E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-28-2010, 11:45 AM   #1
yusufm786

My Ride: 318i
Carputer Technical Questions

Hi Guys

I decided to embark on my first big DIY, so I need some help with some technical details. I want to install a carputer in my e46, to control basically everything - aircon, audio, cd-shuttle, pdc. It must be interfaceable to my steering wheel audio controls, and removeable when I sell the car. I also want to have a GPS module and rear view camera installed, together with Wifi and Bluetooth.

From my understanding, I will have to interface to the IBUS to gain control/intercept communication between the various devices. From what I have read, I think I am capable of designing my own IBUS interface, similar to this one: http://www.reslers.de/IBUS/index.html

I will install the computer system in the boot, and remove the radio and climate control systems (I'll control these via the carputer). I want to be able to view my PDC sensor distances individually on the screen something like the e60 (I think) 5 series. Also have a solid state hard drive to store music/movies with an auxilliary input somewhere near the driver (USB + 3.5mm jack). I also want to use the bluetooth as a car kit, and if possible add voice control. The GPS must allow for turn by turn navigation. If it's not too difficult, I want to read diagnostic data, and display meaningful messages (not codes) on the screen.

As far as possible, this must be a D.I.Y. i.e. I'm not going to buy a system to do this - I will build my own IBUS interface and assemble my own computer.

I need to know the following:
1. Has anyone fully reverse engineered the IBUS communication on an e46, so that I can know exactly the addresses and data formats to use to control all the OEM equipment?
2. What carputer software is good to use for all the specs listed above? Ideally I don't want to use windows xp and have to browse through the start menu depending on the function I require. There should be some sort of front-end with big buttons and must be easy to use.

Thanks
yusufm786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:25 PM   #2
Arty

My Ride: 1999 328i
To save yourself some effort, you could buy the Bmw HVAC relocation panel, which moves the AC controls to just above the ashtray. For the ibus interface you need a TH3122. For the commands, you can use navcoder to monitor the ibus. You will find that the hvac does not broadcast to the ibus. You will need inpa or SSS to stimulate the hvac and navcoder to log the diagnostic commands. You should visit mp3car to find out the best software to use. You may find most of the ibus stiff is written already. E39 uses the boardmonitor to control the hvac and the e46 is largely compatible. You will find the bezel for the LCD cost a lot of money.
Arty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 02:20 PM   #3
yusufm786

Hi

Thanks for the reply. Can you please clarify the inpa/SSS for the HVAC? If the HVAC doesn't broadcast to the IBUS, then even if I'm able to work out the codes, surely I will have to broadcast to another bus in order to execute them from a PC?
Old 07-28-2010, 04:20 PM   #4
burnhamd

My Ride: 325i 2002
INPA is the diagnostic protocol that bmw uses when programming the car and inspecting electronics. It is usually connected through the odb II connector. SSS is something that uses INPA (there are a few others).

There are a few different bus systems in the car.
here is a good document talking about the bus systems although it is for other cars.
http://www.e38.org/bussystem.pdf

You theoretically could reverse engineer the M-Bus and control the climate system but that would require a lot more work.

With reiser interface you can control I/K buses as they are technically the same but with different peripherals.
burnhamd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 10:25 AM   #5
Arty

Quote:
Originally Posted by yusufm786 View Post
Hi

Thanks for the reply. Can you please clarify the inpa/SSS for the HVAC? If the HVAC doesn't broadcast to the IBUS, then even if I'm able to work out the codes, surely I will have to broadcast to another bus in order to execute them from a PC?
HVAC doesn't broadcast to the bus. For example it won't send "I just turned on the AC" but it can take diagnostic commands from INPA "Turn on the AC".

However, the HVAC also does "It's 24C, turn down the fans" or "Move this stepper motor, stop this stepper motor here" internally, so you would need to mimic that in software. The HVAC relocation panel is only about $30 and is fairly easy to fit.

So you need INPA to mock up the commands. Search for a post entitled "BMW and INPA success" to find a guide.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:18 AM   #6
yusufm786

Hi

That makes sense. I guess then you are right Arty, it would probably would make most sense to get the relocation panel from BMW. I'm in South Africa, so I just hope the dealer doesn't rip me off - they tend to do that here :-)

burnhamd: Thanks for the link to the guide. I'll have a read through it. I want to properly understand the system before beginning the project. I also want to build the IBUS interface and be 100% sure about its use before I even buy any of the carputer's components. I'm just a bit worried about the double din bezel for the LCD - so far from the searches I've done the prices seem to be rip offs, considering it's just a piece of plastic.

One more question: Does anyone know if the e90 also uses the I-BUS i.e. if I design the system for my e46, and then decide I would prefer it in my e90, will it be easily done?
Old 07-30-2010, 09:35 AM   #7
burnhamd

It is my understanding that the e90 uses a fiberoptic bus system. It would be very difficult to implement a car computer that uses it.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:48 PM   #8
Arty

E90 is optical, via the MOST protocol.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:41 PM   #9
Another BM

My Ride: 330ci
Hey i got a carputer, but i never ventured into the ibus system as of yet.
if you got any questions, post them up and i'll try to answer the best i can.

for a frontend i used centrafuse. there is a BMW skin so it looks pretty stock.
fools everyone in my car till i tell them its a carputer, and then their eyes get all funking and ask me wtf am i talking about.
Old 07-31-2010, 04:08 AM   #10
yusufm786

Can you post some details about your carputer setup, maybe with some pics as well? I downloaded Centrafuse yesterday - still need to play with it. I want to interface it to IBUS though, to be as OEM as possible
Old 07-31-2010, 09:41 AM   #11
burnhamd

There have been several people to do similar projects. Check mp3car.com One guy even used the buttons from the oem nav to work with his computer along with some other very cool things on the ibus. I think an ideal setup would be to put the computer part in the trunk like oem and then interface it to the oem nav screen. You could put a new lcd panel in there if you wanted and upgrade the resolution and make it touch screen.
Old 07-31-2010, 03:29 PM   #12
yusufm786

Thats actually a very good idea. Thanks a lot. I'll look into it
Old 08-01-2010, 12:32 PM   #13
Another BM

My Ride: 330ci
i got a 705 lilliput touch screen
intel atom 2ghz dual core with HT
2 gb ram
Apline 75 watt 4 channel preamp
200 gb sata drive
m2 ATX 90watt power supply

i'll post some pictures up later

Last edited by Another BM; 08-01-2010 at 12:33 PM.
Another BM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:41 PM   #14
95seriesbmw

My Ride: BMW X5, BMW M3
i see this post is a little old but if your still planning on this take it from someone who has had one already, carputer is quite a bit of work and costly in the end even tho it seems cheap at first. The dynavin for e46 will likely do everything you want minus the heating controls for far less and be much more user friendly than doing a full blown car pc. Not saying a carpc isnt cool and unique but if i had to do it all over id just buy the dynavin and hvac relocation and call it a day.

Good luck on it.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:20 AM   #15
yusufm786

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95seriesbmw View Post
i see this post is a little old but if your still planning on this take it from someone who has had one already, carputer is quite a bit of work and costly in the end even tho it seems cheap at first. The dynavin for e46 will likely do everything you want minus the heating controls for far less and be much more user friendly than doing a full blown car pc. Not saying a carpc isnt cool and unique but if i had to do it all over id just buy the dynavin and hvac relocation and call it a day.

Good luck on it.
Hi

Thanks for that info - I didn't know of the existence of the dynavin, but according to the website the dynavin does look good as you say. I don't see any IBUS interfacing though, so I'm guessing there won't be steering wheel audio control/cd changer interface?

I'm doubting now whether to actually do the carputer. The e46 is aging a bit, and i'm wondering if it's really worth all the effort and investment. My primary interest actually laid in the IBUS interfacing, with the carputer just there to give purpose to the IBUS interface and make the whole system look OEM. But we'll see....
Old 12-02-2010, 06:46 AM   #16
paraklas
OEM ///Member

My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
The dynavin will give you the steering wheel controls. It's in the install diy in the soundworks section.

Still, I'd go carputer any day. Now i'm actually saving for an 8" transflective LCD install. The frame-less versions can be fitted I think
Old 12-02-2010, 10:25 AM   #17
95seriesbmw

yes 8" will fit. that pic in my sig is a lilliput 889 8" with a bezel i made. Carpc is for some but not for others. there are a lot of quirks about it. Very cool and fun while i had it but i found myself wishing the sound quality was better and didnt want to shell out a fortune to do an audison bit 1 in addition to a sound card with optical out. Also steering wheel controls arent exactly plug and play. Many of the plugins are glitchy (i was using centrafuse frontend) given they were often designed by very clever but also novice level guys. But like i said it was fun and a lot of people were blown away by it but i perfer the fabrication side of installs and not so much the technical stuff with software and all.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:54 PM   #18
paraklas
OEM ///Member

Do you have more pictures with the screen/bezel? I'd love to fit an 8" in there!
Thanks
Old 12-02-2010, 11:49 PM   #19
95seriesbmw

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/fabr...3-bmw-e46.html

heres some more info on the bezel build. Sorry bout the pix and order of them but i just get to into the work and loose intrest in taking in-progress pix.

notice the screen is bigger than the bezel and actually goes up in behind the upper trim and down into a cavity i cut into the dash beneath it. Everyone had a 7 in the e46s, so I felt the obvious desire to win. lol

no possible way to fit bigger in there without it looking ugly or until they come out with a really wide widescreen.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:37 AM   #20
paraklas
OEM ///Member

From your pictures over at mp3car, part of the screen (up/down) is covered by the bezel, this does not affect viewing area? I am considering an 8" frame-less transflective screen from Inelmatic or Xenarc, but honestly, fabricating a new bezel is not for me at this point so I'm thinking to modify the existing one (or purchasing one......... ). Regarding the controls, did you just disconnect everything? or are they tucked somewhere behind the screen?

Tags
carputer