E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-26-2010, 12:13 PM   #1
lilpymp

My Ride: e46
power windows problem

my 1999 328i's rear passenger window goes up and down on it's own switch but only goes up on the main switch. how can i solve this? trying to search the forum but 20 pages of irrelevant posts come up. please help.

and also, can somebody post a picture of the relays, where it's located and which ones are which?

thanks!!!
lilpymp is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:26 PM   #2
scottjoh

My Ride: '99 323i & '02 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpymp View Post
my 1999 328i's rear passenger window goes up and down on it's own switch but only goes up on the main switch. how can i solve this? trying to search the forum but 20 pages of irrelevant posts come up. please help.

and also, can somebody post a picture of the relays, where it's located and which ones are which?

thanks!!!
For location and which is which look at the third picture down on this page.
http://www.bmwgm5.com/GM5_FW_Relays.htm
scottjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 02:24 PM   #3
lilpymp

thanks. is there anyway i could see how the relays look like from behind the glove box?
Old 08-27-2010, 02:36 PM   #4
lilpymp

no takers???
Old 08-27-2010, 03:20 PM   #5
jorg323

My Ride: 1999 323i
Eh? If you want to see the relays scottjoh is talking about, you'll have to remove the whole GM5 module and open it up (don't mess with $hit inside unless you know what you're doing). It's behind the glovebox, which you'll have to remove to access it. Scottjoh has a great site (the one he linked to) with pics and removal guides if you're interested.

18" Black ASA AR1 Rims | Yokohama Advan S4 Tires | Bilstein Sport Shocks | Eibach Pro-Kit Springs | Brembo Slotted Rotors | 6000k Xenons | 6000k P. Chrom. Angel Eyes | Eagle Eye LED Tail Lights | K&N FIPK CAI | M-Tech II Front Bumper | 35% Tint | Clear Corners | Matte Black Grille
jorg323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 03:23 PM   #6
jorg323

Also, I don't really know, but it sounds like your switch might just be faulty (bad/worn contacts, etc.)

18" Black ASA AR1 Rims | Yokohama Advan S4 Tires | Bilstein Sport Shocks | Eibach Pro-Kit Springs | Brembo Slotted Rotors | 6000k Xenons | 6000k P. Chrom. Angel Eyes | Eagle Eye LED Tail Lights | K&N FIPK CAI | M-Tech II Front Bumper | 35% Tint | Clear Corners | Matte Black Grille
Old 08-27-2010, 05:47 PM   #7
lilpymp

i had a hunch that it was the switch too but it makes a clicking sound to the window motor at the back when i push it. it just doesn't go down but it goes up from the main switch. it goes up and down on it's own switch. you think it's a switch?
Old 08-27-2010, 05:55 PM   #8
lilpymp

btw, how do you know that a relay is bad? i thought it was those plug and play relays but it says on the link that it should be soldered.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:54 PM   #9
jorg323

PM or email Scott above, he's very knowledgeable about window relay/GM5 issues.

Old 08-28-2010, 06:40 PM   #10
scottjoh

My Ride: '99 323i & '02 540i
If you can control the window motor up and down with the local switch then it is not the relay! It still could be the GM5 however.

I have seen a couple GM5's that have had bad inputs from the windows switches, but, that is pretty rare. I didn't believe it the first time I was contacted. He said he replaced the switch and the problem presisted and wanted the relays replaced. Symptom did not sound like a relay, but, I told him to send it in and I'll take a look. Sure enough two windows switch inputs were bad. One window would not go up and another window would not go down when tested on my known good test bed.
scottjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:51 AM   #11
lilpymp

thanks guys!

Tags
fuse, problems, relay, switch, window