E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-15-2010, 09:10 AM   #1
fm

My Ride: 2006 BMW Z4
Dice Silverline Pro with iPhone

I have a 2006 Z4 and just connected a Dice Silverline Pro to the stereo. I am trying to use it with an iPhone 3Gs with the latest OS 4 software update.

When I connect the iPhone to the Spec.Dock, the radio says "Attached" and it displays the track information etc. However, the music doesn't always play through my stereo. Most often, the music plays through my iPhone speakers.

I have tried resetting my phone several times as well as unplugging the 3-pin connector for the Dice unit and giving it time to reset. I have also tried to connect the iPhone in both Smart Mode and Locked Mode. It tends to work a bit better in Locked Mode but it's still hit and miss.

The system works perfectly with an iPod Nano so I know the connections are right.

Does anyone have any ideas/solutions?

Thanks!

FM

Last edited by fm; 07-15-2010 at 09:11 AM.
fm is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:40 AM   #2
tom @ eas
european auto source

My Ride: e92 S/C M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fm View Post
I have a 2006 Z4 and just connected a Dice Silverline Pro to the stereo. I am trying to use it with an iPhone 3Gs with the latest OS 4 software update.

When I connect the iPhone to the Spec.Dock, the radio says "Attached" and it displays the track information etc. However, the music doesn't always play through my stereo. Most often, the music plays through my iPhone speakers.

I have tried resetting my phone several times as well as unplugging the 3-pin connector for the Dice unit and giving it time to reset. I have also tried to connect the iPhone in both Smart Mode and Locked Mode. It tends to work a bit better in Locked Mode but it's still hit and miss.

The system works perfectly with an iPod Nano so I know the connections are right.

Does anyone have any ideas/solutions?

Thanks!

FM
This could be related to the seat on the spec dock. Do you have a DICE docking connector you can compare with?
tom @ eas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 10:45 AM   #3
fm

Thanks Tom. Unfortunately I only have the Spec.Dock connection - they didn't send me a separate Dice direct connection.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:07 PM   #4
Jason@BavSound
Sponsor

My Ride: Cars/Trucks/Bikes
Hmmm... Seeing as it works with the Nano, but not your iPhone, something is clearly amiss here. Are you able to try another iPhone?

Keep me posted at jws@bavsound.com.
p: 678.388.9538

Jason@BavSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 02:13 PM   #5
fm

Hi Jason,

I tried it out with a friendís iPhone 3Gs last night but had the same issues. I then unplugged the 3-pin connector and gave the system time to reset once again. When I reconnected it, the device worked while the iPhone was in Locked Mode but stopped working as soon as I tried connecting it in Smart Mode. Then when I reconnected it using Locked Mode, it showed all the information on the radio and I could control it from the radio, but the sound was coming from the iPhone speakers.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:16 PM   #6
Jason@BavSound
Sponsor

It sounds like something is going on with the Dice module. Please contact my sales manager, Halston Pitman, at rhp@bavsound.com and he can help guide you through the exchange process.
I do apologize for the Dice misbehaving like this! I promise we'll get you taken care of as expeditiously as possible.

Old 07-15-2010, 02:20 PM   #7
fm

Hi Jason,

Thanks so much for your eagerness to help. Unfortunately I had to purchase the package directly from Spec.Dock because you guys don't ship to Canada. I have contacted Spec.Dock and I'm hoping they will be as helpful as you are in exchanging the Dice unit.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:47 PM   #8
Jason@BavSound
Sponsor

No worries! You're in good hands with the guys at 2point5.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:19 PM   #9
captain_jim1

My Ride: 99 323i
Send a message via AIM to captain_jim1
I am actually experiencing the same problem in my mom's 2001 530i... I installed the Silverline Pro tonight and discovered that when we disconnect the iPhone4 and reconnect it relatively quickly (say within a minute).. it then only plays out of the iPhone speakers. The DICE is set up to play in Smart Mode. Any ideas?
83 320i - 292k - Currently dead.
captain_jim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:25 PM   #10
fm

Hi Brad,

The people at 2point5 are sending me a cable to test whether it's an issue with the DICE device or the Spec.Dock. I'll let you know when I get the cable and have tested it out. I was hoping that it might just be a defective unit but to hear that you have the same problem makes me wonder.... Maybe these things don't work well with the new OS4 software update from Apple....
Old 08-01-2010, 02:37 PM   #11
michaelyou2188

My Ride: 2003.5 BMW M3
I have the exact same problem...hopefully we can find the solution quick
michaelyou2188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 02:47 PM   #12
fm

I received a raw DICE cable and tried it out to see if the issue was with the Spec.Dock or the DICE module. It seems as though the issue is with the DICE module because I have the exact same issue with the raw cable connection. The people at 2point5 are sending me a replacement DICE module. Fingers crossed that this one works!
Old 08-25-2010, 12:52 PM   #13
fm

Got the replacement DICE module and everything works perfectly! Looks like the issue was a defective DICE unit all along....
Old 08-28-2010, 08:54 PM   #14
sirch

My Ride: 330i, 545i
I had the same problem with mine. I bought my unit through BSW and contacted them directly who directed me to DICE. The rep at DICE told me it was related to old software in the DICE unit. DICE has since sent me out a new unit and I plan on installing it this weekend. I just wished I didn't have to pay for shipping the defective/old software unit back to them. I also think a future discount should have been offered for our time and inconvience regarding the problems with the unit.
sirch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2006 z4, dice, iphone 3gs, os 4, silverline pro