E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2010, 12:01 PM   #1
323tom

My Ride: Turbo 323 ;)
Heading to the dragstrip tonight any tips?

Hey guys I'm heading to a dynojet to do a few pulls and then drag strip tonight, any tips guys? What rpms should I launch at (6spd manual tranny) I have a massive sub setup in my trunk, should I pull it out or keep it in? Seems like it holds me to the grown quite well, also do I lower the psi in my tires? Sorry for the noob questions this will be my First time heading to a drag strip I will be on street tires, should I heat them up right before I go down the strip? Thanks!

Last edited by 323tom; 10-08-2010 at 12:02 PM.
323tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:16 PM   #2
nickr519

My Ride: ZX-10R, Ram 2500
In for advice about the sub setup, I know weight reduction is always good but I wonder if with e46 traction issues with fr that it might end up helping... Good luck op, tire pressure will probably be lowered depending on what tires you're running but it will take some experimenting to get it right. Try dropping 2 psi in the rears per run launch rpm constant and see where that gets you. Also make sure to max out pressure in the fronts for less rolling resistance.
'01 GSX-R600 - sold
'97 Ram 2500
'06 ZX-10R
nickr519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 12:25 PM   #3
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Forget about going fast. You are there to have fun, don't let you expectations over ET and MPH ruin the experience.

Just focus on making as many passes as possible...the rest you'll be able to figure out pretty easily once you get more comfortable. You will be nervous, and that will affect your "performance" more than optimizing launch RPM, tire pressures, or shift points.

I've made hundreds of passes down the drag strip, and I still mess up.....
PEI330Ci is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 12:40 PM   #4
323tom

Hey ya I wonder about the traction with or without sub, I think it will help but will see I'm going to try with and without the sub box...thx for the suggestions!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickr519 View Post
In for advice about the sub setup, I know weight reduction is always good but I wonder if with e46 traction issues with fr that it might end up helping... Good luck op, tire pressure will probably be lowered depending on what tires you're running but it will take some experimenting to get it right. Try dropping 2 psi in the rears per run launch rpm constant and see where that gets you. Also make sure to max out pressure in the fronts for less rolling resistance.
Haha thx PEI you always know how to cheer someone up Ill keep you guys updated when I get back from the strip, should be lots of fun!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI330Ci View Post
Forget about going fast. You are there to have fun, don't let you expectations over ET and MPH ruin the experience.

Just focus on making as many passes as possible...the rest you'll be able to figure out pretty easily once you get more comfortable. You will be nervous, and that will affect your "performance" more than optimizing launch RPM, tire pressures, or shift points.

I've made hundreds of passes down the drag strip, and I still mess up.....
Old 10-08-2010, 12:43 PM   #5
faelar
Big Pimpin'

My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 323tom View Post
any tips guys?
Keep in mind that drag racing breaks stuff. If your car is a daily driver and you rely upon it to get to work etc.. you need to be prepared in case you break something.

I've got years of drag racing experience and no matter how well you build your car, or what level of power it puts down.. **** will break.

If you are unsure how to launch your car, you increase that potential 10 fold.

I hate to be the bummer.. but you should consider this before going to the track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saad@SaadRacing View Post
Chad's car is being taken care of and I can tell you when it comes back he and his car will be your worst f***ing nightmare.
faelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 12:44 PM   #6
330i ZHP

My Ride: have 5 doors and FI
Send a message via AIM to 330i ZHP Send a message via Yahoo to 330i ZHP
lose weight and agreed to what ^ said - the stickier surface def can break things

Last edited by 330i ZHP; 10-08-2010 at 12:47 PM.
330i ZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 12:45 PM   #7
howie

My Ride: CLK55 AMG, E90 335i
Send a message via AIM to howie Send a message via Yahoo to howie
leave the sub box in there...a few extra pounds won't do you any good your first time out there.

1. don't heat up street tires
2. don't roll thru the water unless u plan on spinning 1/2 way down the track
3. don't fck with your tire pressure, you're not on slicks
4. don't launch at too high of an rpm or you'll spin
5. Don't miss shifts...that's just a waste of a run
6. get as many runs as possible while adjusting to your prev short comings

last but not least, have fun and don't over diagnose your times. Find the right launch point, watch the tree, and improve your times run by run.
howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 12:50 PM   #8
323tom

Lol that's common sense, this car is not my
DD, I dont plan on breaking anything as I'm not there to set any records so ill be doing somewhat "mild" launches, my car was built earlier this summer from
Ground up, every bushing and every suspension component was replaced as my car underwent the s54 swap+stg 2 HPF but like
U said stuff breaks no matter how well you have prepared the car, that's why i won't be launching hard and just have some fun as I can't on the street obviously! Thanks for the input though, to bad I don't have a trailer or I would strap it to my parents x3 and then I would launch as hard as I want but I need to drive the car home in one piece lol

P.s what do you mean by 10 fold? I'm assuming go up by 1000 rpm?

Last edited by 323tom; 10-08-2010 at 12:54 PM.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:04 PM   #9
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by faelar View Post
Keep in mind that drag racing breaks stuff. If your car is a daily driver and you rely upon it to get to work etc.. you need to be prepared in case you break something.

I've got years of drag racing experience and no matter how well you build your car, or what level of power it puts down.. **** will break.

If you are unsure how to launch your car, you increase that potential 10 fold.

I hate to be the bummer.. but you should consider this before going to the track.
I have no idea what you are talking about.
PEI330Ci is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 01:59 PM   #10
faelar
Big Pimpin'

My Ride: M3
Quote:
I dont plan on breaking anything....

P.s what do you mean by 10 fold? I'm assuming go up by 1000 rpm?
None of us "plan" on breaking anything when we go to the track, but you should have a plan in case you do.

In regards to "10 fold", the point I was making is if you are asking on an internet forum how to launch your car it would be safe to assume you have limited experience at a drag strip.

A drag strip is NOT the same as the street. Many tracks put VHT and other compounds on the track surface to make them "sticky". An improper launch can easily break axles. An inexperienced driver can cook a clutch.

There is a humorous video about this very topic that has circulated on numerous forums for a few years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saad@SaadRacing View Post
Chad's car is being taken care of and I can tell you when it comes back he and his car will be your worst f***ing nightmare.
faelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 02:22 PM   #11
M5chas

My Ride: e90 m3 + cornfed gtr
Drive around the water box, and then do a quick burnout to get all the crap off your tires. You don't need to heat street tires, but it is nice to have all the junk off them. Don't run your ac because you will leak condensation on the track. In your car, the most fun will really be the back half, so just get a clean launch and enjoy the ride!
Old 10-08-2010, 02:44 PM   #12
Activ3

My Ride: gets DRIVEN.
Send a message via AIM to Activ3
Like M5chas said, don't do a real burnout, just spin them a little to clean any debris off of the tires. Also definitely avoid the water box when staging.

I think lowering PSI in the rear tires does make a difference, but it will depend on what profile tire you're running as well. My best ET was done with tons of weight in the trunk and with the tires nearly 10psi below what I run on the street.

Activ3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 02:57 PM   #13
yellowssm

My Ride: 2005 M3
Ive been there a few times and I found it better when I kept more than half a tank of gas in and the rear seats in (maybe the condition were just bad that night) Im gonna head out again soon. I also ran better with the sport button on because I guess normally I didnt give it enough gas off the line and the sport button helped me there. Dont launch too high cause you dont wanna break something plus youre not gonna get traction anyways at full throttle in 1st or 2nd on street tires. GL
Old 10-08-2010, 03:00 PM   #14
musashi27

My Ride: E46 325Ci
I gotta tip for ya: Don't die!
musashi27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 04:53 PM   #15
forcefedvw

My Ride: 03' Z4 '00 VW
on the last yellow light hit it you might red light the first time but if you time it just right youll be out of the whole faster. time that 60' and its that 1/4 sec in a race that could determine a win or a loss.

If your concerned about weight pull a seat/sub, clean the car, if its traction drop some pressure and focus on consistancy. think bracket racing not heads up. the better you get in bracket the better youll be at heads up. Also go around the water box.

and always just go have fun. and if you break anything so what thats all in the sport of racing. its a plus to upgrade.

Innovative Performance

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Innova...609652?sk=info
2JZ-GTE Conversions & GM LS-Engine Conversions

Last edited by forcefedvw; 10-08-2010 at 04:58 PM.
forcefedvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 06:50 PM   #16
323tom

Hey guys just finished a dyno Session but my car wouldn't go past 6500 so I guess I have to send the ecu to ESS to put the car into permanent dyno mode, off to get some grub then the drag strip it is! Keep you guys updated
Old 10-08-2010, 07:18 PM   #17
yellowssm

My Ride: 2005 M3
Quote:
Hey guys just finished a dyno Session but my car wouldn't go past 6500 so I guess I have to send the ecu to ESS to put the car into permanent dyno mode, off to get some grub then the drag strip it is! Keep you guys updated
forgot to tell you about that. Theres a way to trick it into letting you do it but to late now. GL, youre gonna surprise a few people im sure. TAKE SOME VIDEOS!!!!
Old 10-08-2010, 07:50 PM   #18
323tom

Damn I just finished eating and the track is still a hour away, not worth going for a hour... I'll be going next Friday now, if I didnt wait 3 hours in traffic to get to a useless dyno session I would be at the track now
Old 10-09-2010, 08:42 AM   #19
howie

My Ride: CLK55 AMG, E90 335i
Send a message via AIM to howie Send a message via Yahoo to howie
l

o

l
howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 12:23 PM   #20
323tom

I'll be going the track next Friday no point in going for less than a hour, the traffic was crazy last night as it's thanks giving weekend here, took me 3 hours to get to a dyno appointment that should have taken 45 min to get to... Just picked up my new tires for my new rims but I won't be using this setup until next season 275/35/18 all around : ) going to test fit next week though so I'll post pics up!