E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.43 average. Display Modes
Old 06-24-2010, 11:42 AM   #21
gurov

My Ride: 2004 325XI Turbo
Send a message via AIM to gurov Send a message via MSN to gurov
i'm to the tuning stage now. the stock ecu is freaking out and retarding timing to 15-20 ATDC, which doesn't play well with temperatures, so i have to take over the ignition, car idles well and drives in boost insanely rich due to untuned map and 660cc injectors.

waiting on parts to take over the stock ignition coils, went to price out a new ls2 coil setup today, they quoted me $1100 for 6 coils, brackets and harness.

the turbo isn't ebay. it's an actual garrett gt3251.

here's some more pictures, not of the bmw but of past projects. the two turbos being compared are sc61 precision and gt3251 that's on the bmw now

i'm actually fine with keeping both. the sentra is the OG, so i'll always hang onto that. it's a built 2.5L 4 pot with 100 mm stroke and a 57 trim t4 compressor. all it needs now is a bigger turbo, bigger exhaust, and sequential fueling from ms3x. plus i built the damn thing in the garage, cylinder deglazing and all with the engine still in the car. so it's also holds some sentimental value.

the supra will get its share eventually, probably in the form of an entirely oversized single turbo that sounds like a jet taking off and has lots of lag and all the goodies to keep that safe, injectors, alky, fuel pumps, engine management.

i'll eventually have to yank the engine out of that car. the engine has 170k miles on it, the car itself has 270k miles. once the engine is out, i'll build it with some beefier internals.

only thing i'm in a hurry right now is getting the bmw project further, but that'll have to wait for 4-5 more days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt turbo View Post
Little off topic, but you should sell your sentra and use that cash to build the crap out of your supra.
to go even more offtopic, here's some hardware from the sentra:

crower rods + cp pistons with swaintech goldcoat on top and skirts.

stock internals, the rods bend around 16-ish psi with proper tuning, 320-350ish whp range:

another sentra i built. the block in this one was sleeved, crower rods and CP pistons with the same coat, turbo size comparisons:

one on the car is a precision sc61, the one being held is a gt3251 (this is the turbo going on the bmw, 51mm impeller)

that car was also using LS1 coil packs with firebird spark plug leads

airplane on a treadmill = lie - need airfoil speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachRc View Post
5 star worthy on just the garageful of pictures and elbow grease on the first page.

I cant wait til I can start clicking on the 2nd page though. THat loading to read the last few comments on the 1st page s killing me!!!

good luck on the ebay turbo.

this beats the airplane on the thread mill thing fo sho by like a million.

in for results!@
gurov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:54 AM   #22
kasparov_ksa

My Ride: white 330ci
good luck
Old 07-25-2010, 10:56 PM   #23
Avet4

My Ride: 2004 330i 6spd
any updates?
Avet4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 01:49 PM   #24
BMW_Matt

My Ride: Has AWD
Wow.
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 09:55 AM   #25
gurov

more updates:

car is now on a full standalone controlling fuel, spark, idle, and throttle body, there is a knock suppression module installed (J&S safeguard) in line with the standalone, so upon hearing knock, the timing is retarded independently of the standalone, this lets me tune timing on the street with a fair margin of safety. I am also controlling the stock throttle body via a small board, separate from the main ecu(based on seattle circuit design with a pic18f1330). Engine received some LS1 corvette coil packs, custom bracket to hold them, custom MSD 8.5mm plug wires, and custom harness to tie it all back to the standalone. it starts, runs, drives, idles, boosts quite nicely. currently street tuning it when I can. I am also considering replacing the transmission control module and switching to megashift with modified code to run a 5 speed automatic, i don't think the stock transmission ecu is trustworthy, and could potentially shut the trans down on me any time. Engine now runs in semisequential injection mode to help with the the 660cc injectors, the ignition coils are fired in wasted spark. Engine management is now Megasquirt3 with MS3x expansion module. I'm pulling the base ignition maps out of various BMW's downloaded bin files and XDFs people have made using TunerPro to compare them against my timing map.

I need to install an external transmission cooler and a temperature sensor to monitor the transmission temp.

gm IAT sensor:
Old 08-01-2010, 10:21 AM   #26
xixixi
Banned User

My Ride: 01 330x-xi
damn nice stuff man!!! i wanna kick it in your garage for a few months!! mega props!
xixixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 03:04 PM   #27
ritos530i

My Ride: 2004 E60 530i 6speed
Send a message via MSN to ritos530i Send a message via Yahoo to ritos530i Send a message via Skype™ to ritos530i
Great progress, I was about to send you a PM to find out how things were going and glad to see you still at it. Looking forward to a dyno/video of the car running.
Thanks for the update

530i E60 Custom Turbo/Nitrous (PSI_unknown)
ritos530i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 04:29 PM   #28
cruzr180

My Ride: 01 330xi
Very impressive!!!!
cruzr180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 06:19 PM   #29
cnotesdip

My Ride: 330ci
glad to see someone doing something that was said to be nearly impossible.
cnotesdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 12:43 PM   #30
gurov

mostly completed engine bay (no more maf)

j&s safeguard to protect engine from knock:

GPIO kit for transmission control has been ordered. (megashift)
Old 08-02-2010, 01:40 PM   #31
ritos530i

Send a message via MSN to ritos530i Send a message via Yahoo to ritos530i Send a message via Skype™ to ritos530i
So what else do you have to do to get the car running the way you want and shot some video's of the car running and dyno time.

Old 08-02-2010, 02:16 PM   #32
gurov

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritos530i View Post
So what else do you have to do to get the car running the way you want and shot some video's of the car running and dyno time.
nothing much really... i just want to ensure the stock ecu won't leave me stranded by disabling the trans, i also do not want to destroy the trans by running it in an unknown state. It appears to be in a failsafe mode where it's shifting very firm, but i bet that's designed to save the trans. The little gear icon is lit next to the D indicator on the cluster. But it shifts fine. i drive this car when i can now to the store for food and parts and such, tuning and logging. as i've said before, there won't be a dyno, perhaps until much much later.

i'll get a video next time i drive the thing, hopefully the blowoff sounds will come out with the window open.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:40 PM   #33
Studdly_Studright

My Ride: 135i
I love this project so much I still can't believe you fit it with the stock facelift bumper haha. My friend just got a mazda speed6 which is AWD and turboed. It was so fun to drive.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:45 PM   #34
ritos530i

I understand and I am so pumped you got the thing running the way you did. I know others on the is forum have been waiting as well and want to see what the kit can really do because as of yet no one has really done something like this that I am aware of. No problem if you don't do a dyno however my only point in doing one was to show the world what you done and what kind of numbers can be had so others can see if this sort of route is worth the time and money. So, yeah dyno runs, street videos, road kills and just showing how well it idles is a big plus for the whole thread. I am sure you are aware others will want to duplicate what you've done.
BTW, Do you think this setup on a Manual transmission will be fine or what if it was installed on a built motor with 6speed transmission? Can it be done and run the motor without hiccups or you are still testing and making sure all is well.
I think it's time for a phone chat lol
Great Job bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurov View Post
nothing much really... i just want to ensure the stock ecu won't leave me stranded by disabling the trans, i also do not want to destroy the trans by running it in an unknown state. It appears to be in a failsafe mode where it's shifting very firm, but i bet that's designed to save the trans. The little gear icon is lit next to the D indicator on the cluster. But it shifts fine. i drive this car when i can now to the store for food and parts and such, tuning and logging. as i've said before, there won't be a dyno, perhaps until much much later.

i'll get a video next time i drive the thing, hopefully the blowoff sounds will come out with the window open.

Old 08-02-2010, 05:55 PM   #35
cnotesdip

My Ride: 330ci
and they said it couldn't be done props
cnotesdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:59 PM   #36
nickr519

My Ride: ZX-10R, Ram 2500
no one said it can't be done just that it would take a bit of money, time, and experience that 99% of people on this forum certainly do not have or aren't willing to expend. This man, however, falls into the other 1%
'01 GSX-R600 - sold
'97 Ram 2500
'06 ZX-10R
nickr519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:20 AM   #37
gurov

Quote:
I understand and I am so pumped you got the thing running the way you did. I know others on the is forum have been waiting as well and want to see what the kit can really do because as of yet no one has really done something like this that I am aware of. No problem if you don't do a dyno however my only point in doing one was to show the world what you done and what kind of numbers can be had so others can see if this sort of route is worth the time and money. So, yeah dyno runs, street videos, road kills and just showing how well it idles is a big plus for the whole thread. I am sure you are aware others will want to duplicate what you've done.
BTW, Do you think this setup on a Manual transmission will be fine or what if it was installed on a built motor with 6speed transmission? Can it be done and run the motor without hiccups or you are still testing and making sure all is well.
I think it's time for a phone chat lol
Great Job bro
it runs the motor quite well, i've gotten it up to like... 8-9 psi on the street at like 4-5k rpm cause it's overboosting due to my poor parts selection (this is being changed, TCD manifold on the way + redoing all the exhaust when parts get here + proper real tial gate + boost control via megasquirt, i'll have pics of this during the process)

one of the issues i'm still trying to tackle is my inability to set the throttle body lower than the limp home position, this creates a stable idle at around 1200-1300 rpm, this means keeping the idle valve fully closed until i can figure out how to lower the idle (mechanical throttle conversion, or proper electronic tb control) this is simply an annoyance, and not a stopping spot, i've retarded the timing in the idle area, which lowers the idle to a reasonable level.

6 speed would def help out as far as confidence goes, so would the built engine. i plan to run 8-9 psi on this thing once i get proper control of boost (tcd + tial) and proper control of the trans (cut engine power during a shift, use lockup in the converter for boost).

as far as the management box goes, this setup can now be duplicated for under about $700 for the megasquirt3 + ms3x (once ms3x is back in stock) fully built, about half-ish that for someone who can put together a megasquirt board, but it doesn't even have to be megasquirt, it can be any management system, i just stick with megasquirt because it's what i've worked with for a while now and it's easy to get going.

if people want to duplicate this, i'll answer whatever questions anybody has.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:38 PM   #38
ritos530i

Sounds good, As you know by now I am going standalone and would love to have some sort of assistance with going this route. I see you also got rid of the stock MAF and that's been my down fall with my setup. My question is how does the car drive with no MAF? I mean do you think removing the MAF is part of what is causing some of the drive ability issues or it's something else?
My concern going to something like this is just being able to daily drive the car whether that be clear across the country or just in heavy traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurov View Post
it runs the motor quite well, i've gotten it up to like... 8-9 psi on the street at like 4-5k rpm cause it's overboosting due to my poor parts selection (this is being changed, TCD manifold on the way + redoing all the exhaust when parts get here + proper real tial gate + boost control via megasquirt, i'll have pics of this during the process)

one of the issues i'm still trying to tackle is my inability to set the throttle body lower than the limp home position, this creates a stable idle at around 1200-1300 rpm, this means keeping the idle valve fully closed until i can figure out how to lower the idle (mechanical throttle conversion, or proper electronic tb control) this is simply an annoyance, and not a stopping spot, i've retarded the timing in the idle area, which lowers the idle to a reasonable level.

6 speed would def help out as far as confidence goes, so would the built engine. i plan to run 8-9 psi on this thing once i get proper control of boost (tcd + tial) and proper control of the trans (cut engine power during a shift, use lockup in the converter for boost).

as far as the management box goes, this setup can now be duplicated for under about $700 for the megasquirt3 + ms3x (once ms3x is back in stock) fully built, about half-ish that for someone who can put together a megasquirt board, but it doesn't even have to be megasquirt, it can be any management system, i just stick with megasquirt because it's what i've worked with for a while now and it's easy to get going.

if people want to duplicate this, i'll answer whatever questions anybody has.

Old 08-03-2010, 06:19 PM   #39
gurov

Quote:
Sounds good, As you know by now I am going standalone and would love to have some sort of assistance with going this route. I see you also got rid of the stock MAF and that's been my down fall with my setup. My question is how does the car drive with no MAF? I mean do you think removing the MAF is part of what is causing some of the drive ability issues or it's something else?
My concern going to something like this is just being able to daily drive the car whether that be clear across the country or just in heavy traffic.
the maf is definitely not causing any drivability issues. it was just there in the way. later down the road i may go back to the maf once the blending code is developed more, maf for below boost and map for above boost. MAF will have a lot better time measuring the entering amounts of air for calculating fueling. whether i go back to this stock maf or some other unit still remains unknown.

maf was simply a slight restriction in the intake piping.

for now the car will be on MAP fueling (well, % baro for elevation correction, but that's a whole different topic). as far as drivability, that will take a bit long to dial in perfectly where you could stab the throttle at any speed and have it respond flawlessly, but as far as driving long distances, it shouldn't be a problem.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:10 PM   #40
jc179

My Ride: 2004-325xi,87-5000TQ
Hey

very awesome project! Glad to see it going.. wanted to ask why it wasn't possible to use the bmw coil's with mega squirt? Does the megasquirt put out a +12v signal, and the bmw coils are expecting the signal wire to be grounded, such that you'd need to build a signal inverter so to fire them? Is the stock ecu doing the tach, and vanos and nil else?

Nice indeed - btw where did you source that exhaust manifold? I've been looking for something to mount a small garette turbo I have , that manifold would be perfect!
jc179 is online now   Reply With Quote