E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-26-2010, 10:12 PM   #1
330iFL

My Ride: 2002 330i
Head Gasket -- advice requested

About a year ago an indy shop changed out my expansion tank. Unfortunately the hose to the radiator was on crooked. Within seconds of blowing the coolant(visable smoke in the front end of the car) the car overheated and was turned off. The car was towed back to the indy shop who fixed the hose and hoped for the best. The car ran fine for a bit but over the last year we have been chasing a coolant leak which was no where to be found(even under pressure) and as of late the engine has had a terrible miss and running terrible.

Long story short the head was taken off the car and according to the shop it is clearly a failed head gasket which is throwing coolant into cylider #3. This would explain the miss and the illusive coolant leak. The shop is taking responsibility and fixing the problem(huge thumbs up IMO), however I want to make sure it is fixed correctly. What are the chances a "good" mechanic(assuming) can pull the head and tell the head is not cracked or warped and a valve job is not needed?

The mechanic wants me to come by the shop to show me the problem he sees(cylinder #3). My train of thought tells me the head should go to a machine shop to check for any cracks/hairline cracks and I am not sure if/when a valve job is nesessary. If it was your car what would you ask of the shop? Simply replace the gasket, new valve job and gasket, send head to machine shop, etc. Thanks for the help!
330iFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:58 PM   #2
White_Knuckles

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quite a conundrum you have. The shop will be limited to what they believe is a proper repair. Additional parts you feel need shop evaluation from related damage, such as the valves, won't be recognized as initial shop liability. They will suggest to replace the head gasket and check compression. Should the compression or leak-down tests fail then they may take diagnostic steps to hopefully resolve. If the test passes, you're on your way with a running car. They may agree to a visual inspection but sending out your head at their cost, is not in their scope. Valve failure would show up with the compression test. I'd suggest not to bug them upfront for what "might be" bad and let them determine the proper repair method.

Last edited by White_Knuckles; 07-26-2010 at 11:59 PM.
White_Knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 01:12 AM   #3
golf_234

My Ride: E46, E90, E82, F22
i agree... sometimes playing dumb is good
Old 07-27-2010, 10:43 AM   #4
330iFL

Guys I really appreciate the input. I didnt know if it was given if you have a head gasket leak you automaticly do a valve job/check the head for warpage or cracks. I appreciate the input.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:00 AM   #5
mw92841

My Ride: 325i 2003
I agree with you. I would have the Head sent out and checked. You can only torque them down so many times before you end up stripping the inserts. If its off have it checked now. Eliminate the doubts. They usually can mill them down once if its not warped badly ($60). The key is making sure they don't over torque it. I've seen guys with 20 years experience strip the threads.
mw92841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 01:32 PM   #6
330iFL

Quick update, the indy shop did send the head to a machine shop and they found no cracks(water jet pressure test looking for bubbles) however the head was slightly warped; .07-.01 thousandths if i wrote it down correctly. The head is going to be milled down and a particular head gasket will be used which is speficly made slightly larger for heads which have been milled.

In the mean time apparently my ccv hoses are brittle/falling appart so the shop has offered to change out the ccv for parts only, no additional labor since the hoses have to come off anyway throughout the process.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:39 PM   #7
golf_234

My Ride: E46, E90, E82, F22
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330iFL View Post
Quick update, the indy shop did send the head to a machine shop and they found no cracks(water jet pressure test looking for bubbles) however the head was slightly warped; .07-.01 thousandths if i wrote it down correctly. The head is going to be milled down and a particular head gasket will be used which is speficly made slightly larger for heads which have been milled.

In the mean time apparently my ccv hoses are brittle/falling appart so the shop has offered to change out the ccv for parts only, no additional labor since the hoses have to come off anyway throughout the process.
amazing op. you can get the entire ccv kit from tischer for 150 shipped btw. definitely a good thing to do when everything is disassembled anyways. your car is going to run like new
Old 07-27-2010, 02:05 PM   #8
330iFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf_234 View Post
amazing op. you can get the entire ccv kit from tischer for 150 shipped btw. definitely a good thing to do when everything is disassembled anyways. your car is going to run like new
Run like new? Holy cow that would be amazing. This car has been a pain in the @ss over the past year.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:05 PM   #9
330iFL

Quick update, the car is finally finished! Praise the Lord the car runs really well and is a dream to drive all over again. From my research i thought we may have a problem with the block holding torque and sure enough the mechanic used coils on all head bolts.

Problem, now the car is throwing p0444. Mechanic says it may be gas cap so ill replace that since its cheap and hope for the best. Does anyone see a reason how this code could be throwing from the head gasket job?
Old 08-31-2010, 03:48 PM   #10
g6

My Ride: BMW
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/search....rchid=15543259

looks like gas cap or purge valve; fortunately for you that is a really isolated code and shouldnt be too big of a deal.
g6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 05:46 PM   #11
330iFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by g6 View Post
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/search....rchid=15543259

looks like gas cap or purge valve; fortunately for you that is a really isolated code and shouldnt be too big of a deal.
Thanks for the input, I will hope for the best in the gas cap.

Tags
coolant, gasket, head, leak