E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Classifieds > For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy > Wheels and Tires

Wheels and Tires
Wheels and tires for your BMW. Stock and aftermarket wheels, tires, spacers, lug bolts, center caps, etc....

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2010, 12:09 PM   #1
danwilz

My Ride: E46 M3 Vert 2012 X5
Snow tire question.

I just purchased a set of Hyperblack CSL reps, I'm going to make them my dedicated winter setup. The question is, should I go with all seasons or snow tires? I live in New York the winter's aren't terrible, but we get are fair share.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-08-2010, 12:33 PM   #2
Bios24

My Ride: 2003 M3
If you're going to use them as winter-only wheels then you may as well get winter-only tires. They're much better in the snow and have more grip as the temperature drops. Only problem is that you really can't use them when the temps are much above 50-60F. I ran some winter tires on my truck when it was 70's and raining, and they lost a lot of grip. I almost felt unsafe in the rain. They were fantastic in the cold/snow though, had more grip than the Kumho all-season's I run in the summer.
Bios24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:51 PM   #3
kyfdx

My Ride: '06 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bios24 View Post
If you're going to use them as winter-only wheels then you may as well get winter-only tires. They're much better in the snow and have more grip as the temperature drops. Only problem is that you really can't use them when the temps are much above 50-60F. I ran some winter tires on my truck when it was 70's and raining, and they lost a lot of grip. I almost felt unsafe in the rain. They were fantastic in the cold/snow though, had more grip than the Kumho all-season's I run in the summer.
Ditto...

If you want a little better handling, get V-rated snows..... No point in putting all-seasons on a 2nd set of wheels...
kyfdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:15 AM   #4
markmalin

My Ride: 85 911, 325i, 525i
just to chime in from Wisconsin here... all seasons don't really cut it on BMW's in the snow IMHO. First year of my wife's e39 we had all seasons. The rubber is harder and more slippery. One day she parked on an inclined driveway in fresh snow. The traction control allowed her to get up there, no problem, but about an hour later I stopped by, pulled my car up the hill, parked behind her and as soon as I shut the door on my car, her car "broke loose" and started SLIDING down the driveway (into my car!).

The following year we bought a set of real snow tires and were amazed at the difference. I've passed SUV's starting from a stop light in a heavy snow. The combination of rear-wheel-drive, traction control and real snow tires is quiet astounding.

Go with the real snows, IMHO. The rubber is designed to stay grippy in the cold, where that's not so much the case with all seasons.

Mark.

01 325i 5-speed
03 525i auto
85 911 Carrera 5-speed

markmalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:26 AM   #5
York

My Ride: 01 330Ci
+1 for dedicated winter tires. That's my setup here in Utah. My Blizzaks are a little "squirrelly" at highway speeds, but great around town.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:32 AM   #6
LittleChrist12

My Ride: 2003 BMW 325xi
I run Blizzak LMs on my stock rims during the NY winter. (October 15 - March 15). I do 50 miles a day, half highway and half back roads. I suggest sticking with snow tires, they're a little louder at highway speeds but you'll never really have to worry about poor road conditions.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:58 PM   #7
SLVR JDM

My Ride: reclining rear seats
Winter tires, no question. My winter setup is in my sig. I love having two sets of wheels and tires.

** Removed **
SLVR JDM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 07:11 AM   #8
avincent52

My Ride: 325iT 5 speed/Sport
I run Blizzaks on dedicated stock wheels on my 325iT in New Jersey, and they're really worth their weight.
FWIW, I've run them in warm weather, and there's no performance/safety issue of the kind that Bios24 reported (on his *truck*)
The Blizzaks weren't at all squirrely in warm/wet conditions, although they do seem happier and even more sure-footed when the temp is around freezing.
The only problem: They're a little noisier.

One close call that doesn't lead to an accident will have paid for the snows many times over.
avincent52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 07:24 AM   #9
tiloulou330i

My Ride: 02 330i zsp
Send a message via AIM to tiloulou330i Send a message via MSN to tiloulou330i Send a message via Yahoo to tiloulou330i
Snow tires are the way to go.I have two sets of wheels/tires...summer/winter.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using BimmerApp

Originally Posted by nawmean?
I know I sound naive, but some of the advice I've taken from this board has helped my life quite a bit
tiloulou330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 07:28 AM   #10
05Mdriver

My Ride: 05 M3.
proper winter / snow tires are a MUST ! Not only for you.. but for other drivers on the road.
05Mdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 03:35 PM   #11
Bake

My Ride: AW F10 535 M-Sport
Definitely do winters. I run Dunlop 3D winters on my 18" OEM ZHP wheels and it makes a difference in light snow and slushy conditions. From now on I will always run two sets of wheels on my BMW's. It really is the right way to go.
Old 08-21-2010, 03:46 PM   #12
Dreamliner330

My Ride: 330xi
Winter tires are a must.

I've got Michelin Arctic Alpin's for my BMW, but the Volvo I used to drive had Blizzards.

The Michelin are more for cold temperatures and road handling..whereas the Blizzaks are for snow/ice traction.

xi + snow tires =
Dreamliner330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 09:15 PM   #13
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
I bought a set of Nokian Hakka R for next winter. I'm excited to try them out.
Kubica is online now   Reply With Quote