E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:36 PM   #201
JohnBlaze
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: DC Metro
Posts: 7,150
My Ride: Black Sunshine
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieE46 View Post
Burns got me the PN I need for the merge.



This is what they use for the E30 M3.

Still has a small step, but not nearly as long. The merge into the neck is much smoother, too.

Just need to get some money together. Dang, so many things to do.

By the way, if anyone wants to donate to help with this research, I accept Paypal

I actually had one very nice Fanatic donate to help with this dyno. I won't name him, because I don't think he'd want everyone hitting him up for cash, haha! (But, thank you very much, it is appreciated).
what is the cost for that collector?
__________________
JohnBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 04:40 PM   #202
aggieE46
Keep it clean
 
aggieE46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Royse City
Posts: 8,039
My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
$230

Quote:
Originally Posted by vi6ious View Post
what is the cost for that collector?
__________________
aggieE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 04:54 PM   #203
JohnBlaze
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: DC Metro
Posts: 7,150
My Ride: Black Sunshine
dayum, I have to run to class. I'll be back to throw some ideas at you...
__________________
JohnBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 05:25 PM   #204
beemka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: GERMANY
Posts: 14
My Ride: 330Ci
AggieE46, take a look:



Dyno chart of 3,5 inch bimmerworlld race exhaust for M3 e46

note a massive torque loss below 4400 rpm. And quote:
The factory uses their common twin-pipe exhaust design on the E46 M3 which is great for packaging - it fits nicely in tight places. But we have been around the block a time or two and built few exhausts for our pro cars, track cars, and project cars along the way and we are good at making things fit. We have also had our fingers in the S54 engine in various environments and we are well-versed in making power. Behold the result - even more impressive than we had hoped when we started building it!

Universal Header Fitment - Direct bolt-on for any standard E46 M3 header, including stock pieces with converters if you have to run them. Due to our necked-up primary piping, cars using the larger diameter Supersprint V1 Stepped Header can also fit this part by cutting off the short reducer section and welding the included flanges onto the pipes for unrestricted flow.

Race-Quality Merge Collector - Primary pipes flow directly into a hand-built merge collector, specifically designed to increase exhaust scavenging. An oxygen sensor bung is placed after the merge to add a wideband sensor for dyno work or normal monitoring if desired.

Full 3.5" Diameter - It is extremely tight in some areas, but we made it fit, and very close to the body of the car - no low hanging points to drag on your trailer, entrance curbing, etc. V-band clamps connect the exhaust sections for a clean, tight seal with no gasket required. The 3.5" diameter requires hand-piecing mandrel-bent pipe sections together instead of bending longer pipe sections, but we are not willing to sacrifice our goals for ease of production. The final judge is the dyno, and a 3.5" exhaust makes more power than 3" in even a stock engine - and is an absolute requirement for more modified powerplants.

Now, even though they had applied their "specifically designed to increase exhaust scavenging" collector, they couldn't improve low end. Also, 3.5" made 10hp, let's say 3" made 5hp. Very little gains, and such diameters were used on the engine which produces around 300 whp stock, where M54b30 make less than 200 whp stock.
beemka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 06:35 PM   #205
secono330ci
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NJ>>>>FL
Posts: 2,983
My Ride: 04' 330ci & 99' 540i
You could always think that maybe the magnaflow was a good designed exhaust. Maybe if you didn't have that before hand you would have made more power over something different.

Last edited by secono330ci; 09-16-2010 at 06:36 PM.
secono330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 06:44 PM   #206
secono330ci
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NJ>>>>FL
Posts: 2,983
My Ride: 04' 330ci & 99' 540i
beemka good post
secono330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 07:45 PM   #207
hoveringuy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Seattle
Posts: 209
My Ride: e30
Good info.

I just got done fabbing my exhaust and went with 2.5" partly because I couldn't find a 2" to 3" Y.

I wanted quiet and lighter weight. Objectives met.

http://r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=183420
hoveringuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 08:20 AM   #208
aggieE46
Keep it clean
 
aggieE46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Royse City
Posts: 8,039
My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
I've seen those charts and I've actually asked Bimmerworld if they would consider making one. Seeing that was another encouragement to swap to this exhaust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemka View Post
AggieE46, take a look:



Dyno chart of 3,5 inch bimmerworlld race exhaust for M3 e46

note a massive torque loss below 4400 rpm. And quote:
The factory uses their common twin-pipe exhaust design on the E46 M3 which is great for packaging - it fits nicely in tight places. But we have been around the block a time or two and built few exhausts for our pro cars, track cars, and project cars along the way and we are good at making things fit. We have also had our fingers in the S54 engine in various environments and we are well-versed in making power. Behold the result - even more impressive than we had hoped when we started building it!

Universal Header Fitment - Direct bolt-on for any standard E46 M3 header, including stock pieces with converters if you have to run them. Due to our necked-up primary piping, cars using the larger diameter Supersprint V1 Stepped Header can also fit this part by cutting off the short reducer section and welding the included flanges onto the pipes for unrestricted flow.

Race-Quality Merge Collector - Primary pipes flow directly into a hand-built merge collector, specifically designed to increase exhaust scavenging. An oxygen sensor bung is placed after the merge to add a wideband sensor for dyno work or normal monitoring if desired.

Full 3.5" Diameter - It is extremely tight in some areas, but we made it fit, and very close to the body of the car - no low hanging points to drag on your trailer, entrance curbing, etc. V-band clamps connect the exhaust sections for a clean, tight seal with no gasket required. The 3.5" diameter requires hand-piecing mandrel-bent pipe sections together instead of bending longer pipe sections, but we are not willing to sacrifice our goals for ease of production. The final judge is the dyno, and a 3.5" exhaust makes more power than 3" in even a stock engine - and is an absolute requirement for more modified powerplants.

Now, even though they had applied their "specifically designed to increase exhaust scavenging" collector, they couldn't improve low end. Also, 3.5" made 10hp, let's say 3" made 5hp. Very little gains, and such diameters were used on the engine which produces around 300 whp stock, where M54b30 make less than 200 whp stock.
I DEFINITELY think that the Magnaflow is a well engineered exhaust. Not a doubt in my mind! In fact, as I was sitting outside the shop waiting for a cooldown after I saw my torque loss, that was my first thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by secono330ci View Post
You could always think that maybe the magnaflow was a good designed exhaust. Maybe if you didn't have that before hand you would have made more power over something different.
__________________
aggieE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 08:24 AM   #209
aggieE46
Keep it clean
 
aggieE46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Royse City
Posts: 8,039
My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
Looks/sounds great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoveringuy View Post
Good info.

I just got done fabbing my exhaust and went with 2.5" partly because I couldn't find a 2" to 3" Y.

I wanted quiet and lighter weight. Objectives met.

http://r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=183420
__________________
aggieE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 08:57 AM   #210
aggieE46
Keep it clean
 
aggieE46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Royse City
Posts: 8,039
My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
For reference, here's a better shot of the current Y.

__________________
aggieE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 09:29 AM   #211
Iceman00
I screwed up and can't post
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: FLA
Posts: 2,838
My Ride: E90 6MT
The problem is the Y pipe, period. There is no loss in power going to larger and larger pipe after the merfer. The merger must expand too fast, causing the exhaust gases to cool and slow down, which is why there is a loss of low end power. I've pointed this out before.

The Single 3" pipe has just a bit more surface area than dual 2" pipes, and when the merger is designed correctly, there should be no loss in power. Period.


From Bimmerworlds graph, I don't see a loss in power, but I do see a dyno run that was started later than the inital baseline, which causes a huge dip at the begining as the engine revs under load.
Iceman00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 09:41 AM   #212
aggieE46
Keep it clean
 
aggieE46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Royse City
Posts: 8,039
My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
I agree, although after sending the picture of my current Y to Burns, he said it's pretty close to how they do it. I sent him a better pic to review.

It's on my list, I just need to get some cash together. Another $230 plus welding wasn't in my budget for this, yet.

Also working on getting some parts together for another small project, plus buying a head, and still trying to save up for the ATI damper. Ugh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman00 View Post
The problem is the Y pipe, period. There is no loss in power going to larger and larger pipe after the merfer. The merger must expand too fast, causing the exhaust gases to cool and slow down, which is why there is a loss of low end power. I've pointed this out before.

The Single 3" pipe has just a bit more surface area than dual 2" pipes, and when the merger is designed correctly, there should be no loss in power. Period.


From Bimmerworlds graph, I don't see a loss in power, but I do see a dyno run that was started later than the inital baseline, which causes a huge dip at the begining as the engine revs under load.
__________________
aggieE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:47 AM   #213
Iceman00
I screwed up and can't post
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: FLA
Posts: 2,838
My Ride: E90 6MT
Then the only thing left to do is find the proper placement of the Y pipe. Active Auto (and BMW) place the Y pipe around the transmission and driveshaft coupling area.
Iceman00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:57 AM   #214
Iceman00
I screwed up and can't post
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: FLA
Posts: 2,838
My Ride: E90 6MT
I'd like to see graphs.
Iceman00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 12:52 PM   #215
aggieE46
Keep it clean
 
aggieE46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Royse City
Posts: 8,039
My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman00 View Post
Then the only thing left to do is find the proper placement of the Y pipe. Active Auto (and BMW) place the Y pipe around the transmission and driveshaft coupling area.
Sounds like I should have just gone with the HKS system (which I'd still LOVE to see a dyno on):



That would put the Y pipe right where you're describing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman00 View Post
I'd like to see graphs.
Me, too. Still waiting... I need to call him.
__________________
aggieE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 01:34 PM   #216
xixixi
Banned User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 3,008
My Ride: 01 330x-xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman00 View Post
Then the only thing left to do is find the proper placement of the Y pipe. Active Auto (and BMW) place the Y pipe around the transmission and driveshaft coupling area.
This is what i was hinting at a few days ago. If you look at the y pipe from a 323. It's much further back.
xixixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 01:41 PM   #217
aggieE46
Keep it clean
 
aggieE46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Royse City
Posts: 8,039
My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
Well, if I end up moving the Y pipe back, I'll more than likely scavenge some of that low end torque, but will I sacrifice any gains I made in the process? (Thus wasting my time?)
__________________
aggieE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 03:35 PM   #218
Iceman00
I screwed up and can't post
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: FLA
Posts: 2,838
My Ride: E90 6MT
Aggie, I say save the cash for now, and have the Y pipe placed further back. When I get home, I'll show you what I found.
Iceman00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 03:36 PM   #219
Iceman00
I screwed up and can't post
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: FLA
Posts: 2,838
My Ride: E90 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieE46 View Post
Well, if I end up moving the Y pipe back, I'll more than likely scavenge some of that low end torque, but will I sacrifice any gains I made in the process? (Thus wasting my time?)
No, you should be able to have your cake, and eat it too.
Iceman00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 03:59 PM   #220
aggieE46
Keep it clean
 
aggieE46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Royse City
Posts: 8,039
My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
I'm 5 days into cutting sugar back out of my diet. No need to rub it in

I'm easily frustrated by things like this situation. Bleh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman00 View Post
No, you should be able to have your cake, and eat it too.
__________________
aggieE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Censor is OFF





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use