E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2010, 02:09 PM   #1
Ineil

My Ride: 2001 M3
Rear end squirrelly with med to hard acceleration

Can not find anything at the rear that seems out of place, loose or missing.....any ideas? I have recently lost my DSC functionality.

2001 M3

New Car
2012 Roush Stage 3 Mustang
Ineil is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-02-2010, 03:32 PM   #2
HP Autowerks
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: E36 M3
Rear trailing arm bushings most likely.
HP Autowerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 03:50 PM   #3
Ineil

I just replaced with Rogue Engineering RTABs about 5k miles ago, but I will check them.

New Car
Old 07-02-2010, 05:02 PM   #4
Minnoe07

My Ride: 2004 BMW 330Ci
If you recently had your RTAB's replaced, did you go get an alignment? If not, that is the reason why. Your alignment is off and you need to get it realigned. The trailing arms that you remove to replace the RTAB's are what you adjust to correct the alignment. It is precise and if you did not put it back EXACTLY where you pulled it off, your alignment will be off.

2004 330Ci 6 Speed; UUC Sway Bars; Powerflex RTAB's and FCAB's; KW V2 Coilovers; 3.38 OS Giken LSD
Z4 Finned Diff Cover; Headers; M-Tech II Rear Bumper and CF Diffusor; CF Trunk; CSL Front Bumper
M3 CF Hood; DICE I-Pod Kit; JTD Rear Shock Mounts; UUC Front Strut Bar; O2 Simulators
ESS TS2 Twin Screw Supercharger

Minnoe07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 06:22 PM   #5
Ineil

That was 5k miles ago, and I got a four wheel alignment when I had new shocks, struts and springs installed about 6 -7 months ago. This issue just started a few weeks ago.

New Car
Old 07-05-2010, 03:25 PM   #6
Ineil

I took a real good look at it this afternoon, and nothing obvious. There does seem to be a little leak where the pasenger side drive axle connects to the differential. Everything seems to be tight and solid. Turning left and breaking makes a strange gringing or scraping noise. Could it be the drive axle? How do I tell?

New Car
Old 07-05-2010, 03:34 PM   #7
Nachos23

My Ride: 2004 330Xi
Send a message via MSN to Nachos23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineil View Post
I took a real good look at it this afternoon, and nothing obvious. There does seem to be a little leak where the pasenger side drive axle connects to the differential. Everything seems to be tight and solid. Turning left and breaking makes a strange gringing or scraping noise. Could it be the drive axle? How do I tell?
Turning left makes grinding from rear? How do CV boots look? Torn, or any signs of leakage around boots....You mention leak @ diff, anywhere else?

Any chance of wheel rubbing?

Build thread started.

Nachos23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 03:38 PM   #8
Ineil

I checked the boots, they looked fine, no tears or leakage. It dosn't sound like rubbing, it sounds more like metal.

New Car
Old 07-05-2010, 03:48 PM   #9
Ineil

Could it be the wheel bearing?

New Car
Old 07-07-2010, 08:56 PM   #10
Ineil

I found the noise is coming from the front, I think I have either a loose or cracked break pad. I am more concerned about the loose rear. I am going to check the axle shafts this weekend to see how much movement there is. Checked everything this weekend and everything looks good, wheel bearings were fine, now for the axle shafts.

New Car
Old 07-22-2010, 06:54 PM   #11
Ineil

Well the problem has been found. I am not sure why I did not find it, but Tischer BMW has a free inspection offer and they found the right rear wheel bearing is shot. It is real bad. Thaey want $1,130.00 to replace......too much?

New Car