E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 41 votes, 4.80 average.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:54 PM   #381
carcus

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by opey View Post
anyone?
Try un-checking the box under where you select the file folder for the IGo.

You will see the select file, then there is a box under it....if I remember I think it says start without finding file or something like that.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:57 PM   #382
jryguyi

My Ride: e46
Did anyone else get this extra fuse? It has green and purple wires coming out of both ends. It says Filter and Fuse Box on it. Not sure what its for.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:48 PM   #383
opey

My Ride: 04 M3 coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by jryguyi View Post
Did anyone else get this extra fuse? It has green and purple wires coming out of both ends. It says Filter and Fuse Box on it. Not sure what its for.

yes its the LOC aka noise filter... ur supposed to splice it into the harness to the same color wires if u have noise/static
opey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:01 PM   #384
jryguyi

Thanks, just got the same info on the Dynavin Forums. The only noise i get is a hum (for a second) when the iPod is changing songs. I do get static on the radio when my car is in motion, but i have the wrong antenna adapter. I think i will install tomorrow just to be on the safe side.

Cant hurt right?
Old 07-22-2010, 08:05 PM   #385
opey

My Ride: 04 M3 coupe
Quote:
Thanks, just got the same info on the Dynavin Forums. The only noise i get is a hum (for a second) when the iPod is changing songs. I do get static on the radio when my car is in motion, but i have the wrong antenna adapter. I think i will install tomorrow just to be on the safe side.

Cant hurt right?
do cd/ipod come thru without noise? i would think if u dont have any noise there, then dont bother installing. its extra work, extra wires that will be cut and spliced, and an extra box to try to fit back in the dash. i didnt install it with mine yet, but i havent tried any cd's yet to see how the sound really is
opey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:13 PM   #386
jryguyi

If by noise you mean bleed through, then no, i dont have any bleed through. So perhaps i wont install then.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:27 PM   #387
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
if you dont have any noise, dont install it. It is not a filter, it is more like a resistor.....it reduces the output of the headunit to better match the factory amp. If you dont notice any nasty noises and everything sounds fine, leave it alone. If you are getting a hum when you change songs....well....if it bothers you install the LOC, there should be no noise on anything.

Ryan, I had a 40-vw10 on my shelf, that is definitely NOT the right adapter for the antenna.....as far as I can tell all of my books are wrong, they say that you dont need a powered antenna adapter but obviously you do, maybe put up a new post and see if we can get anybody who can definitively say what the correct adapter is......I cant believe this issue is 8 years old and I cant find a single post that has the correct part number on it!

LATEST DYNAVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1044105
DYNAVIN FAQ:http://www.jandtdistributing.com/pages/faq-links
///AVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1015704
TO BUY http://jandtdistributing.com

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 07-22-2010 at 08:32 PM.
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:37 PM   #388
jryguyi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb325@DynavinSolutions View Post
if you dont have any noise, dont install it. It is not a filter, it is more like a resistor.....it reduces the output of the headunit to better match the factory amp. If you dont notice any nasty noises and everything sounds fine, leave it alone. If you are getting a hum when you change songs....well....if it bothers you install the LOC, there should be no noise on anything.

Ryan, I had a 40-vw10 on my shelf, that is definitely NOT the right adapter for the antenna.....as far as I can tell all of my books are wrong, they say that you dont need a powered antenna adapter but obviously you do, maybe put up a new post and see if we can get anybody who can definitively say what the correct adapter is......I cant believe this issue is 8 years old and I cant find a single post that has the correct part number on it!
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...84&postcount=8
Old 07-22-2010, 09:18 PM   #389
carcus

Hey Jeff, I was reading the Dynavin board and looks like they made 2 different units with the TV tuners....one was digital and one was analog. How do you find out if yours is one with the built in digital TV tuner or if it has the analog tuner?

I was messing with mine last night, was set from the factory to PAL, so I set it to NTSC for the US. From what it sounds like I should be able to find out if it is digital or analog on the TV setting screen. Can you confirm that?
Old 07-22-2010, 09:58 PM   #390
J&T Distributing

Dynavin does not offer a digital tuner that works with the US DVB system, every country is different, its analog only for us for now.

Ryan.....hhmmmm....looks like 40-vw53 again, thats what i originaly thought...we need confirmation

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 07-22-2010 at 10:01 PM.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:48 PM   #391
carcus

Quote:
Dynavin does not offer a digital tuner that works with the US DVB system, every country is different, its analog only for us for now.

Ryan.....hhmmmm....looks like 40-vw53 again, thats what i originaly thought...we need confirmation
Thanks again Jeff Got confused with seeing the posts from the guys in Europe with the digital tuners. I still think that in the US, an analog antenna will get a few channels....even though we swapped over to digital. Have you experimented with one on the bench yet?

Also, when pulling my Dynavin out tomorrow, going to install the steering wheel IR controller I forgot to the first time. Like you said...it sucks pushing all the wires back in. I wish Dynavin would take the AV and vid cables out of being built in so for people who have none of the amp/extra stuff could just unplug it. More room for an easier install. My tip is to stuff most of the stuff in the open HVAC vents while you are pushing it in, the other wires and stuff to the left.

But I digress, as far as the IR steering wheel control box....first install I plugged in the smaller harness into the rear of the stereo. I imagine that goes into the IR steering wheel control and then the headphone style plug from that goes into the IR port....can you take a pic of that?

Also, from the Dynavin board, I think the OEM steering wheel controls still have few bugs to work out with the included Dynavin control.

I love this system but want to make it better in the future. Anything I can do to help you out with the V3 when I take it back out tomorrow, let me know. I can take pics of anything that can help for you and other members.

Granted....my new re-install for the steering wheel controls will go on later tomorrow and will be attempting to use a 64GB thumb drive filled with MP3 files to see if the Dynavin works with a thumb drive over 32GB....and will see how many folders it will read off the thumb drive. Test in progress.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:56 PM   #392
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
Jeff, how does the analog tuner work? Do you just install an antenna somewhere and hope for the best?

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Wrapping an E46 in Vinyl : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=bronze
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 12:00 AM   #393
fgin

My Ride: e46 facelift
carcus, Pls give us a comprehensive update on the steering controls. There seems to be a lack of reviews on how good/bad it is.

How is the dynavin experience so far? What if any major/minor niggles?

Thanks and have a nice weekend playing with it
fgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 08:03 AM   #394
jryguyi

Quote:

I ordered it, it was only $9. Ill update once it gets here and we will finally have confirmation.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:29 AM   #395
uncompiled

My Ride: G37xS & 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by fgin View Post
carcus, Pls give us a comprehensive update on the steering controls. There seems to be a lack of reviews on how good/bad it is.

How is the dynavin experience so far? What if any major/minor niggles?

Thanks and have a nice weekend playing with it
@fgin: My unit is installed with the steering wheel controls.

VOLUME BUTTONS

The volume buttons work in every mode.

TRACK BUTTONS

The track up/down buttons works fine in CD/iPod/USB mode. In radio mode, the track up/down buttons on the steering wheel do not go to your next preset station. On my unit, it seeks to the next station that comes in clear. For example, if you're on 95.5 and press the UP button, it will go to the next higher frequency that comes in clear. In Bluetooth mode, I don't think the iPhone4 supports track up/down over A2DP. That might only be available in the AVCRP Bluetooth profile.

PHONE BUTTONS

The phone answer button works. I picked up a phone call in the car the other day and it worked great. I have no idea what the R/T button does, but my car didn't come with OEM Bluetooth or Navigation, so the phone buttons never worked before I installed the Dynavin.

If there are other buttons on the steering wheel, I don't use them.

REVIEW

Overall, it's a very OEM feeling install. The only thing that I don't like is the FM radio station "seek". Again, this is a user interface issue. It's not a "problem" as much as it's a poor design choice. In every car that I've owned with steering wheel controls, the track up/down buttons always go to your next preset. However, it's not a DEALBREAKER! (Sorry, 30 Rock reference.)

If I could make a recommendation to Dynavin, it would be to change the steering wheel functionality to search presets and clean up the user interface. The FM radio preset list on the touchscreen should be much bigger. Instead of listing the radio stations in numerical order, it should display your presets as large buttons... something that is easy to press when you're in a moving car.

Last edited by uncompiled; 07-23-2010 at 09:31 AM.
uncompiled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:38 AM   #396
uncompiled

My Ride: G37xS & 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by opey View Post
ok got mine installed... but while playing around with it, ive noticed that it keeps forgetting some settings. specifically for the NAV, it forgets the the file to select for the software, and it also forgets the settings (like when i turn off the touch beep). this seems to happen when i go to the NAV and it makes me calibrate the touch screen (without me choosing to). anyone else have this happen? also it seemed to have pretty much no hiss at first, and seemed to get worse after a little while. that was just fm radio though, i havent tried a cd yet
If you go into the "Windows" setup screen, try changing some settings and then hitting the 'X' out of the window. Then go back and see if the settings are still there.

After you select the file for the NAVI feature, click 'X' to close the Window before you turn your unit off/on.

It shouldn't ask you to re-calibrate the screen... unless the unit is not saving settings at all. I'm not sure if the settings are written to flash memory or if there is a CMOS battery in the unit. However, back in the Windows CE days, almost everything was written into RAM (and not Flash memory). That means that if you cut the power to the device, it will reset back to the defaults.
uncompiled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 03:26 PM   #397
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
..Ryan, I had a 40-vw10 on my shelf, that is definitely NOT the right adapter for the antenna.....as far as I can tell all of my books are wrong, they say that you dont need a powered antenna adapter but obviously you do, maybe put up a new post and see if we can get anybody who can definitively say what the correct adapter is......I cant believe this issue is 8 years old and I cant find a single post that has the correct part number on it!
Quote:
Read. If that adapter works then you won't have to do what I did was use the bmw adapter then the Dynavin adapter. If it works you'll only have the one adapter for less cost. Look here at this post and also at my added attachment photo to show more detail of what I did.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...&postcount=634

Last edited by Alex323Ci; 07-23-2010 at 03:28 PM.
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 03:46 PM   #398
carcus

Well, just pulled the unit back out and installed the steering wheel control box that I forgot last weekend. Works like a charm. Nice thing is you can use the telephone button on the steering wheel as a mute button any time, since the unit automatically goes into mute when a call comes in. Also, note to others....do not plug the steering wheel control into the mic headphone jack by mistake....LOL, it is the other one with the RCA cables that it plugs into. Just had to share that because someone else will probably do the same thing.

Probably tomorrow I will try hooking up the 64GB thumbdrive with several MP3 music folders and see how much this Dynavin can take.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:10 PM   #399
J&T Distributing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
Read. If that adapter works then you won't have to do what I did was use the bmw adapter then the Dynavin adapter. If it works you'll only have the one adapter for less cost. Look here at this post and also at my added attachment photo to show more detail of what I did.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...&postcount=634
Alex.....so you are using the "larger" of the two antenna connections and the adapters to do it....Most of the antenna info to be found when searching seems to imply that you need to power the antenna but seems you are not, you are just using adapters, if you get good reception this way, things just got simpler. I think maybe all that powered antenna info is only relevant to those who did the oem business HU upgrade.... In this case the 40-vw10 might be the right adapter after all....

Edit: I went back and dug through the old original thread....saw your posts....saw my posts....it seems that what you have there is a pretty decent workaround that doesnt require powering the antenna.....

I looked at your setup with the two adapters....then I went to the shelf and got this....

this is it, isnt it? But all in one piece, right? Have we all been making this much harder than it really is???????

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 07-23-2010 at 04:35 PM.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:54 PM   #400
jryguyi

...im still confused i just need someone to say "order this, this and this" =)