E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Car Care & Detailing

Car Care & Detailing
Get detailing answers and tips here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 38 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 06-26-2010, 06:39 AM   #3021
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
This may have been asked already...but does claying your car and using a detailer as a lube remove all of the wax and sealant?
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 08:13 AM   #3022
danwilz

My Ride: E46 M3 Vert 2012 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
This may have been asked already...but does claying your car and using a detailer as a lube remove all of the wax and sealant?
Read page 1 it's all there
Old 06-26-2010, 01:46 PM   #3023
bigjae1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by danwilz View Post
Read page 1 it's all there
I did read it...no where does it answer my specific question.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:43 AM   #3024
Greg@DetailedImage.com
Clean Shine Protect Expert

My Ride: is clean & protected
Quote:
A clay bar is not designed to strip off all the protection but it certainly can and will remove sealant and wax that is not tightly bonded to the paint. So a clay bar can remove the sealant and wax but it certainly may not remove all of it. I try to use a clay bar during a full detail to avoid this issue when possible.
Greg@DetailedImage.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 09:03 PM   #3025
Tdaz250

My Ride: 07' 328i
Hey i got a question. So my mom's 650i has chrome aftermarket wheels at least i think there chrome theres not really a convenient way to wash the back/inside of the wheel(so when she or i wash it the outside looks good but the inside still has a bunch of brakedust...is there some kind of product to just spray on/all around and just hose off?

I picked up some mothers spray stuff that i saw advertised on a couple places just to try it out(havent tried it).

Anyway i'd just see if you have a recommend. Thanks

Last edited by Tdaz250; 06-27-2010 at 09:53 PM.
Tdaz250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 03:10 PM   #3026
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

My Ride: My wife
Hi Greg! I'm sure that this has been covered somewhere in the 76 pages and 3,025 posts, but I have no Idea how to search to narrow this down.

What are the steps for the proper care of cleaning the leather interior (specifically seats), and has your product recommendation changed at all from 2005 when you recommended Pristine Clean?

I'm just asking about routine cleaning, not deep down cleaning or target specific areas. Thanks!

Last edited by Serbonze; 06-28-2010 at 03:12 PM.
Serbonze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 05:53 PM   #3027
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdaz250 View Post
Hey i got a question. So my mom's 650i has chrome aftermarket wheels at least i think there chrome theres not really a convenient way to wash the back/inside of the wheel(so when she or i wash it the outside looks good but the inside still has a bunch of brakedust...is there some kind of product to just spray on/all around and just hose off?

I picked up some mothers spray stuff that i saw advertised on a couple places just to try it out(havent tried it).

Anyway i'd just see if you have a recommend. Thanks
I apologize for the slow response, we've been crazy busy! A good cleaner and a good brush should be able to remove most of the loose build ups. You'll want to use a safe cleaner like the P21S Gel Wheel Cleaner or Chemical Guys Diablo Gel Rim and Wheel Cleaner. Both are pH netural and totally safe on those wheels. Since they are gels they will do a little bit better job of staying where you spray it and break up those hard to reach build ups. I would then agitate the area with a DI Accessories E-Z Detail Brush. If the build ups are really old and stubborn you may need to polish them. A good metal polish like the Optimum (OPT) Metal Polish and a soft cloth would be ideal. This will deep clean the surface and hopefully it's much easier to maintain with the routine I listed above.

Lastly protecting the wheels with a sealant would also be a huge help. You can use a sealant just like you use on your paint or a wheel specific product like the Poorboy's World Wheel Sealant. It will help repel build ups and make future cleanings so much easier.

We have a few wheel and tire care kits if interested:
DI Packages Wheel and Tire Basic Kit
DI Packages Wheel and Tire Starter Kit
DI Packages Wheel and Tire Ultimate Kit

Let me know if you have any questions!
Old 07-01-2010, 05:56 PM   #3028
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbonze View Post
Hi Greg! I'm sure that this has been covered somewhere in the 76 pages and 3,025 posts, but I have no Idea how to search to narrow this down.

What are the steps for the proper care of cleaning the leather interior (specifically seats), and has your product recommendation changed at all from 2005 when you recommended Pristine Clean?

I'm just asking about routine cleaning, not deep down cleaning or target specific areas. Thanks!
For detailed instructions on leather care check out our leather care section of our detailing guide. I do still highly recommend the Leatherique Prestine Clean and Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil. It's a great combination that helps new and old leather. If your leather is newer or in great condition you can use less product and use it less frequently. If you want a quick one step process the Einszett 1Z Lederpflege Leather Care or Poorboy's World Leather Stuff. If you have any questions after reading that please let me know.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:57 PM   #3029
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

My Ride: My wife
Thanks Greg. Just placed my order.
Old 07-04-2010, 05:42 AM   #3030
bigjae1976

Chemical Guys...Bare Bones

Do I need to dilute or spray on full strength?
Old 07-05-2010, 06:35 PM   #3031
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Quote:
Do I need to dilute or spray on full strength?
It can be used at full strength or dilute it for more value. Both options will work just fine, possibly test both to see which you like better.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:23 AM   #3032
Surfrider

My Ride: BMW 325i
What do you recommend to polish OEM rims? The just refinished them and I want to polish them to a smooth shiny finish.
Surfrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 06:20 PM   #3033
robt_sf

My Ride: 2003 330Ci
Hi Greg,

Is this what would be referred to as "holograms"? I used a rotary buffer on the hood of the car to remove spider webs in the finish. I used 3M's swirl remover with a soft foam pad on a rotary buffer @ 1400-1500 rpm. The spider webs came out maybe 80%, and the paint looked great. I put a coat of Meguire's show car polish, and then two coats of carnuba on top and it looked and felt great. After the first carwash the truth seems to be revealed that marks were left.

I'm planning on buying some new pads and some additional polish, but want your reccomendations on what to use. I came across the Poorboy's SSR 2 & 3, and wanted to know if I should plan on being that agressive to get rid of the holograms. Then I also found the Blackhole product, which I've read some pretty good things about. Finally, what do you reccomend as for pads for each one of the products. I'm planning on buying the lake county 5.5 pad driver, and pads to go with it.

BEFORE

E46 001

AFTER POLISH

E46 006
E46 005

AFTER CAR WASH

E46 011
E46 012

robt_sf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:44 AM   #3034
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfrider View Post
What do you recommend to polish OEM rims? The just refinished them and I want to polish them to a smooth shiny finish.
I generally just recommend a quality metal polish and then to protect them with a sealant. The Optimum (OPT) Metal Polish is a quality polish that is easy to use. It works great on both bare metals and clear coated metals. To then protect the wheels you can use a quality sealant just like you would use on your paint. If you want a wheel specific product try the Poorboy's World Wheel Sealant. It makes future cleanings much easier while preserving the wheels in like new condition.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:57 AM   #3035
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by robt_sf View Post
Hi Greg,

Is this what would be referred to as "holograms"? I used a rotary buffer on the hood of the car to remove spider webs in the finish. I used 3M's swirl remover with a soft foam pad on a rotary buffer @ 1400-1500 rpm. The spider webs came out maybe 80%, and the paint looked great. I put a coat of Meguire's show car polish, and then two coats of carnuba on top and it looked and felt great. After the first carwash the truth seems to be revealed that marks were left.

I'm planning on buying some new pads and some additional polish, but want your reccomendations on what to use. I came across the Poorboy's SSR 2 & 3, and wanted to know if I should plan on being that agressive to get rid of the holograms. Then I also found the Blackhole product, which I've read some pretty good things about. Finally, what do you reccomend as for pads for each one of the products. I'm planning on buying the lake county 5.5 pad driver, and pads to go with it.
It does appear there was too much heat on the surface and the buffer left some haze on the surface. My suggestion would be to drop down to the 5.5" or 4" pads. Remember with rotary buffers the larger the pad the more speed/heat is generated. With either option you will need to get the correct backing plate (Lake Country Rotary Backing Plate for 4 Inch Pads or Lake Country Rotary Hook & Loop 5" Backing Plate). I would also suggest starting at a lower speed 1000RPMs - 1200RPMs may be a better starting point for you. They will still generate plenty of power to polish the surface. Try one of the following combos to correct the surface:

Option #1
Meguiar's Ultra-Cut Compound M105 with a Lake Country Orange Light Cutting Pad
followed by the Meguiar's Ultra Finishing Polish M205 with a Lake Country White Polishing Pad

Option # 2
Menzerna Super Intensive Polish PO83 with a Lake Country Orange Light Cutting Pad
followed by the Menzerna PO106FA Nano Polish (Super Finish) with a Lake Country White Polishing Pad

Both option should restore the surface to be optically clear and very glossy again. I also HIGHLY recommend you pick up the Brinkmann Maxfire Dual Xenon Swirl Finder Spotlight which is on sale this month. It will help you see the swirls and hazing that can't usually be seen with out direct sunlight or powerful halogen lights. If you have any other questions please let me know.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:58 AM   #3036
Art Bimmer

My Ride: 2004 E46 Coupe
Greg, What's the best product to clean headliners, and pillars?
Old 07-22-2010, 07:47 PM   #3037
cnotesdip

My Ride: 330ci
hey i just got my car painted, how long till i get it polished
cnotesdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:27 AM   #3038
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Bimmer View Post
Greg, What's the best product to clean headliners, and pillars?
My favorite cleaning product for those areas plus the dashboard, doors, carpets, etc. is the 303 Cleaner & Spot Remover. It's very gentle yet highly effective. For fabrics spray the area and use a brush to help work the product in for difficult stains. If you have any questions please let me know.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:29 AM   #3039
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnotesdip View Post
hey i just got my car painted, how long till i get it polished
Usually you can polish it within a few days. However you want to wait 30 - 90 days typically before you use any product with sealant or wax in it. If you have any questions please let me know or consult the body shop that did the work.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:55 AM   #3040
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Guys I'm going to be on a short vacation through Sunday. If you need help right away feel free to e-mail me and they will be forwarded to my business partner George. If you post a message or leave me a PM I'll try to get to it as soon as I can on Sunday. Take care!