E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-12-2010, 01:11 AM   #21
dmon_101

My Ride: has sexy fogs/shoes
Send a message via AIM to dmon_101
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
This is the most simple response. In this vast universe, it would be silly to believe that we are the only intelligent lifeforms.
especially in a 13.75 billion year old universe where light speed travel is impossible and sentient species would have to evolve and then travel those great distances in such a limited time with limited resources

Dealer Programmable Options | Projector Fogs FTW
There are a lot of Fs and too many Ks in the F/M/K scenario <- posted before I met my wife
To answer your question, it's something you can find by searching the forum or using Google
dmon_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 01:14 AM   #22
cd330
ModZombie Moderator

My Ride: manual stl gry 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by hudatder View Post
Thats all fine and dandy, but if they do have the tech to diagnose and cure cancer, then why not use it? To keep the earth population under control?
$$$$$$$
Old 09-12-2010, 01:15 AM   #23
zikhkd

My Ride: AMG
Send a message via AIM to zikhkd
Quote:
This is the most simple response. In this vast universe, it would be silly to believe that we are the only intelligent lifeforms.
Scary thought. If humans were capable of such technology til this day, just imagine whats out there, makes you wonder whats out there... hopefully soon enough we'll find out
Old 09-12-2010, 01:25 AM   #24
SweTurbo
Big Pimpin'

My Ride: 323i -98
Quote:
+1 , Intelligent is a vague word , but i'd say that we're not alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmon_101 View Post
especially in a 13.75 billion year old universe where light speed travel is impossible and sentient species would have to evolve and then travel those great distances in such a limited time with limited resources
The laws of the universe aren't complete , so there might be a way for us to travel greater distances in about the same time as we have achived now...

But yeah , it's pretty farfetched (since you have pretty much endless ways to go in the universe , what are the odds of anyone encountering earth...)

Last edited by SweTurbo; 09-12-2010 at 01:27 AM.
SweTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 01:43 AM   #25
jailonacs99

My Ride: 2011 335is
I have no doubt that there are or have been sentient, even intelligent beings somewhere in the universe. The problem is, when you use the same logical deductive conceptualization of the infinite breadth of the physical universe to deduce that intelligent life does or has existed elsewhere in the universe, you realize that the probability that life contacts us in the popularized manner is infinitesimally small.
Old 09-12-2010, 02:02 AM   #26
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fractal Seb View Post
damn that sh1t just has me thinking, ive always just wanted to know the truth. one thing is for sure, that if they do have the cure to cancer, theres no doubt they would hide it. if they exposed it/made it accessible, a lot of people would lose their jobs, and yes the population would stay/grow at an all time high.

anyway, a huge majority of all the ufo videos that are on youtube, are absolute hoaxs. but, there are very few that really are genuinely real, and credible. more and more keep popping up, and its weird to know ufo sightings have drastically increased this year and in the passed couple months, not to mention all the other strange events going on around the world. it just has been weirding me out.
1. that's "past" not "passed"
2. the idea that there are more UFO sightings now that in recent past years is about the same as the assertion that there have been more volcano eruptions and earthquakes this year than in the past. We just see more of it because the media is everywhere now, and anyone can post a video of anything online.
3. if you look at UFO "outbreaks" in the past, they usually come in groups. One person sees something, then suddenly lots of people see things, then it slows down again for a while.

I love the concept of looking for a "cure for cancer", too. "Cancer" is a catch-all term that encompasses so many different ailments. Might as well find a cure for "sporadic cell mutation", a cure for the common cold, and a cure for the flu while we're at it.
Old 09-12-2010, 02:10 AM   #27
dmon_101

My Ride: has sexy fogs/shoes
Send a message via AIM to dmon_101
what's the statistic?

90% of "UFO sightings" occur within 50 miles of a military base

something like that

Dealer Programmable Options | Projector Fogs FTW
There are a lot of Fs and too many Ks in the F/M/K scenario <- posted before I met my wife
To answer your question, it's something you can find by searching the forum or using Google
dmon_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 10:52 AM   #28
cd330
ModZombie Moderator

Quote:
what's the statistic?

something like that
i saw one when I was in the military in SoCal.
Old 09-12-2010, 01:21 PM   #29
Fractal Seb

My Ride: spoon AP2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
1. that's "past" not "passed"
2. the idea that there are more UFO sightings now that in recent past years is about the same as the assertion that there have been more volcano eruptions and earthquakes this year than in the past. We just see more of it because the media is everywhere now, and anyone can post a video of anything online.
3. if you look at UFO "outbreaks" in the past, they usually come in groups. One person sees something, then suddenly lots of people see things, then it slows down again for a while.

I love the concept of looking for a "cure for cancer", too. "Cancer" is a catch-all term that encompasses so many different ailments. Might as well find a cure for "sporadic cell mutation", a cure for the common cold, and a cure for the flu while we're at it.
omgz youre right
Old 09-12-2010, 01:42 PM   #30
Raymond42262

My Ride: Is German
Quote:
Originally Posted by jailonacs99 View Post
The black helicopter flying military industrial complex would have you believe I am not 1st.

There is not enough tin foil in the world for this thread.
Sure, there is........recycling is very popular now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owtlaw333 View Post
I used to really be into the UFO stuff when I was little. I completely lost interest at some point in time... and while I would love to believe all this, it was on his deathbed. Do have any idea how senile/delusional people can be before their death? So many people use the deathbed reference as a defense for their arguments (ie: "But [insert prominent figure here] said it on his deathbed, so it must be true!") but completely skip over that fact.
It does seem quite common that we get these deathbed confessions that can't be verified. If it was so important then why was it not videotaped ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner330 View Post
I'd be ignorant to think we are alone in the universe...
I don't think we are alone either but I don't necessarily think that our neighbors are little green men either. It could be s life form we are not familiar with . I am not a Trekkie, but look at all the lifeforms that they had on their shows. Not all of them were 2 legged mammals we are used to seeing.

I also don't think that they have to be millions of years ahead of us in development. Look at how far we have come since the end of WW2 65 years ago. Imagine where we will be and the lifestyle we will be living 65 years from now. They could be 50 years ahead of us in technology and may be able to reach us. Who knows for sure ?

Last edited by Raymond42262; 09-12-2010 at 01:43 PM. Reason: typo
Raymond42262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 01:53 PM   #31
M3Inline6
F82 ///M4 coming soon!

My Ride: 335/X5/M3/848/128i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond42262 View Post
I also don't think that they have to be millions of years ahead of us in development. Look at how far we have come since the end of WW2 65 years ago. Imagine where we will be and the lifestyle we will be living 65 years from now. They could be 50 years ahead of us in technology and may be able to reach us. Who knows for sure ? [/B]
Good post!

The main problem with humans is that we think that we know everything, and if it can't be understood nor explained in our "limited" capacity, it must not be possible.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 09-12-2010 at 01:54 PM.
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 03:59 PM   #32
Tom5933
<3s Euro-Spec

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Good post!

The main problem with humans is that we think that we know everything, and if it can't be understood nor explained in our "limited" capacity, it must not be possible.
One of the truest posts i've ever seen on E46fanatics
Old 09-12-2010, 08:22 PM   #33
Raymond42262

My Ride: Is German
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockMan View Post
Air Force Project Blue Book.
That is all I am allow to disclose at this time.
Project Serpo.........

http://www.serpo.org/article6.php

Quote:
what's the statistic?

something like that
That is an interesting statistic. I am sure that it is probably correct. But you have to look at where military posts are located. Many are in rural areas but a significant number are located in and around major cities. Washington DC and Baltimore have 6 or 8 military posts within an hour from them, Jscksonville, FL; San Diego CA, Tampa Bay, FL, Colorado Springs, CO; Dayton, OH; Norfolk, VA all have major military installlations. And there are many more. I think that you could probably find any arguement you wanted to prove and say it was an hour from a military post or an hour from the ocean or...........just fill in the blank.

I think 95 percent or more can be reasonably explained as other aircraft, illusions, shadows, satellites in the sky etc...... but if one of them is correct then the entire phenomena is legitmate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd330 View Post
i saw one when I was in the military in SoCal.
Would you care to share your experience with us ?

Last edited by Raymond42262; 09-12-2010 at 08:49 PM.
Raymond42262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:15 PM   #34
djmangee816

My Ride: ///m
ive been minddddd phucccc
djmangee816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:33 PM   #35
M3Inline6
F82 ///M4 coming soon!

My Ride: 335/X5/M3/848/128i
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmangee816 View Post
ive been minddddd phucccc
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 12:48 AM   #36
cd330
ModZombie Moderator

Quote:
Would you care to share your experience with us ?
Sure..... so i was out in the field for 2 weeks.... no shower, no chow hall, just MRE's, training and exhaustion... I woke in the middle of the night and saw a hovering aircraft, circular in motion with flashing lights of different colors. I saw it for a good 30 seconds and then it was gone. Not sure if I was dreaming,just out of my mind at that point or if it was actually real. One thing is for sure, when I woke up in the morning there was a huge ass tarantula resting on my chest on top of my sleeping bag, one quick flick of my bag and he went flying ....

serious.

Last edited by cd330; 09-13-2010 at 12:49 AM.
cd330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 12:56 AM   #37
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by cd330 View Post
Sure..... so i was out in the field for 2 weeks.... no shower, no chow hall, just MRE's, training and exhaustion... I woke in the middle of the night and saw a hovering aircraft, circular in motion with flashing lights of different colors. I saw it for a good 30 seconds and then it was gone. Not sure if I was dreaming,just out of my mind at that point or if it was actually real. One thing is for sure, when I woke up in the morning there was a huge ass tarantula resting on my chest on top of my sleeping bag, one quick flick of my bag and he went flying ....

serious.
I think I've seen the same thing before...
I was on an exercise, out in the field for about two weeks, no shower, no hot chow. Humping a ruck about 18 hours a day, really tired.

The one I saw was kind of cigar shaped, with a large circular disc attached to it. It kind of hovered over us for a minute, there were flashing lights all over it, and then it left. No tarantula on me, though.
Old 09-13-2010, 01:02 AM   #38
cd330
ModZombie Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
I think I've seen the same thing before...
I was on an exercise, out in the field for about two weeks, no shower, no hot chow. Humping a ruck about 18 hours a day, really tired.

The one I saw was kind of cigar shaped, with a large circular disc attached to it. It kind of hovered over us for a minute, there were flashing lights all over it, and then it left. No tarantula on me, though.
I think that confirms it then, UFO's on military bases do exist.

be glad, freaked me the fvck out... it is weird, during breading season, they are all over camp pendleton, ca, all over the roads and everything, people running them over .... it is like the movie Arachnid ....
end thread.

Last edited by cd330; 09-13-2010 at 01:04 AM.
cd330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 12:20 PM   #39
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
[B]Project Serpo.........

http://www.serpo.org/article6.php
that was some interesting stuff.

Last edited by DylloS; 09-13-2010 at 12:25 PM.
DylloS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 12:47 PM   #40
SaN NizZLe

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
and Area 51 is just a cover for the other countless secret military installations where they keep the real UFO's in
SaN NizZLe is offline   Reply With Quote