E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-20-2010, 11:54 AM   #1
VECTOR

My Ride: 2004 330CI auto vert
Question Several OEM Nav questions (problems/upgrades)

My 2004 has a few spots on the screen that look like the pixels are bad. They almost look like eraser marks inside the screen. While they are tolerable at this point, is it a sign of things to come, i.e. the screen will progressively get worse? Or have some of you experienced this and it just remains the same over time? How much is it to repair or replace the screen?

Additionally, I would like to bypass the warning screen, but my search to find such a bypass has come up empty so far.
Also I would like to add bluetooth, an Ipod, and possibly XM to the system. I have read about DICE and the Parrot interface for the Ipod and bluetooth, but was wondering if someone who also wanted to do the same things has any advice as to the best all around way to go about it?

Thanks
VECTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:34 PM   #2
95m3ltw

My Ride: 330CicZHP 325iTZSP
Vector,

Make that 2 of us. My fiance just bought a 04 330 with Nav, we tried a Dice but afraid it was no dice. While we might have experienced a defective unit, seems the Dice does not like working with the Nav based on others posts. We currently have a Grom unit installed in a 06 Accord and it works great, I emailed Grom about updates that supposedly make the unit work nicely with the Nav radio and they told me to wait a few weeks to see how their beta testers reported back about the updates.

I am going to wait a few weeks and possibly try another Dice unit from BSW since they are local to me and have a great rep for customer service.
95m3ltw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 08:54 PM   #3
VECTOR

Lightbulb

I have not decided on how much stuff I will be adding, but I'd like for everything to work together without any glitches if I am going to lay out the money. The sad thing is that you need to buy all this aftermarket stuff compared with cars that it comes in standard from the factory, such as Acura.

Anyway, on the DICE issue, I was reading this thread which implies that DICE is not the only game in town, and this unit might even be better.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...077&highlight=
Old 05-20-2010, 11:13 PM   #4
filburt1

My Ride: 2006 325Ci ZPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by VECTOR View Post
Additionally, I would like to bypass the warning screen, but my search to find such a bypass has come up empty so far.
Apparently if you flash the firmware to a lower version then back to a newer, it goes away. You can also set the region of the computer to the UK instead of US which requires something like NavCoder.
filburt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 04:21 PM   #5
Halston@BSW
Sponsor

My Ride: E30 X5 TJ
Also if you have navigation and want a more 'iPod like' integration you might want to try to the intravee. This uses Alpine cables and the way it is setup seems tailored to NAV equipped vehicles. You get the use menus instead of scrolling(more of what the Business CD itself does).

Might be another option for those with NAV.

BSW | Audio Solutions for YOUR BMW
www.bavsound.com | 404-963-8857

iPod Integration | Plug & Play Speakers | Subwoofer Solutions | Satellite Radio | HD Radio | Bluetooth
Halston@BSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 04:43 PM   #6
sna77
OEM ///Member

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halston@BSW View Post
Also if you have navigation and want a more 'iPod like' integration you might want to try to the intravee. This uses Alpine cables and the way it is setup seems tailored to NAV equipped vehicles. You get the use menus instead of scrolling(more of what the Business CD itself does).

Might be another option for those with NAV.
+1

If you can somehow manage to scrounge up an Apline KCA-420i, this is the only way to go with OEM Nav:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=679659

Last edited by sna77; 05-21-2010 at 04:46 PM.
sna77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 04:46 PM   #7
sna77
OEM ///Member

Quote:
My 2004 has a few spots on the screen that look like the pixels are bad. They almost look like eraser marks inside the screen. While they are tolerable at this point, is it a sign of things to come, i.e. the screen will progressively get worse? Or have some of you experienced this and it just remains the same over time? How much is it to repair or replace the screen?

Also I would like to add bluetooth, an Ipod, and possibly XM to the system. I have read about DICE and the Parrot interface for the Ipod and bluetooth, but was wondering if someone who also wanted to do the same things has any advice as to the best all around way to go about it?

Thanks
My system is like this. This is what i recommend, all OEM parts:

Bluetooth $500 (new parts)
Sirius / XM $500 (new parts)
AUX input ($30)
Intravee II for iPod ($300ish)

Demonstration:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=707624
Old 05-21-2010, 04:49 PM   #8
sna77
OEM ///Member

Quote:
The sad thing is that you need to buy all this aftermarket stuff compared with cars that it comes in standard from the factory, such as Acura.
Welcome to BMW. The electronics are overly engineered and overly complicated. And they are never standard equipment. The good thing is because of the consistency of BMW's build, you can fit all of the above, all OEM parts, into a 1995 7 series. Try doing that in an old Acura. It's not the cheapest, but it's integrated and reliable.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:06 AM   #9
Elkhound
Banned

My Ride: 2003 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by sna77 View Post
My system is like this. This is what i recommend, all OEM parts:

Bluetooth $500 (new parts)
Sirius / XM $500 (new parts)
AUX input ($30)
Intravee II for iPod ($300ish)

Demonstration:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=707624
Steve, what are you intending the AUX input to be used for?
Elkhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 09:47 AM   #10
sna77
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhound View Post
Steve, what are you intending the AUX input to be used for?
the audio for my ipod for video (I'll have 2 ipods in the car)

Will use this cable:
http://isimplesolutions.com/ipod-adapter/MediaWire.asp

to connect to the NavTV unit (used for the backup camera)
Old 06-02-2010, 11:21 AM   #11
VECTOR

Question

I appreciate all the advice, but it dawned on me that no one addressed the screen issue I am having. I will take a picture later and post it, but a few small areas of my screen have marks (not external) that are there no matter what screen I am on. Anyone else have this, and is it a static problem, or does it get progressively worse?
Old 09-05-2010, 08:58 AM   #12
delmarco

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
Quote:
Welcome to BMW. The electronics are overly engineered and overly complicated. And they are never standard equipment. The good thing is because of the consistency of BMW's build, you can fit all of the above, all OEM parts, into a 1995 7 series. Try doing that in an old Acura. It's not the cheapest, but it's integrated and reliable.
It's depressing to think you can spend $1,000+ on something and just to get
iPod and Bluetooth you need to spend another $1000.

Imagine if BMW made Running Shoes: $100 for the shoes, $200 for the insoles, $300 for shoe laces, $500 for socks.
You see how the logic for OEM NAv retrofit is so....illogical!

Quote:
the audio for my ipod...I'll have 2 ipods in the car
lol. There is something that is so American emanating from this statement.

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917

Last edited by delmarco; 09-05-2010 at 09:03 AM.
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote