E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 4.33 average.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:50 PM   #21
N89

My Ride: 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Level View Post
Does it also make more noise (in addition to power) ?
You have to remember that this retails for $1000... not taking into consideration the new price drop, BMW wouldn't have wanted to disappoint it's customers who expected an upgrade... and like I've said, my theory is they know the engine since they built it, so if anyone can get power out of it it's them. At the current price it's at, it's a lot more competitive in regards to K&N and aFe and Dinan... I trust BMW more.

So does it make more noise and power than stock? It has to.

Anyone thinking about picking this up, BMWPartsSource has it cheaper than Tischer:
http://e46fanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=796407

Last edited by N89; 10-07-2010 at 07:54 PM.
N89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 07:59 PM   #22
OrientBlau

My Ride: 2003 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Level View Post
Does it also make more noise (in addition to power) ?

From the BMW wbsite:

Quote:
The BMW Performance Air Intake System captures all the air your engine can possibly use, then introduces it as evenly as the engine can possibly use it, in the highest possible density. It generates more complete and more explosive combustion—and a fuller expression of your engine's sheer power and torque.

Upgrading to a BMW Performance Air Intake System will unleash gains of up to 3 horsepower and 3 ft-lbs. of torque, while also helping the engine to operate more efficiently with a 30% reduction in back pressure and increased overall performance.

This dynamic breathing system was developed with computer simulations that revealed the optional size, shape, number and position of pathways that not only allow, but actually inspire the most unrestrained flow of fresh air.

The end result is a vehicle that responds to throttle inputs more robustly, and accelerates more energetically. It is not a coincidence that the innovative BMW Performance Air Intake System even makes your BMW sound faster.
OrientBlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 08:20 PM   #23
Low Level

My Ride: '88 M3
I guess it does, then.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:28 PM   #24
joneperry

My Ride: e46 + S60 + Z
wow that engine looks badass, congrats on the purchase i wish i could do the same.... does the intake use the same stock air filter or special highflow reusuable ones?
joneperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:47 PM   #25
Iceman00
I screwed up and can't post

My Ride: E90 6MT
There is a dyno of that intake in my dyno thread.
Iceman00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 10:01 PM   #26
Sansho

My Ride: 2001 325i
Quote:
does the intake use the same stock air filter or special highflow reusuable ones?
No, it doesn't use the same stock air filter. I don't have one (yet), so I don't know if it's reusable, however, a replacement filter is around $50.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:06 PM   #27
Au2bahn

My Ride: 05 330i ZHP,09 HCHII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sansho View Post
No, it doesn't use the same stock air filter. I don't have one (yet), so I don't know if it's reusable, however, a replacement filter is around $50.
It does not use the same stock filter element. It uses a specific BMW performance element. Part number 13720431649

Yes its like $53 or something.
Au2bahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 10:12 PM   #28
genuity

My Ride: '1 E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by estrellajon View Post
It does not use the same stock filter element. It uses a specific BMW performance element. Part number 13720431649

Yes its like $53 or something.
Replacing these puppies 2x a year...yikes! My regular one gets dirty at around 7500.

I wonder if it sounds any different...hopefully someone will post a video?
genuity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 10:45 PM   #29
N89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sansho View Post
Are you getting one too?
Old 10-07-2010, 10:47 PM   #30
Au2bahn

Oh yeah!! Ordered from Patrick first thing this morning. Been waiting for the intake to go down in price for months.

Last edited by Au2bahn; 10-07-2010 at 10:49 PM.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:50 PM   #31
N89

Quote:
Originally Posted by genuity View Post
Replacing these puppies 2x a year...yikes! My regular one gets dirty at around 7500.

I wonder if it sounds any different...hopefully someone will post a video?
Twice a year? I doubt it... plus it's not much more than a full tank a gas in the middle of summer...
Old 10-07-2010, 10:53 PM   #32
N89

Quote:
Oh yeah!! Ordered from Patrick first thing this morning. Been waiting for the intake to go down in price for months.
Awesome, post pics when you get it, I'm excited for it
I honestly never really considered it because of the price, and was always looking towards the aFe but with the price drop I really considered it... I wasn't even in the market for one just yet (a CAI) but I figured they're not making them anymore and now was the time to jump on them or it would be too late.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:00 PM   #33
Au2bahn

Quote:
Originally Posted by N89 View Post
Awesome, post pics when you get it, I'm excited for it
I honestly never really considered it because of the price, and was always looking towards the aFe but with the price drop I really considered it... I wasn't even in the market for one just yet (a CAI) but I figured they're not making them anymore and now was the time to jump on them or it would be too late.
Will do and you do the same. I got ripped on the Carbon strut brace when ECS had them for sale for $350 over the summer. I jumped on it and now its $260.

Someone did a dyno on the BMW performance intake and showed 11 hp.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:10 PM   #34
N89

Quote:
Will do and you do the same. I got ripped on the Carbon strut brace when ECS had them for sale for $350 over the summer. I jumped on it and now its $260.

Someone did a dyno on the BMW performance intake and showed 11 hp.
I hope so, I hope the sound is significant enough since that's the main reason I want it, and of course the gain I can appreciate as well. Hey $350 still isn't bad compared to the $1,000 retail lol... at least you're gonna have a sexy engine bay lol
Old 10-07-2010, 11:15 PM   #35
Au2bahn

Heard it on youtube before. Definitely louder.

Sent from my DROIDX using BimmerApp

ESS TS2 - VMR V710 19" wheels - KW Coilovers - 3.46 Diff - Macht Schnell 5mm Rear Spacers - BMW Performance BBK w/ floating rotors -
BMW Performance Strut Brace - BMW Performance Air Intake - BMW Performance SSK/DSSR - Hawk HPS Brake Pads - SS Brake Lines -
OEM M3 RTAB w/ Vorshlag Limiters - Meyle HD FCAB - TMS Sway Bars w/ adjustable links - AEM Digital Boost Gauge -
Stewart w/p - 6K HID Fogs - Swain Coated Magnaflow headers
Old 10-07-2010, 11:46 PM   #36
lejeunebimmer

My Ride: 02' M3 SMG, 02' 330i
Hmmmm I think I may have to sell my Dinan and get this....

OEM BMW for approx the same as Dinan, and it has carbon fiber goodness, I think I will!!!!
330i - AA Tuned, Headers, UUC Stage I LW FW, e36 M3 Clutch, UUC SS Clutch line, BMW Performance Intake, Evo Sport Pulleys, BMW Performance Cross-Drilled Rotors, Hawk HPS, BW SS Brake Lines, BW Solid Guide Bushings, BMW Performance CF Strut Brace, H&R Sways, H&R Sport Springs, Bilstein Sport Shocks, Powerflex Bushings, LED Tails, Clear Sides/Turns, Black Grill, Mtech 2, CF Splitters

M3 - Not enough room to list
lejeunebimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 12:22 AM   #37
N89

It looks tons better than the Dinan box!
Old 10-08-2010, 12:26 AM   #38
TxTorqueMade

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via Yahoo to TxTorqueMade
Thinking Id like all that in my engine bay. Strut and airbox would make it sooo nice.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:28 AM   #39
lejeunebimmer

My Ride: 02' M3 SMG, 02' 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by N89 View Post
It looks tons better than the Dinan box!
I know, but back in Jan when I got the Dinan, the BMW was still like 600
and Dinan isn't bad at all but jeez I would kill to have this (maybe not kill but you know what I mean!)

So I just posted my Dinan as for sale, if anyone is interested you should go check out my thread in the Engine/driveline section of the classifieds!
330i - AA Tuned, Headers, UUC Stage I LW FW, e36 M3 Clutch, UUC SS Clutch line, BMW Performance Intake, Evo Sport Pulleys, BMW Performance Cross-Drilled Rotors, Hawk HPS, BW SS Brake Lines, BW Solid Guide Bushings, BMW Performance CF Strut Brace, H&R Sways, H&R Sport Springs, Bilstein Sport Shocks, Powerflex Bushings, LED Tails, Clear Sides/Turns, Black Grill, Mtech 2, CF Splitters

M3 - Not enough room to list
lejeunebimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 01:28 AM   #40
Azban

My Ride: 2003 325i
anyone know if it will fit the M56 engine?
Azban is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bmw performance, carbon fiber, filter, intake, performance, strut bar, strut brace