E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2010, 03:38 PM   #1
M3_POWER

My Ride: 2005 M3
*Hmm Instrument Cluster and Gauges Is Not Working, Great. What Can It Be?*

Well today when I started the car, the top three lights on my cluster light up (high beams, oil, and forgot the one left of the high beam). I turned the car off and back on, and to my surprise, nothing on the instrument cluster light up anymore, along with the gauges being dead (no tach, speed and coolant temp pegged to the right in the red). I'm sure the coolant gauge does that by default correct? My AC is acting weird now as well. It works, but the air isnt very cold (even on 59). Everytime I turn off the car and start it back up, the ABS and airbag light will turn on and goes away like it normally does. Then the same problem occurs, no displays on the cluster. I'm going to check the fuses, but I don't think it's that because the ABS and airbag light comes on then off when I start the car. I'm wondering if it's due to me hitting an animal that ripped my front bumper off and knocked some wiring around from underneath a few weeks ago. Any help would be really appreciated!

Last edited by M3_POWER; 10-05-2010 at 03:40 PM.
M3_POWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:15 PM   #2
ayogpradhan

My Ride: E46 M3&MKIV TT Supra
Why don't you try unplugging and resetting the cluster?
ayogpradhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:32 PM   #3
M3_POWER

My Ride: 2005 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayogpradhan View Post
Why don't you try unplugging and resetting the cluster?
How do you do that?
Old 10-06-2010, 02:22 AM   #4
ayogpradhan

My Ride: E46 M3&MKIV TT Supra

this might help you a little
ayogpradhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 08:52 PM   #5
-z0sick-

My Ride: z06
Ok so the same thing happened to me this morning. As some of you may know we've had a crazy amt of rain here in socal lately and I think that the moisture may be a culprit. Here are what my symptoms where and what I did to fix it:

Symptoms
* Speedo, Tach, Gas, Coolant Temp, MPG, Odo, gauges not working
* None of the steering wheel buttons are working
* Turn signals not working
* Fan works but A/C does not
* Radio works
* ABS and Seat Belt lights work
* Instrument cluster lights up

How I fixed it:

Tried to perform the Instrument Cluster Self Test (hold down the trip button, turn key to position 1) but that didn't do anything. VERY IMPORTANT: I then left the key in position 1 then opened up the fuse box and checked fuses 10, 34, and 43 by taking them out and putting them back in. All the fuses were fine BUT when I took out the last fuse (43) and put it back in I heard this strange motor sound and then magically the instrument cluster started working.

So leave the key in position 1, pull out and put back in each fuse one-by-one and see what happen
-z0sick- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:21 PM   #6
demolanike

My Ride: bmw
I WAS DRIVING MY 2003 BMW 330i TODAY AND ALL OF A SUDDEN THE BRAKE AND ABS LIGHTS ON THE CLUSTER CAME ON. I SWITCHED OFF THE ENGINE AND SWITCHED IT BACK ON, THOSE TWO INDICATOR LIGHTS WENT OFF AND AFTER SOME ,MINUTES IT CAME BACK ON AGAIN. CHECKED THE BRAKE OIL, BRAKE PADS EVERYTHING LOOKS FINE. SOMETIMES THE TWO INDICATOR LIGHTS WILL CHANGE FROM RED TO YELLOW. NOW AS I WAS COMMING BACK ON MY JOURNEY. THE ODOMETER GAUGE AND THE FUEL ECONOMY GAUGE STARTED ACTING ERRATIC AND AFTER SOME TIME ALSO STOPPED WORKING. WE HAD A SNOW STORM YESTERDAY AND IT ALSO RAINED ALSO. COULD IT BE BECAUSE OF THIS OR SOMETHING ELSE. I CHECKED THE FUSES CONTROLLING THE INSTRUMENT CLUSTER, ALL THREE FUSES ARE FINE. WHAT DO I DO? DOES ANYONE HAVE THE ANSWER?
demolanike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:06 AM   #7
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Coolant pegged to the red means the cluster lost communication with the DME. I would check the wiring and fuses
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:19 AM   #8
kaput

My Ride: 2002 M3 SMG
Send a message via AIM to kaput
Quote:
Originally Posted by demolanike View Post
I WAS DRIVING MY 2003 BMW 330i TODAY AND ALL OF A SUDDEN THE BRAKE AND ABS LIGHTS ON THE CLUSTER CAME ON. I SWITCHED OFF THE ENGINE AND SWITCHED IT BACK ON, THOSE TWO INDICATOR LIGHTS WENT OFF AND AFTER SOME ,MINUTES IT CAME BACK ON AGAIN. CHECKED THE BRAKE OIL, BRAKE PADS EVERYTHING LOOKS FINE. SOMETIMES THE TWO INDICATOR LIGHTS WILL CHANGE FROM RED TO YELLOW. NOW AS I WAS COMMING BACK ON MY JOURNEY. THE ODOMETER GAUGE AND THE FUEL ECONOMY GAUGE STARTED ACTING ERRATIC AND AFTER SOME TIME ALSO STOPPED WORKING. WE HAD A SNOW STORM YESTERDAY AND IT ALSO RAINED ALSO. COULD IT BE BECAUSE OF THIS OR SOMETHING ELSE. I CHECKED THE FUSES CONTROLLING THE INSTRUMENT CLUSTER, ALL THREE FUSES ARE FINE. WHAT DO I DO? DOES ANYONE HAVE THE ANSWER?
Vehicle Speed Sensor

2002 M3
kaput is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:08 PM   #9
M3FlyMe

My Ride: ///Mm Good
Send a message via AIM to M3FlyMe
Man this site/thread just saved me. Was driving to Albany from Syracuse and halfway there my turn signal indicators failed and my seatbelt light came on, even though it was buckled. Stopped at a rest area and checked them outside and they were working. So I continued the trip. Man I was dreading bringing it in to the dealer. Pulled fuse 43 and as soon as I did heard a motor/ratchet sound. Everything seems to be fine now. This is my go to first for anything that goes wrong with the ///M.