E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-18-2009, 07:50 AM   #21
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
The phrase, "you get what you pay for", comes to mind.

As for the "hate" it only makes sense given some guys saved up for a long time to spend 2k on suspension parts, so it's only natural that they are going to hate on some product that MIGHT work just as well for a tenth the cost.

PS, I have my pss9 box in the garage. I'll check to see if it has that label. I don't remember seeing such.

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244

Last edited by 2000_328CI; 11-18-2009 at 07:54 AM.
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 08:02 AM   #22
shady3one3
Banned

My Ride: gets replaced soon.
Send a message via AIM to shady3one3
Dampering isn't a word.
shady3one3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 08:42 AM   #23
BMWespresso

My Ride: 2005 325CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by shady3one3 View Post
Dampering isn't a word.
is two words dam and pering JK, I have my STs box also i'll look tonite
Old 11-19-2009, 04:02 AM   #24
SL Blak Soldier

My Ride: 2001 3 Pedal M54b30
Send a message via AIM to SL Blak Soldier
wow. too hilarious.

these threads are just the same exact people saying the same stuff. why even post? lol. we all know each others thoughts on it.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:41 PM   #25
djnekkon

My Ride: MB3ci Regensburg Bav
Quote:
Originally Posted by shady3one3 View Post
Dampering isn't a word.
Words can be combined to create other units of language, such as phrases, clauses, and/or sentences.

Let's put it this way Dampering is a word without a meaning. I know is a ****ing object/device not a verb. I'm down for another comp II test teacher..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL Blak Soldier View Post
wow. too hilarious.

these threads are just the same exact people saying the same stuff. why even post? lol. we all know each others thoughts on it.
Dude!! I'm on the lowest set up right now. I took a trip on one of the crappiest highways in jersey (Route 21) I was doing 65-75-80 mph. I had 2 front/2 rear pass with me and the trunk was full with some instruments. We all combined were about 700 pounds. I took bumps and some potholes, and nothing happened to the bottom/fender or frame of my car, no rubbing and no scrapping. I'm stretched out with smaller tires than recommended, but still the ride was perfect. If you tell me that race land can do that, then I'll give you props. Meanwhile let us post our judgment base on price, since we got ****ed somehow. I will meet with some others e46 fanatics to test different coils and see the truth behind it specially raceland. I hope they really work.

I'm not bashing/just a technical comment.

This is my rear right now on 17's. Tell me if you see any damage or rubbing sign?

Last edited by djnekkon; 11-19-2009 at 10:05 PM.
djnekkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:23 PM   #26
BartenderPlease
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 328i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by djnekkon View Post
Words can be combined to create other units of language, such as phrases, clauses, and/or sentences.

Let's put it this way Dampering is a word without a meaning. I know is a ****ing object/device not a verb. I'm down for another comp II test teacher..

Dude!! I'm on the lowest set up right now. I took a trip on one of the crappiest highways in jersey (Route 21) I was doing 65-75-80 mph. I had 2 front/2 rear pass with me and the trunk was full with some instruments. We all combined were about 700 pounds. I took bumps and some potholes, and nothing happened to the bottom/fender or frame of my car, no rubbing and no scrapping. I'm stretched out with smaller tires than recommended, but still the ride was perfect. If you tell me that race land can do that, then I'll give you props. Meanwhile let us post our judgment base on price, since we got ****ed somehow. I will meet with some others e46 fanatics to test different coils and see the truth behind it specially raceland. I hope they really work.

I'm not bashing/just a technical comment.

This is my rear right now on 17's. Tell me if you see any damage or rubbing sign?
Your suspension didn't keep you from rubbing, that was all in your alignment/offset and widths/tire size/spring rate. I read a post where somebody said raceland got relatively stiff once they start to get real low. I'm sure if you put them on your dope a$$ ride and matched the wheel center-to-fender lip measurements you currently have, wouldn't rub w/ them either.

awaits: hot cams, headers, tune
AERA Performance Engine Builder
| BBS | FK | Rogue Eng | K&N | Exhaust | 330i Brakes |
| b30 manifold | ported head | FX-R/Orion V4 | LEDs |
| Alcantara | Khoalty Knob | JL Audio |

BartenderPlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:30 PM   #27
Blocked Out

My Ride: Imola 330i M-Sport
Someone mentioned not to use chinese parts on German engineered cars, right?
Interesting, think about it, are all the parts on our cars made in Germany?
There's definitely nothing wrong about racelands, again you get what you pay for, and thats what MOST people want, >> just a drop(and if they can do it for 250 as compared to 1800 bucks, why not)

====>>> E46 Coupe Airbags
IMG_1725
Blocked Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:55 PM   #28
TheRusski

My Ride: gone...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blocked Out View Post
Someone mentioned not to use chinese parts on German engineered cars, right?
Interesting, think about it, are all the parts on our cars made in Germany?
There's definitely nothing wrong about racelands, again you get what you pay for, and thats what MOST people want, >> just a drop(and if they can do it for 250 as compared to 1800 bucks, why not)
Thats the only reason why I even bought them...I could care less about the ride stiffness or anything of that sort
Old 11-20-2009, 12:16 AM   #29
dfjaws

My Ride: '08 E90 M3 / '02 Z3
I know GC stands behind their product for street use. So far, no one has had a really bad experience with Racelands. That doesn't mean they are safe, but that also doesn't mean they will eventually fail. It is what it is. The only thing about them that truly bothers me is their price. I also agree with Shady3one3 on what she said about the cost/profit ratio of that company. I don't see them being able to do the proper R&D and provide the necessary support to make them a good company and only charge $300 for their product.

That kind of price makes me go...

Old 07-19-2010, 10:36 PM   #30
CCR323Ci

My Ride: '00 323Ci
well i can say ive ran raceland coils on multiple other cars and have had no adverse effects. In fact, I have tracked a couple sets of these on mk3 vw's with no major issues and they felt great granted they arent as adjustable as others (i <3 weitec coils on vw's). I recently bought a set for my e46 and again no adverse issues for 7k miles.
CCR323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 10:39 PM   #31
CCR323Ci

My Ride: '00 323Ci
ps: pricetags do not always reflect the quality of a product.. if these coils were that bad they would have never received an fcc id number to massively sell off these setups.. it gets expensive to get a product sale-worthy and able to pass fcc testing.
CCR323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:51 AM   #32
j30a1

My Ride: E$^M#
This is the biggest thread I have ever seen for "not for street use" LOL.

It's simply for liability issues. The KW and Bilstein does not need this tag because they are TUV certified, which is a German certification so that they can drive those cars on the street. They would obviously need to spend money on this considering they are a german manufacturer. Any aftermarket modification needs to be accepted through TUV, because being caught without it, apparently will be a huge no no.
It's not that hard to get it certified, it just costs a lot of money.

The main reason why they put on the tag that says not for street use is because it is the easiest way to sell around the world without any kind of certification. There are many times when a product is bought and end user would try to return it because it is illegal in their country. A good example would be exhaust, there are many catback exhausts but most of them will say not for street use, but its not because its not good enough for the street, but many times it is illegal, and they dont want to have to cater to all the different rules in different areas.

Now that being said, I would rather save my money and drive on blown shocks.

Last edited by j30a1; 07-20-2010 at 10:52 AM.
j30a1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:00 AM   #33
blablac

My Ride: 240sx
somehow I doubt that oem springs + shocks actually cost bmw more than $250 per car. But that's just my take on it
blablac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:22 AM   #34
j30a1

^ I dont understand.
material wise probably not, and BMW buys it in huge bulk so their cost prob isnt that much, but if your trying to prove a point with that comment (don't know what point you're trying to make).... that's retarded.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:44 AM   #35
blablac

My Ride: 240sx
Quote:
Originally Posted by j30a1 View Post
^ I dont understand.
material wise probably not, and BMW buys it in huge bulk so their cost prob isnt that much, but if your trying to prove a point with that comment (don't know what point you're trying to make).... that's retarded.
o common. How many people do you think are making money off the FK coilover or the oem setup?

The company manufacturing the springs
The company reselling the springs
The company manufacturing the shocks
The company reselling the shocks
The company manufacturing the body
The company that designed the setup (they are also probably the ones putting it all together)
The company exporting them, shipping them
The reseller

Now you grab a coil over design that is known to fit (FK for example), buy a plane ticket to China, spend two weeks there reverse engineering the thing at some factory, and make a 2000 unit batch. Sell direct on Ebay.

You just cut most of your cost and you got a cheap coil-over setup that will work just fine.

Its not like FK coilovers come with Koni shocks and Swift springs... They come with cheap shocks, cheap springs, and are made with cost in mind. Doesn't sound very different from the Chinese stuff to me.
blablac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 12:11 PM   #36
j30a1

I dont understand.
so are you arguing for or against chinese coils.
Or are you just giving us info. I will retract my comment if you are just giving us info. I was under the impression that you were trying to defend the the chinese products by saying chinese products are comparable with OEM BMW products, because of the material costs.