E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-02-2010, 06:35 AM   #1
ZLAT46

My Ride: M-Sport Ci
Cant find steering wheel control harness!!!

hi guys,

my car had an aftermarked headunit installed, i am now in the process of installing the dynavin unit, ht eonly problem is i cant find the steering wheel cables/connectors as they must have been either tucked away somewere,

does anyone have any ideas how i can locate them, which side they come from? are they attaached or tapped up with another harness? i look all around and as far as i could see i cant find them

or is it possible if i took off some plastics under the steering wheel and tried to back track

i know its a dumb question but i really cant find the suckers \

thanks guys

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:28 AM   #2
Darkoz

My Ride: E46 325Ci
If I read your question correctly, you're looking for the existing factory radio harness which is behind the headunit, if so then the harness looks like the pic below.........

If it's not there then it has most probably been cut off when the aftermarket stereo was installed in which case you'll have to match and splice the loose wires into the supplied Dynavin harness adaptor.
It'll be time consuming but certainly not impossible.
Below is a pic the Dynavin harness adaptor, the square black plug with the pins in it at the bottom right of the pic......

Last edited by Darkoz; 08-02-2010 at 07:34 AM.
Darkoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 05:32 PM   #3
ZLAT46

thanks for your reply,

what im after in the actual 2 plugs that clip into the factory harness which are for the steering wheel controls? does that make sense? sorry i probably didnt explain myself properly in the original post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkoz View Post
If I read your question correctly, you're looking for the existing factory radio harness which is behind the headunit, if so then the harness looks like the pic below.........

If it's not there then it has most probably been cut off when the aftermarket stereo was installed in which case you'll have to match and splice the loose wires into the supplied Dynavin harness adaptor.
It'll be time consuming but certainly not impossible.
Below is a pic the Dynavin harness adaptor, the square black plug with the pins in it at the bottom right of the pic......

Old 08-02-2010, 05:45 PM   #4
Arty

My Ride: 1999 328i
The two 10 pin plugs are for the BMW cd changer and other stuff. The steering wheel controls come via the ibus which is on the 17 pin plug. Google Images for BMW 17 pin to see what connections go where.

Sent from my phone.
Arty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 05:53 PM   #5
ZLAT46

so the 2 10pin connectors have nothing to do with the steering controls?

theres the 2 plugs i cant find, the only thing is i installed the after market unit years ago, and some some reason think those 2 plugs were there and now for the life of me cant find them anywere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arty View Post
The two 10 pin plugs are for the BMW cd changer and other stuff. The steering wheel controls come via the ibus which is on the 17 pin plug. Google Images for BMW 17 pin to see what connections go where.

Sent from my phone.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:58 PM   #6
ZLAT46

the 2 10 pin plugs in saying are the ipod and cd changer?

my car never came with a stacker, or anything so would i have these connections?

Free Image Hosting
Old 08-02-2010, 06:02 PM   #7
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to JonJon
Anyone have the part number for the control board on the wheel?

It's shorting out and turning the volume up when I turn

Lol

DIY. On how to replace it?

Tia

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
I agree with JonJon.
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:19 PM   #8
Darkoz

As Arty mentioned the steering wheel controls come via the factory harness shown in your pic above and the pic I posted earlier, they are not seperate plugs.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:27 PM   #9
ZLAT46

So when you hoocked up your dynavin, did you use those 2 10pin plugs for anything? do they connect up to anything?

Quote:
As Arty mentioned the steering wheel controls come via the factory harness shown in your pic above and the pic I posted earlier, they are not seperate plugs.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:30 PM   #10
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLAT46 View Post
So when you hoocked up your dynavin, did you use those 2 10pin plugs for anything? do they connect up to anything?
no, they are not used

LATEST DYNAVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1044105
DYNAVIN FAQ:http://www.jandtdistributing.com/pages/faq-links
///AVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1015704
TO BUY http://jandtdistributing.com
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 12:23 AM   #11
ZLAT46

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb325@DynavinSolutions View Post
no, they are not used
great, answers my question perfectly

thanks for that, appreciate it
Old 08-03-2010, 02:33 AM   #12
Arty

My Ride: 1999 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJon View Post
Anyone have the part number for the control board on the wheel?

It's shorting out and turning the volume up when I turn

Lol

DIY. On how to replace it?

Tia
There is no direct connection between the button on the wheel and the stereo. The button data is converted into iBus commands and sent over the iBus, along with the cruise and other buttons. So if you are having problems you need to replace the buttons on the wheel, and the part number should be available on RealOEM.
Arty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 01:30 AM   #13
ZLAT46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arty View Post
There is no direct connection between the button on the wheel and the stereo. The button data is converted into iBus commands and sent over the iBus, along with the cruise and other buttons. So if you are having problems you need to replace the buttons on the wheel, and the part number should be available on RealOEM.

Ok my dynavin is installed, my steering whel controls still don't work, everything has been connected properly via a factory harness, so it's not just clipped together, is there any fuses maybe for steering control? The thing that gets me is they worked just fine before installing the dynavin!

Hope someone can help
Old 08-12-2010, 02:10 AM   #14
Darkoz

Quote:
Ok my dynavin is installed, my steering whel controls still don't work, everything has been connected properly via a factory harness, so it's not just clipped together, is there any fuses maybe for steering control? The thing that gets me is they worked just fine before installing the dynavin!

Hope someone can help
I would bet that you forgot to connect the steering wheel control harness that came supplied with the Dynavin, its the black box with the "headphone" style mini plug at one end, it should be plugged into the "IR in" cable on the back of the Dynavin.

Old 08-12-2010, 03:39 AM   #15
ZLAT46

Quote:
I would bet that you forgot to connect the steering wheel control harness that came supplied with the Dynavin, its the black box with the "headphone" style mini plug at one end, it should be plugged into the "IR in" cable on the back of the Dynavin.

i pluged the headphone style jack directly into the rear of the headunit, or was that maybe ment to be for the mic??? is it an actual cable? or plug at the rear of the unit

thanks darko
Old 08-12-2010, 04:27 AM   #16
Darkoz

Quote:
i pluged the headphone style jack directly into the rear of the headunit, or was that maybe ment to be for the mic??? is it an actual cable? or plug at the rear of the unit

thanks darko
No that is for the microphone, you need to connect it to one of the black cables coming out of the Dynavin wihich is labelled IR in
Old 01-05-2013, 09:08 PM   #17
Alpine

My Ride: 2002 E46 BMW 330Ci
OK guys, I'm now at this point as well. I have a Dynavin V5 and my steering wheel controls aren't connected at all. I have the black box with the headphone style mini plug as supplied in the Dynavin box. I have plugged the headphone style mini plug into the IR IN plug but where do I connect the black box to?? I can't find any matching connection.