E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-07-2010, 05:38 AM   #41
Darkoz

My Ride: E46 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke.togo View Post
What are you guys using for the entry point back into the trunk for the camera wiring?

Hole drilled through the trunk, behind the removable lip? Or is there a way to fish wire through the existing bundle/grommet (for the lights/trunk release button) in the lip?
If you use either the keyhole or license plate light camera you just use the existing factory wiring openings, no need to drill anything.

Last edited by Darkoz; 10-07-2010 at 05:53 AM.
Darkoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 05:12 AM   #42
Darkoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkoz View Post
OK chaps, can one of you knowledgeable guys help me out with one minor issue.
Camera is installed in the number plate light location and fits perfectly, check, power wire to the inbuilt camera LED is spliced into the number plate light wire, check, power wire from the camera is spliced into the reverse light harness, check.

Plugged the supplied video RCA cable into the camera which is then plugged into the reversing camera cable at the back of the Dynavin, check, tested the camera and picture on the Dynavin screen is good, check, however I can only get the picture to come on by manually pressing the camera icon on the Dynavin main screen, it doesn't trigger automatically when I put the car in reverse which I thought by splicing the camera's power wire into the reverse light wiring was supposed to do.
So I have missed something but have no idea what it is.
Anyone knowledgable about this point me in the right direction?
Old 10-08-2010, 05:31 AM   #43
shannon1

My Ride: 2001, 318i
The camera should also have a signal wire that needs to be run to front of the car along with the rca and plugs into the back of the dynavin, that's what activated the automatic switch over. Have you got that? It should plug into the female bullet connector on the pink wire (I think) in the back of the Dynavin.

Last edited by shannon1; 10-08-2010 at 05:34 AM.
shannon1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 06:11 AM   #44
Darkoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon1 View Post
The camera should also have a signal wire that needs to be run to front of the car along with the rca and plugs into the back of the dynavin, that's what activated the automatic switch over. Have you got that?
Yes, the supplied 5m camera RCA cable does have a thin wire connected to it at both ends but with no plugs on the ends, just bare wire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon1 View Post
It should plug into the female bullet connector on the pink wire (I think) in the back of the Dynavin.
As shown in the pic, I don't see this additional female "bullet" connector at the back of the Dynavin, only the Rear Camera IN cable

Last edited by Darkoz; 10-08-2010 at 06:12 AM.
Darkoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 07:08 AM   #45
TRBOVNM

My Ride: 04 330 CI/04 Cobra
Send a message via AIM to TRBOVNM
darkoz, the extra bullet connector is in the other harness. I saw it last night when I pulled mine out of the box. You know that harness with like 15 bullet connectors on it. connects to the dynavin and factory harness. so yes, it is there, just looking in the wrong place.
TRBOVNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:26 AM   #46
shannon1

My Ride: 2001, 318i
That's right it a part of the main speaker and power harness, the one that also has the steering control box and ground wire for DVD/tv whilst driving.

shannon1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:32 AM   #47
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
There is another wire that is marked that you run to the glovebox and tie into the fuse system.
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:26 PM   #48
Darkoz

Ah!...now I get it, thanks for clearing that up guys, much appreciated
Old 10-08-2010, 11:06 PM   #49
TRBOVNM

Lol, no thanks needed because I know I will be asking some questions soon.

Basically, just tie that wire from the dynavin to the reverse light like the power wire from the camera. (thanks jeff)
Old 10-11-2010, 10:27 AM   #50
lfhdez

My Ride: 2004 BMW 325i
Send a message via AIM to lfhdez Send a message via Yahoo to lfhdez
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
Could someone who has already installed the camera post up a quick diagram of each wire and where it's supposed to go?

Transmitido en espaņol por SAP
lfhdez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 06:26 PM   #51
johnt1436

My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfhdez View Post
Could someone who has already installed the camera post up a quick diagram of each wire and where it's supposed to go?
I would appreciate this too very much.
Thanks in advance.

John

2001 M3 Convertible, Carbon Black - Daily Driver
2007 328i Convertible, Atlantic Blue - Wife's car
2003 X5 4.4i - Grocery-getter
johnt1436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 09:15 PM   #52
TRBOVNM

not very hard. obviously the video cable goes from camera up to the radio. then you have a power and ground with that other harness. ground is just your typical ground. power you get from the reverse lights. I don't know the color, I am just going to use my multi meter to test the wires. you also need to run a wire from the dynavin to the same reverse wire. on the dynavin you will see a rca cable for the reverse camera and you will see a single wire as well labeled the same or similar. I would just tape a single wire to the video cable that came with the camera so you can just run them both at the same time together.

Last edited by TRBOVNM; 10-11-2010 at 09:16 PM.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:43 AM   #53
Darkoz

Quote:
This might help.........
Old 10-14-2010, 08:10 PM   #54
lfhdez

Thank Darkoz...
I guess the other question would be... Do you guys think it might be a problem if I hook the camera to constant power instead of the reverse light? that way the camera could be on all the time. I'm not saying I would really need it, but hey, it might be kinda nice to have it. Then, all I would need to do is hook the trigger wire to the reverse light's positive and I would trigger the camera whenever I go in reverse...

Old 10-14-2010, 08:55 PM   #55
Darkoz

Quote:
Thank Darkoz...
I guess the other question would be... Do you guys think it might be a problem if I hook the camera to constant power instead of the reverse light? that way the camera could be on all the time. I'm not saying I would really need it, but hey, it might be kinda nice to have it. Then, all I would need to do is hook the trigger wire to the reverse light's positive and I would trigger the camera whenever I go in reverse...
You could try it but what I found though is that when you then connect to the reverse trigger wire you cannot manually turn the camera on via the camera icon on the main screen.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:48 PM   #56
lfhdez

Quote:
You could try it but what I found though is that when you then connect to the reverse trigger wire you cannot manually turn the camera on via the camera icon on the main screen.
lame... I guess that doesn't work then... oh well...

Old 10-15-2010, 03:08 AM   #57
Honro

My Ride: M3 E46
Quote:
I started my camera install tonight and am halfway through due to a slight mishap.
While I was taping the end of the AV cable to a wire to fish the cable through the rubber hose I pulled a bit too tight and snapped off the pin on the AV plug.....fvck!
So now will have to go and buy another AV cable tomorrow so I can finish the job.
This is camera I got, it's a perfect fit due to the depth of the casing being shallow so no modification at all is neccessary.........
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Im new to reverse cameras. But does the LED on this camera say on if your driving at night (you have ur headlights on) - or does the light only activate when reverse is selected??
Honro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 03:44 AM   #58
Darkoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honro View Post
Im new to reverse cameras. But does the LED on this camera say on if your driving at night (you have ur headlights on) - or does the light only activate when reverse is selected??
You splice the power wire from the LED to your existing number plate light power wire so it functions just like your existing number plate lights when you turn your car's lights on.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:51 PM   #59
e46pauler

My Ride: '05 330i ZHP
Anyone who ordered this reverse camera from China know how long shipping took? I want to get this thing in ASAP before exams start up again :o

I hate shipping.
e46pauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 09:30 PM   #60
Tchleung

My Ride: 02 M3
I have a Boyo VT350 I think it was, fits into the rear key hole in the trunk lid. Although it fits very nice and is flush, it is somewhat useless in the sense that I can not really gauge how far I am to something as it's positioned to look straight back, versus down at an angle. Overall I do like the way it fits in there and if anything, it was more of a "install it because I can" vs a "I need this to backup" feature. I use it everyday as I back up into my stall underground just as a reference but obviously still ultimately use the mirrors and physically turning my head for the final parking.

PS: I got mines off Ebay from China and it took about 10 business days. I am in Canada.
Tchleung is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
location, reverse camera, zhp