E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-29-2010, 09:09 PM   #1
StlBlue325ci

My Ride: 04 BMW 325ci
Suspension Question

A little background, I'm and technician for BMW and MINI, so to deal with aftermarket suspension is very rare yet why im asking this question. Recently I was on Ocean City and it was H20 weekend saw lots of lowered VW's and Audi's. So now I want to lower my car a little bit more, I already have factory sport suspension. I've been looking at the H&R Cup Kit with sport springs, I want to know if anyone has these and do they like them. I really don't want to do a coilovers, I just want a little drop due to the car sits low enough already. I already plan to purchase camber correction kits with what ever kit I go with. Im also looking at getting some 18's(19's to big but might consider). On my old E36 I had UUC motorwerks tuned suspension set and like it, droped the car perfectly. Im even up for purchasing the sport spring set and then getting new shocks and struts to compensate for the spring rates.
StlBlue325ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:32 PM   #2
ECSTuning
Sponsor

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by StlBlue325ci View Post
A little background, I'm and technician for BMW and MINI, so to deal with aftermarket suspension is very rare yet why im asking this question. Recently I was on Ocean City and it was H20 weekend saw lots of lowered VW's and Audi's.

So now I want to lower my car a little bit more, I already have factory sport suspension. I've been looking at the H&R Cup Kit with sport springs, I want to know if anyone has these and do they like them. I really don't want to do a coilovers, I just want a little drop due to the car sits low enough already.

I already plan to purchase camber correction kits with what ever kit I go with. Im also looking at getting some 18's(19's to big but might consider). On my old E36 I had UUC motorwerks tuned suspension set and like it, droped the car perfectly. Im even up for purchasing the sport spring set and then getting new shocks and struts to compensate for the spring rates.

You are on the right track with H&R Cup Kits! If you are looking to achieve a slight drop without sacrificing ride quality, your best bet will be the H&R Touring Cup Kit.

Unlike competitors spring and shock kits H&R Cup Kits are not merely a 'matched' spring and shock package but rather a specially engineered 'solution' with springs and shocks being engineered individually in every application.

This takes the guess work out of your spring and shock selection and provides you with an application specific precisely calibrated spring and shock set designed to deliver improved handling, uncompromisable ride comfort, and sleek styling in one precision engineered package.

You will find all of the options available for your E46 below...

Click HERE for more information.

Sticking with what you know, known for their quality and finish we carry UUCs camber correction pieces as well.

Click HERE for more information.

Please let us know if you have any questions! Feel free to shoot me a PM or email.

Best,
Joe

Have questions? Need answers? Live Chat us! 8:30am to 12:00am Midnight EST
sales@ecstuning.com | customerservice@ecstuning.com
Customer Service Hours: M - F 8:00am - 8:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
Sales Team Hours: M - F 8:00am - 11:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST | 800.924.5172
Do you love surveys? Click HERE to take our Customer Satisfaction Survey!

Last edited by ECSTuning; 09-30-2010 at 12:33 PM.
ECSTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 05:08 PM   #3
StlBlue325ci

Thank you Joe, i will probably do that, cause the drop isn't to much lower but just right. now i do got one question, what wheel spacers do you recommend, i was thinking like 10mm or maybe even 15mm.
Old 09-30-2010, 05:10 PM   #4
StlBlue325ci

would you recommend the sport or touring cup kit.
Old 10-01-2010, 04:54 AM   #5
mkodama

Quote:
Depends on how much lower and stiffer you want to go. H&R has 3 sets of spring for the non-M E46, but used in 4 spring sets and 4 cup kits, so that gets kinda confusing, but the gist of it is that they have a low, lower, and lowest. 29485, 29484, and 50484-88 respectively being their part numbers.

If you look at their application guide on their website, you could probably figure out the rest of the details. You can put either sport package or non-sport package cupkits on your car, because those labels are mainly for advertising purposes.

My personal bit of input though, is that while the dampers that come with the H&R cupkits are a good value, they are also only so-so low-pressure twin-tube dampers like OEM, and you could get a good deal more performance and quality with not much more money going with some high-pressure mono-tube dampers like those of Koni's and Bilstein's Sport lines.

Last edited by mkodama; 10-01-2010 at 04:55 AM.
mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 07:48 AM   #6
ECSTuning
Sponsor

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Thank you Joe, i will probably do that, cause the drop isn't to much lower but just right. now i do got one question, what wheel spacers do you recommend, i was thinking like 10mm or maybe even 15mm.
The best way to understand which size spacer you need, is to simply measure from the top outside edge of your tire to the inner lip of you fender. This will give you the best idea on how much size you have to work with, and to decide on how much your wheels need spaced.

Once you know that let us know and I will be able to recommend which size will be the best fit for your application.

Here is a diagram that might help as well.

We have a complete line of spacers available specifically for your vehicle below...

Click HERE to order or for more information.

Quote:
It really depends on your end goals, the sport will be stiffer and handle slightly better, and the touring will perform better then stock yet retain your ride quality.

Please let us know if you have any questions! Feel free to shoot me a PM or email.

Best,
Joe

Have questions? Need answers? Live Chat us! 8:30am to 12:00am Midnight EST
sales@ecstuning.com | customerservice@ecstuning.com
Customer Service Hours: M - F 8:00am - 8:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
Sales Team Hours: M - F 8:00am - 11:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST | 800.924.5172
Do you love surveys? Click HERE to take our Customer Satisfaction Survey!
ECSTuning is offline   Reply With Quote