E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-08-2010, 11:16 AM   #1
rsilva_douglas

My Ride: 330i 2001
How to Install a subwoofer at my HK (Harman Kardon) system - 330i 2001

Dear all,

After reading as much as I could, I didn't feel confident yet to upgrade my system. My ride is a 2001 330i Sedan. My HU is "Business CD", Blaupunkt (made in Portugal in dec/2000), with no navigation, no CD changer. Currently I have HK (Harman Kardon), 10 speakers (counting the tweeters). I'm supposing I have the HK because I have an AMP on my trunk's left side and I have a switch below the glasses box (containing a SPEAKER drawing over it) that turns the HK system ON/OFF (according the manual).

I took the carpet cover out , on left side of the trunk, and I found the amplifier there. Only the amplifier. The previous owner scratched the whole amp's label sticker. So, there is no # ID on it.

I didn't access the rear cover (where so far I got) is the stock woofer/sub-woofer to see if I have subwoofer with HK sub AMP or not, but based on the quality of the sound which there is no any bass, I'm assuming there is no sub-woofer neither sub-amp on it.

When I switch the HK button ON, I did expect some gain on quality + some "spatiality" but I hear no difference between turned the switch ON or OFF.

The car is used of course, and I am the 4th owner and I do not have access to the previous changes/fix records. I just now there is no CD changer and the cable is just "cut".

Actually the sound itself works fine, perfectly, but with no bass enough. That is the reason I plan to build a system myself for it.

I plan to use the same available space at the left side of the trunk to put my sub-woofer system. My project which I'm gonna build myself, very simple actually, includes a 10" speaker, sealed box, one amplifier accepting 4 RCA IN <=> 4 OUT AMP to the speakers. I will use 2 OUTs only, convert into MONO, then plug 1 OUT (two wires) the sub-woofer box.

My questions:

1) Is the HU sound output amplified or not? I mean, how can I feed my RCA IN ways into my AMP?

2) How to feed the DC power to my AMP? Can I use the stock AMP or do I need to use a cable directly from the battery, with fuse? If yes, how to turn it ON only when the HU is ON too?

I'm sorry for the long email. Actually I do not plan to waste muuuch money at the same time I need the trunk free for my business stuff and I can't use much space from it.

Any help is very appreciated.

Thank you,

Doug.

Last edited by rsilva_douglas; 08-10-2010 at 09:53 PM.
rsilva_douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:52 AM   #2
arkadur

My Ride: E46 323CI
are you sure about the changer port? you should dig deeper. (it's covered with black foam)
about the amp. you can get a high power input amp if you dont have a rca output, or, to use a damper with any amp

about the dc supply - i dont have the HK, so im not sure about the dc cable thick. can you give more info about it?
you can test the HK amp wiring for a remote cable (to turn it on and off) with a tester lamp ( or, passing a new wire that working on the switch - from the HU connector )
Old 08-08-2010, 12:53 PM   #3
Jmanscotch

My Ride: makes my pants tight
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsilva_douglas View Post

My questions:

1) Is the HU sound output amplified or not? I mean, how can I feed my RCA IN ways into my AMP?

No, the HU does not contain a built-in amp. The audio signal leaves the HU, runs to an amp and then to your speakers. You can get a Line Output Converter (local audio shop or online) that you splice into your audio signal right before the amp in the trunk and it will "convert" that to RCA plugs where you can then jump a wire to you amp from. See this website for color codes on for left +/-, right +/- and your Remote. http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/kn...tory+system%3F

2) How to feed the DC power to my AMP? Can I use the stock AMP or do I need to use a cable directly from the battery, with fuse? If yes, how to turn it ON only when the HU is ON too?

You will need an amp powering kit with a fuse. Run the positive lead with fuse holder directly to the battery positive and the negatice cable runs from your amp to a good grounding spot on the body (inside trunk) somewhere. It will only turn on when your HU is on because you will be tapping into the factory remote wire with the Line Output Converter.

I'm sorry for the long email. Actually I do not plan to waste muuuch money at the same time I need the trunk free for my business stuff and I can't use much space from it.

Any help is very appreciated.

Thank you,

Doug.
Answers in RED above.

Feel free to PM if you have any more questions, I've done this is my car so I might be able to help if needed.

Jake
Old 08-08-2010, 01:51 PM   #4
rsilva_douglas

Thank you, Jake.

I'm gonna order a Line Output converter (that converts to RCA) and the amplifier (4x50W RMS) tomorrow morning. One more question: do you think and can get good results with an 8" or 10" speaker as sub-woofer?

The reason I question this is at home my home theater sub-woofer is 8" and it's incredible how powerful it is. As most of the mortal persons, I just wish sound into the car and not be the One at a club party. I mean, a good bass vibe. Is it possible with an 8" or 10" sub?

How is the best for my trunk? Sealed sub-woofer box or that one with the air "outlet/escape"?

Doug.

Last edited by rsilva_douglas; 08-08-2010 at 01:54 PM.
Old 08-08-2010, 06:27 PM   #5
Jmanscotch

My Ride: makes my pants tight
I have a JL Audio 12W6 (12") and it is pretty darn loud in a sealed box. For someone who wants good quality sound without shaking everything down, I'd recommend a 10" in a sealed box. A ported box will be louder but gives up quality, a sealed box isn't as loud but provides better sound.

Do you have a "Skipass" in your sedan? Our trunks are pretty well sealed agaisnt sound so some complain about the bass not reaching the cabin but with a skipass or hole where it would be, the sound is allowed to enter the cabin.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:16 PM   #6
rsilva_douglas

Jake,

Yes, my sedan has the skypass. I've been researching (Google) and I've found we can get a very good bass quality if we do the proper box, be ported or sealed. According my research, it says everything depends of the speaker Fs (Speaker's Resonant Frequency). So, it seems that for sealed enclosures we need a speaker with a Fs lower than 30hz.

I thinking to order a 10" Bravox driver, with a Fs of 30hz, and EBP of 57. It seems I have enough space over the battery cover (right side) or redoing the carpet wall at the left side. I'll make the enclosure with MDF.

Any comment is very welcome.

Doug.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:24 PM   #7
radarcontact

My Ride: 2006 330CiC/ZHP
There's an "HK" button??? My vert doesn't have any button like that...learn something new every day around this joint!
radarcontact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:40 PM   #8
rsilva_douglas

Quote:
Originally Posted by radarcontact View Post
There's an "HK" button??? My vert doesn't have any button like that...learn something new every day around this joint!
Actually there is a button with a "speaker" drawing on it. The manual says it's to turn ON/OFF the HK spatializing system. Actually I can't feel any difference turning on or off.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:01 AM   #9
rsilva_douglas

Finally is ready.

Hi guys.

I've just installed my system. Subwoofer 12" with a Line Converter (audio to RCA) and an amp (one more to serve the sub). It got simply perfect.

I bought a sealed enclosure with a 12" Bravox subwoofer, w/ a Fs of 32hz and a cheap Fosgate amplifier, wired on BRIDGE mode (MONO). I will retrofit the stuffs next week when I have time. Currently the stuffs are all visible on the flooring/carpet in the trunk. Everything is visible including the harness. So, next weekend I gonna work to retrofit everything and then send you a picture. My goal is to get everything hidden to use the whole trunk for my daily use, I mean, I don't wanna lose any kind of space because the sound upgrade.

The sound quality got much much better than I thought. I'm very satisfied.

Thanks Jake. You gave me real valuable information.

Here are the links I've used also:

http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/kn...tory+system%3F

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=735473
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=245914

The sources I've used above were for my reference only because all them had slight differences of what I really have in my sedan.

Guys, please understand I have no responsibility, no liability, no warranty for the info I'm posting here. Like the brothers, I'm just trying to share information but if anybody use the info above and something gets wrong, use the info on your own risk.

To those that have sent me all information, thank you so much. I hope to post pictures when it's done (wiring hidden, wall carpeted, etc).

Doug.

Last edited by rsilva_douglas; 08-29-2010 at 12:32 PM.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:21 PM   #10
MoneySauce

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330XI
Send a message via Yahoo to MoneySauce
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsilva_douglas View Post
Hi guys.

I've just installed my system. Subwoofer 12" with a Line Converter (audio to RCA) and an amp (one more to serve the sub). It got simply perfect.

I bought a sealed enclosure with a 12" Bravox subwoofer, w/ a Fs of 32hz and a cheap Fosgate amplifier, wired on BRIDGE mode (MONO). I will retrofit the stuffs next week when I have time. Currently the stuffs are all visible on the flooring/carpet in the trunk. Everything is visible including the harness. So, next weekend I gonna work to retrofit everything and then send you a picture. My goal is to get everything hidden to use the whole trunk for my daily use, I mean, I don't wanna lose any kind of space because the sound upgrade.

The sound quality got much much better than I thought. I'm very satisfied.

Thanks Jake. You gave me real valuable information.

Here are the links I've used also:

http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/kn...tory+system%3F

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=735473
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=245914

The sources I've used above were for my reference only because all them had slight differences of what I really have in my sedan.

Guys, please understand I have no responsibility, no liability, no warranty for the info I'm posting here. Like the brothers, I'm just trying to share information but if anybody use the info above and something gets wrong, use the info on your own risk.

To those that have sent me all information, thank you so much. I hope to post pictures when it's done (wiring hidden, wall carpeted, etc).

Doug.
Hey did you tap into the wire with you line out put coverter before or after the stock amp. Which color connector is the in /out... thanks
MoneySauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:04 PM   #11
Herbalicious

My Ride: 330ci, M3, Z06
I ended up making a system using the ski pass as part of my sub housing. Sounds excellent. Took some work but I have been to a couple shows and people are surprised at the sound quality and the size of the sub.
I had the HK system but took it out, I don't think its that good!
Herbalicious is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
harman kardon subwoofer, subwoofer sound trunk