E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-27-2010, 02:31 AM   #1
coopV2

My Ride: 1990 E30 coupe
FRONT & REAR camera install. Savin splitters

Hi there guys,
If anyone is looking for info to install the rear view camera then head on over to the Dynavin thread.....http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...hlight=dynavin.
And check out post #4.
Further to that post.
I have also now fitted a front camera, to help eliminate parking damage to my splitters on my front bar.
Here it is mounted next to the left splitter.

First bit of info that will help in the front or rear install, Is that there is available, an AV line that has an activation line running internally, and exiting at each end. this can carry power to the camera, or from the camera, if it has reverse light power activation, and the DVD player can be connected to the reverse active wire on the back of the DVD. saves searching for reverse + power to turn on the AV camera input..... see below

I ran the camera wires up from under the headlight, along the inner fender to the DME housing, in thru a little grommet, and snipped a small hole in the main harness boot, stretching the hole to feed the AV connector thru. and out into the DME / electrical case.

Next I located the white plastic mount on the fire wall. an easy place to feed the cable thru to the under dash area.
See the red arrow.

and on the other side is the main fuse board, ( RIGHT HAND DRIVE ) and the back of the plastic mount.

In the drop down fuse panel.... you will see 3 distinct sections. the whole lower row is active all the time. the upper row is split into 2 sections, left side is active when accessories is turned on at the key. right side is active with ignition on ready to start the car. you will see several open fuse vacancies, and can insert a blade connector into any of those, but make sure you add an inline fuse to protect your electrics.
NOW i have run the AV line to the back of the DVD, where the rear view camera is connected to the REAR AV IN. I picked up a $4 AV splitter and plugged both cameras into that line.

You will see below my fingers that the lower AV line has the small red wire coming from it, That is the power source to the front camera. rear camera gets power from the reverse light.
(see the Dynavin thread.)
Next is the power switching method to run both cameras.
And to keep the voltage separate from the front and rear, this is what I did.
from the electronics shop, I got hold of some small ZENNER DIODES. they control voltage direction. with the silver band being on the exit side of +pos. they will block power coming from the silver band side of the Diode. So you can join 2 of these on the silver band side and then power thru one wire will not cross over to the other side.

Next image you can see the ON/OFF/ON switch I have mounted in the panel next to the DSC button.
+pos from the fuse board is fed to the middle connector on the switch backside.
the 2 wires with the Diodes on are also connected, one to the left and one on the right. the switch works backwards.... pushing on the left side button, connects to the right wire, and vise verse.
SO. the little red wire from the AV is fixed to one side, and will not get power when the switch is thrown the other way, because of the Diodes. and regardless of left or right switching, both sides power up the DVD rear activation wire. that opens up the camera AV cable source.

While I had the dash trim off I decided to fit the IR receiver for the digital TV remote. Drilled a small hole and filed it out some, then using double sided 3M tape, i mounted the IR receiver.

Here you go, all done and workin a treat.

View from the rear, with the switch activated and in reverse gear.

View from the front bar, out of reverse now, switched to the other side only.

And in this shot the car is 18" from my workshop wall, the block of wood is low enough to just clear my splitter, but just flush to the tip of the splitter. the image is in reverse, and the fish eye effect makes it hard to judge at first.

Anyway hope this is of help to some of you.
COOP.

2000 328ci facelift, Quaffe LSD, DBA rotors, Braided lines, Short shift, Coilovers, whiteline swaybars, 19" upfront, 20" outback. TMS brace kit and powerflex all round.

Last edited by coopV2; 08-27-2010 at 03:45 AM.
coopV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.