E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2010, 10:33 AM   #1
rharris21

My Ride: 330CI
Brake problems - loud squeak!

Hi ppl - I'm new to e46fanatics so I just thought i'd see if anyone can help.

I have a squeaky brake problem!

My rear discs are fairly corroded and tbh they need replacing which I will do soon.

The noise though seems to be coming from the front.

Its strange because the discs on the front after examination are like new! and with plenty of pad left.
The noise is a very high pitch (and sometimes seriously loud) squeak as I brake. it squeaks intermittently as i then pull away and tends to die down after 30mph.

I have had it looked at by my brother who's a mechanic but only at home - he seemed to think my calliper might be slightly seized (right is worse than left).
I also had it looked at today by a friend at ATS who has the facilities to have a proper look. He said there were no obvious signs of a problem but did do a few things to try and solve it.

I have only driven it briefly on way home from ATS and it seemed to have been solved but as I pulled into my close, it returned!

I'm not sure whether the noise came from the rear or front. I'm hoping the rear as I know these need replacing.

I just wondered what everyones thoughts were as I have tried and tried to solve this problem.. but so far to no avail!

Any help is greatly appreciated as driving with LOUD squeaky brakes is slowly driving me mad!

Thanks.
rharris21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:38 AM   #2
JetBlackE46
Modded

My Ride: E36/E46 M3 E46 323
What kind of pads are you using? Some pads squeal a lot more than others.

Did you compress the calipers back into the piston when you had them checked? That should help you determine if they're frozen or not...but if they were frozen your brakes would be super hot. Your brakes will feel like an oven when you get near it. It's unmistakable.

I would spray it down with brake cleaner and see if that solves your problem.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:51 AM   #3
rharris21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetBlackE46 View Post
What kind of pads are you using? Some pads squeal a lot more than others.

Did you compress the calipers back into the piston when you had them checked? That should help you determine if they're frozen or not...but if they were frozen your brakes would be super hot. Your brakes will feel like an oven when you get near it. It's unmistakable.

I would spray it down with brake cleaner and see if that solves your problem.
I presume they are cheap pads. The front brakes look almost new upon inspection but they are as I brought the car. Have had the car 4 months. I haven't compressed the piston but my friend at a local garage had it yesterday and I believe he tried a few things. I have gone close to the brakes after a long run and they were hot but not super super hot.

it seems as if the pads aren't being released after braking - hard or soft. It seems as if there sticking somehow..
Old 08-11-2010, 11:16 AM   #4
jcns

My Ride: California
OP, take out the front pads.
file the leading and trailing edges of the brake pads at about 45 degrees.
Some pads are already manufactured with this angle, some are not. I have used this trick for 20 years and it works.
jcns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 02:54 PM   #5
mrx733

My Ride: E46, W201
Send a message via AIM to mrx733
put anti-seize or similar on the corners of pad
Old 08-11-2010, 04:30 PM   #6
rharris21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcns View Post
OP, take out the front pads.
file the leading and trailing edges of the brake pads at about 45 degrees.
Some pads are already manufactured with this angle, some are not. I have used this trick for 20 years and it works.
Thanks for the help. I am going to try this tomorrow and I will let you know how it goes!
Old 09-30-2010, 12:52 PM   #7
drfreeman

My Ride: 330i ZHP Titanium Si
I have the same problem. My front pad is almost gone but no warning light. It squeak when apply brake and squeak when slowly move away from stop sign. It stopped when reaching 10 mph. It squeak again on the driveway. So, I changed a pair new zimmerman rotor with hawk hps pad, the problem are the same. I suspect the squeak may related to wheel bearings ? or alignment issue. I have no clue
drfreeman is offline   Reply With Quote