E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-16-2010, 06:16 PM   #1
srivathson

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330i
Engine hissing noise

I have a 2003 330i sedan and started hearing a distinct hissing noise from the engine compartment right behind the oil dipstick. I took it in to the dealer since I had my inspection 1 service performed just a few days ago and the shop foreman said that he could not see any leaks and there was no fault code thrown. He said that it was a "normal" engine sound. Somehow I don't buy that and now I'm all freaked out. Any ideas? My car has around 83K miles.
srivathson is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:43 PM   #2
Jmanscotch

My Ride: makes my pants tight
Based on the description of the locating I would suspect your DISA valve has lost its tight seal. If not familiar with the DISA, search DISA and you'll find some videos of it and can compare to your exact sound/situation. It is pretty easy to remove (5-10 mins from hood open to close) and you can clean the seal or tighten it down to see if that fixes it.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:05 PM   #3
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmanscotch View Post
Based on the description of the locating I would suspect your DISA valve has lost its tight seal. If not familiar with the DISA, search DISA and you'll find some videos of it and can compare to your exact sound/situation. It is pretty easy to remove (5-10 mins from hood open to close) and you can clean the seal or tighten it down to see if that fixes it.
Or buy the new o-ring in advance (will prolly need to order it) and replace it...and maybe before hand, try taking a hose to isolate sound with and running it down the ccv hose from valve cover just behind oil filter housing cap...I know that can crack and also hiss. I had a hiss, did whole ccv and disa...no hiss...don't know which one...I did other stuff too, but no hiss anymore.

Also, intake boot elbow going to icv cracks and would hiss...sort of in that area too, upper intake has a hose that also can suck air, so a dab of rtv might seal that (little dab, you'll need it off again). If you did air filter recently, might've missed closing a bracket.

Use hose to isolate...if not there, check pulleys/belts...if only at start up, check SAP hoses...

HTH

Doug

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 08:06 PM   #4
haurelio

My Ride: 2001 bmw 325i
does it sound like a fan?
haurelio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 08:11 PM   #5
Jmanscotch

My Ride: makes my pants tight
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
Or buy the new o-ring in advance (will prolly need to order it) and replace it...and maybe before hand, try taking a hose to isolate sound with and running it down the ccv hose from valve cover just behind oil filter housing cap...I know that can crack and also hiss. I had a hiss, did whole ccv and disa...no hiss...don't know which one...I did other stuff too, but no hiss anymore.

Also, intake boot elbow going to icv cracks and would hiss...sort of in that area too, upper intake has a hose that also can suck air, so a dab of rtv might seal that (little dab, you'll need it off again). If you did air filter recently, might've missed closing a bracket.

Use hose to isolate...if not there, check pulleys/belts...if only at start up, check SAP hoses...

HTH

Doug
Didn't know you could get just the seal, cool.

Also, to elaborate on Dougs comment since you mentioned the mechanic didn't "see" any leaks (assuming this was referring to the intake tubes), there is often small tears that are hard to see/notice in these boots and when small, won't throw a code right away.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:14 PM   #6
franz

My Ride: 03 330i
It's the lower intake boot elbow, $14-20 part, 30-40 minutes.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:50 PM   #7
srivathson

Thanks all.

Doug: Any pictures/video that you can link me over to that shows the parts in question that I need to check?
franz: Where is the lower intake boot elbow? How easy is the replacement? links to DIY?
haurelio: No, doesn't sound like a fan. Its a constant hiss that does not change pitch with acceleration. just constantly there.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:57 PM   #8
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by srivathson View Post
Thanks all.

Doug: Any pictures/video that you can link me over to that shows the parts in question that I need to check?
franz: Where is the lower intake boot elbow? How easy is the replacement? links to DIY?
haurelio: No, doesn't sound like a fan. Its a constant hiss that does not change pitch with acceleration. just constantly there.
No pics...but you'll find them...the ccv hose I refer to is the only hose leaving the valve cover (on mine anyway...think 323s are different with the ccv hoses)...the intake boot mentioned a lot is at the bottom of the tube that runs aft of the air filter...through maf, upper intake boot then lower intake boot...which attaches to both throttle body and icv...a bit of a pain your first time...you could smoke the engine with carb cleaner a little and see if it revs up...if it does...air leak on intake side...not sure if ccv hose would be affected by it.

Anyway, use hose to isolate sound and you'll get pretty close. CCV valve also makes noises...I know it honks...don't think it hisses though...but that might have been my hiss, I suppose. Point with ccv is, if you do one hose, you'd be silly not to do whole system and be done with it.

HTH...Night!

Doug

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:14 PM   #9
franz

My Ride: 03 330i
http://www.bmw330ci.net/maintenance/tubeelbow.php and even if it's not this elbow it is guaranteed to be rotten by now, and you will be down there where the hiss is.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:14 AM   #10
srivathson

Thanks guys. I will try to look at this over the weekend and post an update
Old 09-29-2010, 10:17 PM   #11
CruzBMW

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325ci
After replacing my air intake boot, my engine doesn't run hard, not so much engine noise and It corrected the whistling sound. Now a hissing sound is noticeable. It's coming from the top near the dip stick and down wards. When replacing the boot, I did notice oil leakage on the engine. I'm having the ccv replaced and hopefully it will correct the hissing sound and oil leakage. I will leave an update after the job is done.

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp
CruzBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:29 PM   #12
haurelio

My Ride: 2001 bmw 325i
Quote:
After replacing my air intake boot, my engine doesn't run hard, not so much engine noise and It corrected the whistling sound. Now a hissing sound is noticeable. It's coming from the top near the dip stick and down wards. When replacing the boot, I did notice oil leakage on the engine. I'm having the ccv replaced and hopefully it will correct the hissing sound and oil leakage. I will leave an update after the job is done.
did you replace the upper and lower boots?
haurelio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:37 PM   #13
CruzBMW

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by haurelio View Post
did you replace the upper and lower boots?
I replaced the lower boot. It took care of the whistling sound and the rough start. Now there is a hissing sound. I'm hoping it is the ccv (oil sep.)

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	377799  
CruzBMW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, hissing, noise