E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2010, 11:24 PM   #1
mystic_zhp

My Ride: 04 330i zhp
XM Radio

Hey Guys I am new to the forum but have done some research before starting this tread. I have recently picked up a e46 330i and it has the xm radio already installed on the car but the service has run out. I have been reading different post about hooking up a ipod to the car via the Dice, BMW accessory, or the diy method. My question is can I hook up my iphone through the xm connection, I really don't want to pull the radio out just to plug the connector in the back, but if I have to then I will go that route.

Thanks for any advice
mystic_zhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:42 AM   #2
Steve330ci

My Ride: 2011 328i, Jet Black
Send a message via Skype™ to Steve330ci
Unless you have a separate device going thru a FM transmitter, if you have XM, then you probably have a Blitzsafe adapter in the trunk along with the XM Direct unit. Look in the driver's side of the trunk behind the insulation. Depending on the Blitzsafe model, you may be able to add an AUX connection for an Apple device.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:23 AM   #3
mystic_zhp

Thanks!
Old 09-06-2010, 10:30 AM   #4
808ZHP

My Ride: '03 330i ZHP
I added the AUX cable to my car and I have Sirius as well...didn't want to lose that. You have to unscrew the head unit and plug it in the back, that's just how to do it. It takes a little time but just do it; the cable costs $40 at your local BMW dealership.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:41 AM   #5
808ZHP

Here's a pic of what I did:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	374487  
Old 09-06-2010, 03:08 PM   #6
mystic_zhp

I took apart the driver side trunk and found that the xm transmitter was a bmw piece. The part number is 65120398140

808ZHP, I have seen the bmw connector but most people have the cable in the glove box. How did you install yours, I like how clean the mod is.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:57 PM   #7
808ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystic_zhp View Post
I took apart the driver side trunk and found that the xm transmitter was a bmw piece. The part number is 65120398140

808ZHP, I have seen the bmw connector but most people have the cable in the glove box. How did you install yours, I like how clean the mod is.
Thanks, It really wasn't that hard. Here's a good DIY: http://www.my330i.com/mod26.php#P

FYI if you wanted to activate Sirius you have to know the Sirius ID# located on the BMW alpine satellite receiver in the trunk behind the drivers side carpet where you found that part number. it's a different sticker inconveniently placed in the worst spot ever. Sirius needs that number to activate your radio. You can read them your vin but most likely won't help.
Also, if you want the aux cable where I put mine, be extremely careful when drilling the 1/4" hole in the DSC console. Just follow the instructions I gave you and you should be fine.
Good luck
Old 09-06-2010, 04:52 PM   #8
bimmer07
Banned

My Ride: //////////M
Send a message via AIM to bimmer07
if you get the trunk mount dice kit you can get a y cable that is made to split the sirius and the oem cd changer in the trunk.
bimmer07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:32 PM   #9
Steve330ci

My Ride: 2011 328i, Jet Black
Send a message via Skype™ to Steve330ci
Mystic ZHP, you don;t have XM, you have Sirius. Why not just call Sirius and activiate it?
Old 09-06-2010, 08:09 PM   #10
mystic_zhp

Thanks for all the help guys. I don't really like Sirus radio, I would much rather listen to my ipod and I can just play pandora radio when I am tired of my ipod. I will try to knock out this diy on Friday if I don't have a car to detail.

Thanks again