E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Car Care & Detailing

Car Care & Detailing
Get detailing answers and tips here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2003, 12:38 PM   #21
SpinHouse247

My Ride: 2001 525iT
Send a message via AIM to SpinHouse247
3M Finesse It with a grey foam pad on low speed (1500rpm) If you are new with a buffer be sure to mask off all the edges so you don't burn them. Follow up with 3M hand glaze. The hand glaze will make it look wet and just painted but will disappear next time the car gets wet.I personally don't use a wax because it will just build up and be a haven for swirl marks again. Your best bet is to use a good polish every few weeks. I hear the Zaino Bros stuff is great but personally haven't used it.

BIG TIP: Use a leaf blower to dry the car and a 100% cotton towel that is undyed to get any other spots the blower doesn't get. Also use a seperate bucket for the wheels, brake dust is the worst enemy of any car's finish!

Last edited by SpinHouse247; 12-07-2003 at 12:43 PM.
SpinHouse247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 06:53 PM   #22
TitanSport

My Ride: 325ci Sport UK Spec
Problem with the leaf blower method is, it dulls your paintwork, by making it flat. Not good, avoid.
Old 12-10-2003, 08:23 PM   #23
flashinthepan

My Ride: 2004 M3
Here's what I did -
To get the swirls out of my Jet Black car here's what I did -

1) wash car thoroughly
2) clay entire car using Pinnacle PolyClay and lubricant
3) polish entire car using Porter-Cable 7424 polisher and Griot's #3 machine polish
4) apply 2 coats of Pinnacle Souveran carnauba paste wax
5) admire the shine

It was a lot of work, I spent 10 hours going over the car. But it shined better than when it was new when Iwas finished.

Not too shabby for a 4-year old car -

------------------------------------------

Ditto !!!

Porter-cable & Griots is a common remmedy, you can use #2 as well and get a slightly deeper polish, which may be needed if you have bad swirls.

As for wax/polish products I love Zaino as well !
flashinthepan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 09:50 PM   #24
nikemykee
First 19" ZHP

My Ride: 03 3 Series
Send a message via AIM to nikemykee
thanks guys i detailed my car the other day, i dawned it then claybared it and after i used the 3 step process (paint cleaner, polish, and high yellow wax) and buffed it all out, the car looks brand new, thanks for the help guys all i need to worry about now is the molding its turning white and i didnt get wax near it. i guess im going to just get them painted
Old 12-10-2003, 11:06 PM   #25
SpinHouse247

OK, please tell me how a leaf blower that blows AIR dulls your paint and makes it flat? Are you getting this confused with a sandblaster possibly? I have been in the body business and auto industry for years and everyone I know that has a high end car that details it themself uses a leaf blower. So all the $150,000 and up car owners are runing them I guess... lol
Old 12-11-2003, 09:34 AM   #26
JasonZHP

My Ride: 01 330Ci and 04 330i
I use the same 3 step method as above, but I use a product called Klasse. It works great!
JasonZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 02:22 PM   #27
slow323ci
E46-free since 10-13-06

My Ride: 335i coupe
Quote:
Originally posted by SpinHouse247
OK, please tell me how a leaf blower that blows AIR dulls your paint and makes it flat? Are you getting this confused with a sandblaster possibly? I have been in the body business and auto industry for years and everyone I know that has a high end car that details it themself uses a leaf blower. So all the $150,000 and up car owners are runing them I guess... lol
I don't know. I don't have a leaf blower. I use my air compressor and blow gun to do the same thing. Maybe they are worried a leaf blower uses unfiltered air and might blow crap on the car?
slow323ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 11:06 AM   #28
SpinHouse247

In the future if you are worried about the moldings just mask them off... Makes life easier and you don't have so worry about them turning white...
While interviewing an anonymous US Special Forces soldier on his sniper skills, a Reuters News agent asked the soldier what he felt when shooting members of Al Qaeda in Afghanistan. The soldier replied: "Recoil"

Old 12-13-2003, 05:19 PM   #29
mickey513

My Ride: e46
Just pick a $20 buffer from Walmart, some foam pad and buffer pad and you are good to go. You can use just about any polish or wax you want, but a good rule of thumb is to use the name brand ones. Just let the machine do the work and remember to keep it wet at all times to prevent it from burning your paint. You do not need to use any pressure too. You will be very happy with the results.
mickey513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 08:01 PM   #30
Chocaine
--

My Ride: '04 330ci
a $20 buffer from walmart will not be nearly as good as a porter cable and nowhere near a rotary. They may be useful for applying wax or a glaze finisher but for removing swirls they can't compete.
Old 12-13-2003, 09:28 PM   #31
nikemykee
First 19" ZHP

My Ride: 03 3 Series
Send a message via AIM to nikemykee
i have a buffer i picked up from autozone a while ago it works great but i want to get a porter cable instead they work miracles
Old 12-16-2003, 10:08 PM   #32
CiRaceTechnik
If I was a drug, Id be DOPE

My Ride: E46.ZHP
Send a message via AIM to CiRaceTechnik
when you get the wax on your moldings, you can use a pencil eraser to get it off

Falken Tires | Function & Form Suspension | Meguiars
CiRaceTechnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 06:03 AM   #33
sooper

My Ride: '99 323i
Used to have a black merc and the swirls were a pain in the ass. I literally worked my ass off to detail the car. Had to wax it every other week.

My next car, a titanium silver E46 gave me lesser problems with the swirls. Though nothing shines like a black car.
sooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 02:57 PM   #34
NYCSteel

My Ride: nuttin.
Quote:
Originally posted by TitanSport
Problem with the leaf blower method is, it dulls your paintwork, by making it flat. Not good, avoid.
How true is this statement ? I currently use the leaf blower. done so about 10 times.. just wondering if I should stop..
NYCSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 05:54 PM   #35
Chocaine
--

My Ride: '04 330ci
NYCsteel: Dont worry about it, just don't blow any debris at your paint and you'll be fine.