E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-29-2010, 08:52 PM   #1
330iZHPftw

My Ride: 2004 330i ZHP, SV650
Reverse Camera Install Locations

just purchased a Dynavin V5 and am looking into reverse cameras and location points. I have a ZHP sedan which leaves me really with only two options for a semi-stealth install: under the lip/handle above the rear license plate frame or angled up from under the rear diffuser.

I think under the rear diffuser will be less noticeable though have not looked into how to get the wires ran back into the cabin without having to drill a hole..I'm sure there's a factory point of entry somewhere.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	zhp camera install locations.GIF
Views:	2178
Size:	153.3 KB
ID:	377672  

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:01 PM   #2
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Wrapping an E46 in Vinyl : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=bronze
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:03 PM   #3
330iZHPftw

does that camera fit directly into where the license plate light goes/is that a built in light for the license plate? what is the model of the camera?

BTW saw your posts on the Dynavin forums before..actually told a coworker today about the N64 install you did with the Dynavin
Old 09-29-2010, 10:10 PM   #4
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330iZHPftw View Post

does that camera fit directly into where the license plate light goes/is that a built in light for the license plate? what is the model of the camera?

BTW saw your posts on the Dynavin forums before..actually told a coworker today about the N64 install you did with the Dynavin
I wish I could say that it "fit" but, sadly, it required a good bit of modification to get it to slide into the spot where the license plate bulb/housing goes. The camera is a bit to thick to fit in the housing so, in order to get it in there, we had to modify it a little. The modifications included shaving down the backing of the housing and then shaving down the "clips" that hold it in place. That said, after the modifciations, it sits in there perfectly and even includes an LED light to illuminate the plate. It also looks practically invisibile back there.

And I filmed this for you to demonstrate the picture which is actually really stellar. Keep in mind this is in a dimly lit parking garage. The lines represent one foot intervals which is actually far more accurate than I would have guessed.

As for where I got it, it was off ebay. Just look for bmw e46 back up camera like this : http://cgi.ebay.com/Car-Rear-View-Re...#ht_5332wt_913

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Wrapping an E46 in Vinyl : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=bronze

Last edited by 2000_328CI; 09-29-2010 at 10:12 PM.
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 12:57 AM   #5
PreppyR6

My Ride: shines like justice
I actually have an extra camera (same as above) for sale if youre looking for one. If you have a file then its really easy to see what needs to be shaved down (you only need to shave down an edge IF you have a coupe, if its a sedan then there is no fitment issue). Thats the most involved part of the process though. Totally worth it (I have the same cam installed on my car, looks stealth/oem).
Old 09-30-2010, 06:44 AM   #6
TRBOVNM

My Ride: 04 330 CI/04 Cobra
Send a message via AIM to TRBOVNM
I just got mine the other day. it is an accele or acelle, something like that. it was recommended by a friend who runs an audio shop and uses them all the time. it is held on with double sided tape, which I was leary about, but you just use 3m adhesive promoter and it will stay on forever. So I just need to drill a small 1/8" hole to pass the wire through and will rtv from the inside before I put the lip back together.

I will take pics later and post them up.
TRBOVNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 06:51 AM   #7
Darkoz

My Ride: E46 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRBOVNM View Post
I just got mine the other day. it is an accele or acelle, something like that. it was recommended by a friend who runs an audio shop and uses them all the time. it is held on with double sided tape, which I was leary about, but you just use 3m adhesive promoter and it will stay on forever. So I just need to drill a small 1/8" hole to pass the wire through and will rtv from the inside before I put the lip back together.

I will take pics later and post them up.
Can you let us know how you go TRBOVNM as I will be installing mine this weekend.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:20 AM   #8
TRBOVNM

dang, wish I could before you do yours. but doesn't look like I am getting the dynavin until next week since I am on the east coast and Jeff is on the west. I am out of town tomorrow and saturday for a football game and tonight I have to finish an auto/manual tranny conversion. if I have some time tomorrow morning before I leave, I will see what I can do to temporarily mount it and take pics of the unit.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:05 PM   #9
Darkoz

Quote:
dang, wish I could before you do yours. but doesn't look like I am getting the dynavin until next week since I am on the east coast and Jeff is on the west. I am out of town tomorrow and saturday for a football game and tonight I have to finish an auto/manual tranny conversion. if I have some time tomorrow morning before I leave, I will see what I can do to temporarily mount it and take pics of the unit.
Sorry mate didn't realise that you haven't got the Dynavin yet, sounds like you've got a big weekend ahead, good luck with the football game
Old 09-30-2010, 06:08 PM   #10
inta

My Ride: 325xi
I'm about to buy a Dynavin v5, so this thread is a useful read!

Questions for you guys:
1) I bought some LED license plate lights (attached to the whole housing), which I like and don't want to get rid of. Is there a reverse camera that doesn't replace the license plate housing, but instead mounts into the area between the two (left and right) license plate light housings? I noticed there's an area between that you basically grab to open the trunk.
2) As someone who stays away from anything electrical/electricity-related, how difficult is it to power the reverse cams with the brake lights? Is it just a matter of splicing 2 wires, or what? Anyone have a DIY up that I can refer to for that part?
3) How difficult is it to cleanly run the video cable from the trunk of my e46 sedan to the dash (well, essentially to the back of the Dynavin unit)
inta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 06:42 PM   #11
TRBOVNM

here are pics of mine. Does not require taking out license plate lights.

Last edited by TRBOVNM; 09-30-2010 at 06:45 PM.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:46 PM   #12
TRBOVNM

damn, I resized them and still huge.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:22 PM   #13
330iZHPftw

[QUOTE=TRBOVNM;12296605]here are pics of mine. Does not require taking out license plate lights.

Where does yours install at?
Old 09-30-2010, 07:28 PM   #14
TRBOVNM

I will install it in the same place the others have, but it will be with double sided tape provided with the unit. see post #6
Old 09-30-2010, 09:00 PM   #15
inta

Quote:
I will install it in the same place the others have, but it will be with double sided tape provided with the unit. see post #6
Same place the others have? The others install it where the license plate lights go. Do you mean between the two license plate light, or rather under the rear diffuser or whatever?

Also:
- How easily does this plug into, say a Dynavin v5? In the pics you provided, I don't see a yellow video cable allowing it to plug into a receiver.
- Does it work at night/have night-vision?
- Does it show the 1 foot intervals that another pic/video showed? I suppose that has more to do with the software of the interface it's plugging into?
- Finally, where does yours get its power from?

Thanks for the help on this! =)
Old 09-30-2010, 09:51 PM   #16
TRBOVNM

^ok, sorry I didn't give more info. between this thread and the others, most people put them in the location of the license plate lights. I am going to put it in the same general area. obviously I don't have to remove one of the factory lights, so I am going to put it off to the side. probably driver side and I will test it angled a couple different ways to see what works best before I do a final mount. does that make more sense? hope so. for example, the first post in the thread, he posted a rear pic with two arrows. the upper arrow points to the general location I am talking about, but mine would be on the driver side. That is what I am thinking.

on the hookup, I didn't take pics of the rest of the stuff. just figured showing the camera was enough to get an idea of another design. there is another harness that plugs into the end of that small connector on the end of the harness of the camera. then there is a video RCA plug to plug into the dynavin and there is trigger and ground.

so yes, plugs in very easy to the dynavin or I wouldn't have purchased it.
not sure about the night vision, obviously will find out.
not sure about the intervals
answered above about power.

sorry, don't know everything about it, but trust my buddy. how often will I really rely on it? probably not much, more cool factor and if I do need assistance hopefully it will help. sorry, not a very good review or anything right now so let me get it installed and I will report back.

http://www.iatft.com/pages/detail_rvc1100.html

Last edited by TRBOVNM; 09-30-2010 at 09:57 PM.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:28 PM   #17
inta

Quote:
^ok, sorry I didn't give more info. between this thread and the others, most people put them in the location of the license plate lights. I am going to put it in the same general area. obviously I don't have to remove one of the factory lights, so I am going to put it off to the side. probably driver side and I will test it angled a couple different ways to see what works best before I do a final mount. does that make more sense? hope so. for example, the first post in the thread, he posted a rear pic with two arrows. the upper arrow points to the general location I am talking about, but mine would be on the driver side. That is what I am thinking.

on the hookup, I didn't take pics of the rest of the stuff. just figured showing the camera was enough to get an idea of another design. there is another harness that plugs into the end of that small connector on the end of the harness of the camera. then there is a video RCA plug to plug into the dynavin and there is trigger and ground.

so yes, plugs in very easy to the dynavin or I wouldn't have purchased it.
not sure about the night vision, obviously will find out.
not sure about the intervals
answered above about power.

sorry, don't know everything about it, but trust my buddy. how often will I really rely on it? probably not much, more cool factor and if I do need assistance hopefully it will help. sorry, not a very good review or anything right now so let me get it installed and I will report back.

http://www.iatft.com/pages/detail_rvc1100.html
The last thing you should do is apologize.

Thanks for taking the time to reply! =)
I haven't even gotten my Dynavin yet, and wasn't even considering the 'expense' of a reverse cam, until I came across this thread and though "hey this would be pretty cool?"

Can't wait to hear more about it once you have it installed =)
Old 09-30-2010, 11:02 PM   #18
TRBOVNM

the thing I like about is so far is that I do not need to modify anything. I drill a small hole, put a grommet in, fish the wire, seal any gap in the hole and I am done. everyone else with these others they purchased have had to modify stuff. I will see if I can ask my buddy tomorrow about the night vision and intervals.
Old 10-01-2010, 05:40 AM   #19
sna77
OEM ///Member

My Ride: BMW
I used an Eclipse BEC-108:
http://www.amazon.com/Eclipse-BEC108/dp/B002AN6NEM

sna77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 08:17 AM   #20
Darkoz

I started my camera install tonight and am halfway through due to a slight mishap.
While I was taping the end of the AV cable to a wire to fish the cable through the rubber hose I pulled a bit too tight and snapped off the pin on the AV plug.....fvck!
So now will have to go and buy another AV cable tomorrow so I can finish the job.
This is camera I got, it's a perfect fit due to the depth of the casing being shallow so no modification at all is neccessary.........
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Last edited by Darkoz; 10-01-2010 at 08:42 AM.
Darkoz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
location, reverse camera, zhp