine brake. Don't worry about gas, when engine braking you aren't using it. We're fuel injected not careburated
ac_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 01:49 PM   #32
kurtnhl

My Ride: 330i
I like how so many people like to criticize on this forum now while they add nothing to the thread. I think he got it after the first time. Anyway, I have had two misfires and my car is running how you discribed. Your fine.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:52 PM   #33
golf_234

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtnhl View Post
I like how so many people like to criticize on this forum now while they add nothing to the thread. I think he got it after the first time. Anyway, I have had two misfires and my car is running how you discribed. Your fine.
i hope you werent referencing mine? i was being serious lol.. it is good measure for the car

Old 07-19-2010, 01:58 PM   #34
kurtnhl

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf_234 View Post
i hope you werent referencing mine? i was being serious lol.. it is good measure for the car
One liners arn't a problem and you had some imput.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:22 PM   #35
ac_2007

Quote:
One liners arn't a problem and you had some imput.
I was thinking about going for my internetz polise certificate too, where did you get yours?
Old 07-19-2010, 02:59 PM   #36
kurtnhl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_2007 View Post
I was thinking about going for my internetz polise certificate too, where did you get yours?
Do you write your own jokes? Damn that was funny.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:07 PM   #37
ac_2007

Quote:
Do you write your own jokes? Damn that was funny.
Ofcourse, if you ever need help let me know
Old 07-19-2010, 03:10 PM   #38
xi325xi02

My Ride: 325xi
You do know that you save more gas by downshifting right? Esp since you were going downhill

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebad328i View Post
you want ladys damm, get a punchin hard ass sound system
I HATE CVT'S
xi325xi02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 04:13 PM   #39
ac_2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by xi325xi02 View Post
You do know that you save more gas by downshifting right? Esp since you were going downhill
I also heard driving in reverse actually FILLS UP your gas tank because the pistons move in the other direction extracting CO2 from the atmosphere and converting it back into petrolleum
Old 07-19-2010, 05:37 PM   #40
golf_234

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_2007 View Post
I also heard driving in reverse actually FILLS UP your gas tank because the pistons move in the other direction extracting CO2 from the atmosphere and converting it back into petrolleum
lol.. if you are developing this you may be a billionaire very soon