E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 212 votes, 4.98 average.
Old 10-09-2010, 02:50 PM   #261
immigrant

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330CI
Send a message via MSN to immigrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
I added at high speeds. I just want it to play so the passangers can watch maybe music videos or something.
immigrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 03:07 PM   #262
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
on the V5 you dont need to ground the pink wire, you can just turn the video lockout function off in the settings menu. "Brake" setting...

LATEST DYNAVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1044105
DYNAVIN FAQ:http://www.jandtdistributing.com/pages/faq-links
///AVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1015704
TO BUY http://jandtdistributing.com

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 10-09-2010 at 03:45 PM.
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 03:33 PM   #263
delmarco

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
Quote:
Originally Posted by immigrant View Post
I added at high speeds. I just want it to play so the passangers can watch maybe music videos or something.
oh ok.

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 03:36 PM   #264
delmarco

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
You don't have a cd53 radio or even a dash radio you have a dash navigation monitor with a trunk based radio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honro View Post
Well i peeled back all the trim to find this;

It was a mold that held a cluster of units together. I could not tell what was what so i marked the cables that i could find. Below are the closeup photos of each set of cables...

And the second set of cables around the back.

I had a real good look around and there are no other cables or plugs in or around that cluster of units.

Hope that helps

Also Jeff, i dont know why that email address bounced but your more then welcome to try: Honroman@gmail.com

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 09:18 PM   #265
Honro

My Ride: M3 E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
You don't have a cd53 radio or even a dash radio you have a dash navigation monitor with a trunk based radio.
that sounds exactly right. I rang BMW and got them to confirm that i do NOT have nav in the car, but i DO have the Dash NAV Monitor installed.

So, for the love of god, i hope someone knows a way around it... Cause i dont like the idea of spending almost $700 for something that i cant get working
Honro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 09:22 PM   #266
WanderLustMan

My Ride: 05 M3 Mystic Blue
HOWTO: Install Dynavin E46 v5 head unit in an E46 2005 M3 w/ OEM Navigation

Hey all, I created a HOWTO for people with the OEM navigation. It's at my blog in the link below and I've posted the body of it here (formatting is a bit jacked but you get the gist).

OEM NAV Dynavin HOWTO

There are guides online (and from Jeff himself) about installing a Dynavin if you have a Business CD radio in an E46. What I could not find was specific information on how to do it for an E46 with OEM Navigation. The setup is different because most of the electronics are located in the back of the car so it requires a bit more work than a car without Navigation.

***NOTE***: Jeff provides a very comprehensive guide for the standard non-Nav install so I won't go into detail on those steps here. *These are the OEM Navigation specific parts of the install that you can use in addition to what Jeff provides.

GOOD READS BEFORE STARTING

DICE Installation Guide - gives you a good sense of how to remove the items in the trunk and how running the cables to the front will work

REQUIRED ITEMS:

- Dynavin E46
- 3 Cables (let's call it the "Fakra Cable Kit"). All three of these can be purchased from JEff:
1. Fakra 5M extension cable (needed for NAV cars in order to connect the Dynavin to the sound system in the trunk)
2. Antenna extension cable
3. Steering wheel control extension
- Tools:
1. Flat head screwdriver
2. Phillips screwdriver
3. Butter knife wrapped in electrical tape or a trim removal tool
4. Nail file (very important, needed to remove head unit)

STEP 1: Organize parts before starting
Below is what comes in the box from Jeff.

wpid-wpid-p1020294-2010-10-9-10-311-2010-10-9-10-31.jpg

Below are the parts you will not need (or the parts that are optional) for the OEM Nav installation. From left to right:

• (2) Line Output Converters - these are installed at the trunk end of the Fakra cable if you’d like and hear noise from the system after your install. Mine is fine so far so I have not installed these. It would require splicing the Fakra cable and putting these inline matching the colors on each box to the colors on the Fakra cable.

• External bluetooth microphone - so far so good with the in-unit microphone so I have not installed this yet

• Steering wheel control cable - you will replace this with the extension that is part of the “Fakra Cable Kit” above.

• Antenna plug - I have a 2005 car, so I did not use this part, used the other one that comes in the package

• Remote control - probably never going to use it

• USB cable - I'm not sure where this goes or what the purpose is. *Maybe to connect a USB device to the front port on the Dynavin?

• Dynavin Harness - This is confusing in the instructions for the non-NAV units. *You do not need this at all. *It is replaced by the Fakra cable. *So put it away as soon as you unbox the package.

wpid-wpid-p1020345-2010-10-9-10-31-2010-10-9-10-31.jpg

STEP 2: Remove trim above glovebox and nav console

It's pretty easy to remove the trim above the glove box and the navigation console. *Just be careful and deliberate and if you follow Jeff's instructions you should be fine.

Here is what my car looks like with the trim removed:

Remove the vents per the instructions in Jeff's guide. *Wasn't as hard as it seemed. *Just be deliberate, pull out and up and the vents should come out.

Step 3: Remove the OEM Navigation console

Once you have removed the two screws on top of the console you need to remove the two silver ones on the bezel of the OEM Nav itself before you can pull the console out. *If you try to pull the radio out after removing the screws you will see that it will not budge much at all. *I tried for a long time until I searched around and realized that the OEM Nav has two tabs located on the bottom bezel (at the right and left edges) that keep the radio in place. *You need to push these tabs down in order to slide the radio out.

First press the eject button with the power on to open the radio so you can access these magical tabs. *Disconnect the battery in the trunk once the radio is open to avoid it closing again.

Here is the approximate location of the tabs. *Insert the nail file into one side until it clicks and then pull that side of the radio out a bit. *Then repeat it for the other side. *Once that's done, the radio should slide out quite easily. *It will be connected by a blue and a white plug only. *To remove the plugs, you have to press the locking mechanism on each plug that holds the grey bracket in place. *Then you push the grey bracket down and it will force each plug out.

Now you should place the OEM console aside. *I plan to sell it on eBay to recoup some of the cost. *Now let's move to the trunk and start running the cables to the front into the hole we just created.

Step 4: Remove old BM53 system and DVD navigation drive

Once you remove the side carpet (see DICE instructions above in the GOOD READS) and disconnect the battery you should be looking at something like this:

Remove the screws with washers holding the DVD drive and the silver BM53 Radio. *The plug that is connected to the silver radio is what you will plug into your Fakra cable as seen below:

Fakra cable connected.

Step 5: Run "Fakra Cable Kit" to the front of car

The Fakra cable is connected. *Now we need to connect the other two cables that go to the front, the antenna extension and the steering wheel control extension. *The antenna extension connects to the black and pink colored connector that was plugged into the BM53 radio originally. *The steering wheel control box connects to a wire that comes out of the Fakra cable. *The extension then connects to that box. *You can see that in the picture below:

Since I wasn't installing a rear camera I took the AMP Con, Rear Camera and Parking cables coming out of the Fakra and simply wrapped them in electrical tape to make sure they didn't cause any problems.

After I did this, I simply lowered removed the back bottom cushion of seats and lowered the back seats to get the three cables to the front. *I did tuck the cables under the driver's side cushion near the windows and then ran them along the bottom of the back seats. *I didn't want to do the whole cable install until I knew the system was working.

Now remove the glove box as per the instructions in the DICE Installation linked at the top of the post. *It involves taking out 5 screws. *Very easy. Once you run the three cables haphazardly through the glove box they should poke out of the console like this:

Step 6: Install GPS antenna, other cables and test the Dynavin unit

First place the GPS antenna in the right spot. *I put mine on top of the metal bar behind where the Dynavin is going to go.

Now it's time to plug in a bunch of cables into the Dynavin. *I plugged in the following to the unit:

• GPS antenna

• Fakra cable

• Antenna extension

• After the unit was in the console I plugged in these as well:

• Steering wheel control into IR input

• USB extension (routed to glovebox for now)

• iPhone connection (routed to glovebox for now)

• Aux in for random audio connection (routed to glovebox for now)

Once those are all in, you need to start to insert the Dynavin unit into the console slot. *It's easier with the Nav unit because there is more room in the console since there are less wires. *Just remember to have the plugs come out through the top where the vents are. *Jeff has good instructions on how to push the unit back into the compartment.

Here's the unit ready to test after I pushed it back into the spot:

Now recheck all connections, make sure nothing is connected where it shouldn't be and then replug in the battery. *If all goes well you will be greeted with something like this. *WOOHOO!

At this point I tested all the functions: *played radio, used navigation, used music from USB, played a DVD, etc.

Once I knew everything was working then I proceeded to close everything up and route the cables properly.

Step 7: Put console back together, route cables properly and close up

Tuck the rest of the unused connections into the console and out of the way of the vents. *Plug the vents back into place. *Put the two black screws that hold the vents in place back in (they also hold the Dynavin in place). *Before tightening them, make sure everything looks square and in the correct place.

Replace the center trim and the passenger side trim. *Next move below to the glovebox and start routing the cables properly. *You have to tuck them in under the plastic molding along the passenger door. *I put the antenna extension and the steering wheel extension into the molding first and used the thicker Fakra cable to hold those cables tucked in under the molding.

***CAUTION***: *The antenna extension cable is just barely long enough to reach the trunk. *If I were to do it again, I would have it take up less space in the glovebox to give me some more slack in the trunk.

Once that is all done, replace the back seat cushion, put the carpet back in the trunk, clean up all the loose ends and you are done. *This is how mine looks like now .

That is the install. I’m pretty happy with the new system. There is a lot of playing around you can do with the software and I’m just jumping into that. The first thing I’m going to do is

a) mod the harness in the trunk to power the button lights and

b) install iGo Primo as the navigation software.

If you have any questions please let me know.

Last edited by WanderLustMan; 10-09-2010 at 09:57 PM.
WanderLustMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 09:40 PM   #267
JS330

My Ride: '01 330Ci 3 Pedals
How hard was this job to do, I have a 4:3 non nave monitor and your tutorial was excellent

Would there be any thing different you might su ggest for me, btw i live in Australia so right hand drive here
JS330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 09:58 PM   #268
WanderLustMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarryd_stephens View Post
How hard was this job to do, I have a 4:3 non nave monitor and your tutorial was excellent

Would there be any thing different you might su ggest for me, btw i live in Australia so right hand drive here
It was not hard at all, just took some time since it was my first time doing anything like this. Not sure how the non-nav monitor works but I imagine the electronics are in the trunk as well? If so then you can follow what I did.
Old 10-09-2010, 10:00 PM   #269
Darkoz

My Ride: E46 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderLustMan View Post
Hey all, I created a HOWTO for people with the OEM navigation. It's at my blog in the link below and I've posted the body of it here (formatting is a bit jacked but you get the gist).

OEM NAV Dynavin HOWTO.............................
Fantastic and detailed writeup, this should clear things up for those who have the OEM nav, well done.

Last edited by Darkoz; 10-09-2010 at 10:02 PM.
Darkoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 10:11 PM   #270
JS330

Is the non nav monitor a different harness setup

I have tv but no nav and have wondered if they were different
Old 10-09-2010, 11:04 PM   #271
Honro

My Ride: M3 E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarryd_stephens View Post
Is the non nav monitor a different harness setup

I have tv but no nav and have wondered if they were different
Im with you jarryd, it seems you and i have the same setup.

We got the Non Nav monitor (16:9) and we didnt get the BM53 radio... Im hoping to god there is another way to wire it up because it doesnt seem like we have the same plugs as these guys
Honro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 12:09 AM   #272
ciscokiddd

My Ride: 1999, 323i
Ipod Feature - Album Cover Art?

Do the new ipod features on V5 include the ability to dispay the album cover art? Didn't see it on any of the photos but I'd thought I'd ask. Great forum by the way. Bought my Dynavin about two months ago. Bummed I didn't wait.
ciscokiddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 12:19 AM   #273
JS330

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honro View Post
Im with you jarryd, it seems you and i have the same setup.

We got the Non Nav monitor (16:9) and we didnt get the BM53 radio... Im hoping to god there is another way to wire it up because it doesnt seem like we have the same plugs as these guys

i havent opened up the boot (trunk) and looked at what radio is configured, i was just wondering if it possible for the setup in my car because im already saving up for this unit

is there a difference between the non nav and nav computer, apart from the gps and guidance system

do we even need the fakra cable considering there is only link to rear tv anetenna?
Old 10-10-2010, 11:31 AM   #274
lfhdez

My Ride: 2004 BMW 325i
Send a message via AIM to lfhdez Send a message via Yahoo to lfhdez

What's the second LOC for? where does it go?

NVM

Transmitido en español por SAP

Last edited by lfhdez; 10-10-2010 at 11:35 AM. Reason: found the answer.
lfhdez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 11:46 AM   #275
WanderLustMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfhdez View Post

What's the second LOC for? where does it go?

NVM
Both of them go inline on the Fakra cable if you need to install them. At least that is my understanding.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:03 PM   #276
J&T Distributing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciscokiddd View Post
Do the new ipod features on V5 include the ability to dispay the album cover art? Didn't see it on any of the photos but I'd thought I'd ask. Great forum by the way. Bought my Dynavin about two months ago. Bummed I didn't wait.
no album art....

Old 10-10-2010, 02:29 PM   #277
lfhdez

My Ride: 2004 BMW 325i
Send a message via AIM to lfhdez Send a message via Yahoo to lfhdez
for all the peeps who have installed theirs already, Have you had better results with the external mic or the built-in? Also, if I connect the external, does it override automatically the built-in? or is there something in the settings where you can choose one or the other?

Transmitido en español por SAP
lfhdez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 03:24 PM   #278
WanderLustMan

posted in the wrong thread before

question for Darkoz or someone else. If I run WolfNCU on the Dynavin, can the MP3 player software read the USB drives that are attached to the USB extensions on the Dynavin or am I limited to playing music from the microSD card that I use to run all the other software?
Old 10-10-2010, 03:26 PM   #279
J&T Distributing

Haha.... I just answered it on the other thread

Old 10-10-2010, 03:45 PM   #280
WanderLustMan

cool, thanks man.

what about this one? Can the iGO 8.3.4 software run both Navteq and TeleAtlas maps? I'm wondering because there are two versions here but the TeleAtlas seems much more recent.

http://www.igo-maps.info/nac.php