E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Coupe Rear Window Rattle Fix DIY (pics)

8K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  I8UrCat 
#1 ·
Hey guys.

When ever it's warm I drive with my rear windows open (coupe) and they used to rattle with the bumps in the road. It finally got to me enough to look at it and it turned out to be a really simple fix and needed only the screw driver from the boot and a little masking tape (painters tape).

Step 1:

Open the rattling window as far as it will go and look at the little rod that pushes it open. Where it attaches to the window there is a little plastic cone that covers it.

Spin this cone around (it should turn freely or with some gentle encouragement) and there is a little cut out section where you can squeeze the screw driver in and just pop the cone off.

Now, the rod that comes out of the seat to move the window clips to the plastic mounting on the window. You have to pull the rod to the rear of the car and with very little effort it will just pop out. If this clip becomes loose once the window is open the play will cause the glass to rattle. When it is shut the pressure applied to hold it closed keeps the glass still. I wrapped two layers of masking tape around the little ball on the end of the rod and popped it back in very snug.

Once this is done pull the cone back over the clip and click it back in place.

Now go find a bumpy road and go for a drive. No more rattle from the rear window/s!!!

Hope this helps someone out, I know it used to really bug me and I thought it was going to be an expensive fix... HA!!!

Scott.

See less See more
#4 ·
I just fixed this on the weekend, but I replaced the rubber o-ring that was missing on mine. The plastic strut uses 2x ~5mm (ID) 9mm (OD) o-rings per end to keep it snug in its sockets. It's no harder to fix this problem properly than to do a temp "fix". I should have taken pics when I did it, though I could easily take the strut out and take pics with the o-rings and measurements.

#5 ·
Here's the strut with the 2 o-rings per end:

Stock o-rings measure 6.25mm ID x 1.75mm thick, 9.75mm OD. The o-ring I used is 5mm ID x 2.00mm thick, but stretched into the groove it expands to 9.75mm and is a perfect fit. The groove is 6.5mm so it's not much of a stretch at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.