E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-15-2010, 10:16 AM   #1
juanmurillo

My Ride: Bavarian Project
Smile Best Way to get throttle response?

What do i have to change or clean or upgrade to get a better throttle response?? I know there's quite a few things out there but what is most effective and less of a hassle. Any info would be much appreciated, Thank you guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowskateskate View Post
OH...and you didn't knock on wood.....you're in for a world of sh*t. Better be prepared to bust out the mastercard and bend over in front of a mechanic.
juanmurillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:45 AM   #2
Tangent_

My Ride: '01 330i
Depends on what you mean by "throttle response".

If you mean how quickly the engine revs when you stab the gas pedal, a lightweight flywheel will help quite a bit, and underdrive pulleys can also make a small difference.

If you mean how much the engine responds to partial throttle inputs, a Sprint Booster will do what you want. All it does is remap the throttle so instead of 50% gas pedal = 50% throttle open, it will be 50% gas pedal = 65% throttle open. It makes the car feel snappier, but does nothing for actual performance or even the speed at which the throttle operates when you smash the gas pedal.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:26 PM   #3
golf_234

My Ride: 07 C230 MT
ive heard the bimmertools update works really well.

2008 135i | Year 1 of the 1 | AW/Black Boston Leather | N54 | JB4 | Map 5 | 19" Matte Black CSLs | Comfort Access
Adaptive Xenons | Premium/Sport | Cold Weather | Brembos | Clear Bra | Auto Dim | Rain Sensor | 350 WHP
golf_234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:31 PM   #4
usernamehere
Banned

My Ride: lackbof turbos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangent_ View Post
Depends on what you mean by "throttle response".

If you mean how quickly the engine revs when you stab the gas pedal, a lightweight flywheel will help quite a bit, and underdrive pulleys can also make a small difference.

If you mean how much the engine responds to partial throttle inputs, a Sprint Booster will do what you want. All it does is remap the throttle so instead of 50% gas pedal = 50% throttle open, it will be 50% gas pedal = 65% throttle open. It makes the car feel snappier, but does nothing for actual performance or even the speed at which the throttle operates when you smash the gas pedal.
323's are cable throttle.

Cleaning out your Throttle body should help, as well as an intake system or higher flowing filter. With my flywheel, pullies, intake and shark injector, throttle response is alot better than stock.. imo..
usernamehere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:48 PM   #5
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Push down more
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:56 PM   #6
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by usernamehere View Post
323's are cable throttle.

Cleaning out your Throttle body should help, as well as an intake system or higher flowing filter. With my flywheel, pullies, intake and shark injector, throttle response is alot better than stock.. imo..
Some debate elsewhere here about whether TB with cable is cable throttle or just that the cable is 'more directly' operating a motor.

I'd say first get your car fully maintained...filters everywhere...Techron with 93 octane...a nice run on the highway.

First, though, disconnect the battery for a half an hour...that solves many issues...don't ask, just works.

If it doesn't, then take a hose and listen to problems in engine...pulley, belts, hoses hissing...look inside with mirror and good flashlight (can't beat LEDs!)

I'd say, for the least amount of money, you should fix things that are broken, keep an eye carefully on things that might, spend a lot of time here searching and reading, get car to a fit level of maintenance, and then, if you're unhappy with your car then, either sell it and get a car you want to keep, or start buying the car you want over time by modifying components...but know there are risks associated with that.

Personally, for the least amount of money and the easiest overall to maintain well and always ensure you end up with a bmw, is use mostly OE or OEM components...just be careful on critical ones...bushings, anything electronic.

Your car sounds like it needs some care is all, and you'll do far better at giving it that than anyone else...indy mechs aren't going to start telling you everything wrong with your car unless they know you trust them, otherwise, they're oriented, for good reason, to just fixing broken things.

No offense to those who strap things onto cars to get, usually, not much hp out of it, but more issues are created when folks going looking for perfect, rather than being good with the 99%!

Doug

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:58 PM   #7
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
Push down more
Pedal on the right, right?

I like disconnecting the battery better! It's not insulting and it provides sometimes needed placebo effect!

OP...just ignore this post...battery discon does do lots...resets adaptation levels in things to factory.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 01:18 PM   #8
Dreamliner330

My Ride: 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangent_ View Post
Just get the Dinan (or any other brand) ECU tune. I've tried the Sprint Booster and it was too 'hoppy.' I got the Dinan stage 2 tune for $360 (Dinan has a sale now) and it adjusts the pedal response as well.

Tune for the same price as a Sprint Booster...common sense, really.
Dreamliner330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 01:36 PM   #9
djnekkon

My Ride: MB3ci Regensburg Bav
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
Push down more
+1 or push more or push a little more or push a lot more.....that is LOL
djnekkon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
acceleration, bmw, fast, response, throttle