E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2009, 04:42 PM   #1
brandonpburns

My Ride: 2000 e46
Several issues.....all related??

hey guys...this will be my first post so have a little mercy...i have several symptoms that i think may be related to one issue based on the research i've done so far.....i picked up a 2000 323ci with 134k miles..it ran fine until a few days ago when my oil light came on on startup (i've since read that this is normal)..but i killed the car and added about 1/2 qt of oil...started it back up and whie smoke started to come out of the exhaust..last a few seconds then quit. i chose not to drive the car...

the next day i started the car...no smoke..ran fine...drove it 32 miles to work in traffic..no overheating..no issues...when i went to leave work..the car wouldnt start...it would start to turn over then stop..like "errr" then dead..acted like a low/dead battery...i did this several times then the car started normally...not barely like a low battery start would be..but normal...anyways..when it started it smoked again for a few seconds and idled kinda rough..i drove off and by the time it warmed up it ran fine with no smoke..

this morning...i started the car and it had white smoke with a pretty rough idle...check engine came on immediately (misfire i'm sure) ..i drove the car with the rough idle..but again..the smoke went away and the idle smoothed out

i've noticed that this only happens on cold starts..for instance if i drive..warm it up..then kill it and crank it..it cranks fine with no smoke and no issues...i cant tell if the smoke is oil or coolant..it is kinda faint white but has no smell really..based on the searching ive done..i'm leaning torwards a failed CCV...but if thats the case..i'm curious why it would only happen on cold starts...and what changes with clogged hoses or the ccv valve once the car is hot that allows it to run normally?

any input you guys can give would be very appreciated...i dont know much about these engines as this is my first BMW. i've been searching for 3 days since it initially happened and have bounced from CCV to head gasket to VANOS..but i thought i would post my exact situation to see what help you can provide

my next steps are to scan it and see my codes... start it cold, then pull the spark plugs to see if they are wet...ie blown head gasket...and to pull the valve cover to CCV hose to see if its clogged...by then i'm hoping i have some input from this post

thanks again everyone

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:14 PM   #2
brandonpburns

after 43 views...nobody?

UPDATE: i pulled the ccv hose from the valve cover and it was full of yellow gunk..i'm 99% sure CCV is my problem..i'd just like a little confirmation if anyone agrees..

i'm also still curious how this impacts starting...if it does
Old 11-11-2009, 08:11 PM   #3
Rajaie

My Ride: 528i 06/00
Inspect the coolant at the coolant expansion tank. Look for oil. Inspect the oil at the oil filter canister. Look for mixed in coolant.

Here is a test for the CCV.
At warm idle, place small plastic freezer storage bag on its side over the oil fill hole. If the bag sits on top or gets slightly sucked in, ~1", the valve is good. If the bag gets significantly sucked in the hole the valve is stuck open and bad.
With the engine off and cold, carefully remove the hose at the valve cover front corner. Blow hard into the hole. You should hear oil bubbling in the oil pan. If you don't hear the bubbling the top or bottom hose is likely cracked. The bottom hose often breaks just below the valve connection. There can also be cracks in the other two hoses.
Rajaie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 08:26 PM   #4
cheech320

My Ride: Is TiAg
White smoke usually means burning coolant but in your case I am completely stumpped. Do the ccv test and let us know what you find.

Photobucket
cheech320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 05:43 PM   #5
brandonpburns

UPDATE: i did the above mentioned CCV tests and failed both...so went to BMW of Dallas and picked up the ccv and hoses. Did the CCV last night it cranked with no smoke and no more rough idle. One issue though...after 30 or 40 miles i noticed it idling kinda rough at stop signs...not hugely wavering rpms but i could feel a little roughness...some stops it did it and some didnt...i'm guessing its unmetered air? maybe i didnt get all of the intake clamps tight enough or didnt tighten DISA screws enough? i saw the DIY where they put silicone on the DISA...i'm assuming this is to address the same issue of unmetered air?
Old 11-15-2009, 08:25 PM   #6
brandonpburns

alllllright...took disa off...o-ring looked fine...cleaned the iCV...put everything back together..now the car idles great..but is smoking out of exhaust...similiar to smoke before CCV replacement but this smoke doesnt go away after a few seconds.....i really really hope not head gasket...and just as an argument against that...theres no loss in power or misfires
Old 11-15-2009, 09:09 PM   #7
Xeek

My Ride: 2000 BMW 328Ci
Do you watch it idle? Start the car when cold. If the car's RPM drops then rises back every so often, you also probably have bad Orings in your VANOS. Your model car is affect by these symptoms (99-00).
Sometimes your car will do this jolt really bad -- you will get a misfire, the computer will then shut off that cyl. When that happens your car will run extremely rough. When the car warms up and the computer thinks everything is ok - car returns to normal, all cyls fire.

I had this exact scenario happen to me a month ago -- I knew it was my vanos. The orings were very bad off.

This is not a hard or expensive repair. You can diagnose it by disconnecting the exhaust side of the vanos (electrical connector). When you do that - the idle problems go away.
Old 11-15-2009, 09:25 PM   #8
brandonpburns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeek View Post
Do you watch it idle? Start the car when cold. If the car's RPM drops then rises back every so often, you also probably have bad Orings in your VANOS. Your model car is affect by these symptoms (99-00).
Sometimes your car will do this jolt really bad -- you will get a misfire, the computer will then shut off that cyl. When that happens your car will run extremely rough. When the car warms up and the computer thinks everything is ok - car returns to normal, all cyls fire.

I had this exact scenario happen to me a month ago -- I knew it was my vanos. The orings were very bad off.

This is not a hard or expensive repair. You can diagnose it by disconnecting the exhaust side of the vanos (electrical connector). When you do that - the idle problems go away.
thanks but this sounds like you're talking about rough idle? i added later that i cleaned the ICV....i cranked the car and it idled rough then stalled...i cranked it again..it idled rough again so i killed it before it stalled....cranked it one more time and it idled smooth but started smoking again
Old 11-15-2009, 09:43 PM   #9
brandonpburns

oh i also should mention that i believe the rough idle on the first couple of starts after ICV cleaning could be related to the "non-flammable" cleaner i used on the ICV
Old 11-17-2009, 08:12 PM   #10
brandonpburns

doesnt look like anyone cares much, but just in case anyone finds this thread i wanted to post the update...i drove the car to a friends and when i got there it was running smooth with no smoke...so im thinking that rough idle/smoke right after cleaning the icv was from the non flammable cleaner i used on it..not certain on it..but i dont have anything else to add unless it happens again
Old 07-20-2010, 05:10 PM   #11
phugu

My Ride: 2002 325i Wagon
I had the smoke issue as well and noticed I was losing coolant. One of the causes was I changed the oil using a different weight (10-30) instead of the recommended (5-30), which is another story.

I immediately changed the oil again to the recommended weight. It smoked for a few more days, but then went away. I think the heavier oil picked up some extra dirt and gummed up the CCV until it was all burned off.

I still have rough idle and leaking coolant somewhere but the smoke issue is gone. So I concur that the foreign chemicals produced the smoke.
phugu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ccv, gasket, oil, smoke, white